News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter

Started by trevor74, July 28, 2009, 10:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trevor74

So somethings really off with my starter. When I start the car it sounds like it just jumps off and spins freely but only sometimes. And also it when it starts the starter seems to run to long like it gets stuck maybe catches on the starter wheel? And it seems that maybe the starter wheel rubs on the starter when its running sometimes. I looked at the starter wheel and some of the teeth are getting worn out but i just replaced it last winter and ive only driven it like 5 times since than and i know it shouldnt be like that, it is an aftermarket one so im not sure if that makes a difference. I checked the starter and wheel is all tightened down. But it just keeps doing that. The starter is only a year old as well.

any suggestions?

RD

solenoid or ignition switch holding up.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ACUDANUT

Yea, one of the two for sure. :Twocents:

trevor74

well i replaced the solenoid about a year ago but it could still have been a bad one to start out with.

trevor74

Would the solenoid or ignition switch being bad cause it to jump everyonce in a while when you first go to crank it over though?

RD

jump as in "start to turn, stop turning, then start to turn again?" or ???
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

trevor74

Like its turning the motor over than it just stops turning it over like it slipped over the starter wheel and the starter spins freely

ACUDANUT

Quote from: RD on July 28, 2009, 10:43:41 PM
solenoid or ignition switch holding up.
Do this.

RD

Quote from: trevor74 on July 29, 2009, 11:40:08 PM
Like its turning the motor over than it just stops turning it over like it slipped over the starter wheel and the starter spins freely

i would pull the starter off and take it in to your local parts dealer and have them test it.  secondly, i would check your ring gear on your torque converter to ensure that there are no extremely worn or missing teeth.  see if you can find a old starter somewhere from someone to use as a test on your car.  if the same thing is happening, your ring gear on your converter may not have been installed properly when you put a new one on (i.e. it is not welded correctly and at certain points the distance between the ring gear and bendix gear are not contacting/seating properly enough to turn the engine over).

hope this helps.

ACUDANUT

However, remember starters behave differently when under a load (in a Car) as to just being tested a auto parts store.