News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Intake question

Started by TylerCharger69, July 28, 2009, 02:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

I've been looking through various catalogs to determine what would be best for my 440 build. (I was GOING to go with a 6-pack, but way too pricey for my budget and I hear they could be a pain).  I'm leaning toward an INDY intake.  Anyway....what does it mean when it says  "Features a 180 degree Firing Order"?  Does this mean I have to change the characteristics of the distributor??  Or....are the runners in different positions....and....what purpose does it serve?

firefighter3931

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on July 28, 2009, 02:21:21 PM

I've been looking through various catalogs to determine what would be best for my 440 build. (I was GOING to go with a 6-pack, but way too pricey for my budget and I hear they could be a pain).  I'm leaning toward an INDY intake.  Anyway....what does it mean when it says  "Features a 180 degree Firing Order"?  Does this mean I have to change the characteristics of the distributor??  Or....are the runners in different positions....and....what purpose does it serve?

What is the combo ? Compression/cam/converter/gears/headers etc...
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ACUDANUT

I use the Torker. Your firing order will never change with any intake.  :Twocents:

Ghoste

As I understand the 180 intake it's a marketing term that Offenhauser or Wieand started using to indicate that one half of the carb fed one bank and vice versa?  In other words, a dual plane intake.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Ghoste on July 28, 2009, 10:28:20 PM
As I understand the 180 intake it's a marketing term that Offenhauser or Wieand started using to indicate that one half of the carb fed one bank and vice versa?  In other words, a dual plane intake.
TRUE.

TylerCharger69

Actually   I was looking at edelbrocks when I saw that.   The engine is mostly stock, 906 heads, I may be adding roller rockers, and an off idle to 5500 RPM camshaft.  (maybe in the 474/284 area)  It has the stock converter....though a bit smaller in diameter than the original 383 (Did I say this was a 440?)  MSD ignition 3:23 Sure Grip.....So....if that helps....that's why I was leaning toward the INDY intake.

firefighter3931

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on July 29, 2009, 12:24:23 AM
Actually   I was looking at edelbrocks when I saw that.   The engine is mostly stock, 906 heads, I may be adding roller rockers, and an off idle to 5500 RPM camshaft.  (maybe in the 474/284 area)  It has the stock converter....though a bit smaller in diameter than the original 383 (Did I say this was a 440?)  MSD ignition 3:23 Sure Grip.....So....if that helps....that's why I was leaning toward the INDY intake.

You definately want a dual plane with that combo.  :yesnod: I would look at a different cam....something like the Engle K56 would be better suited to that stall and gearing. A good choice for the intake manifold is a vintage CH4B which sits at the same height as the stock intake manifold so your throttle cable and kickdown linkage will bolt right up with no mods.  :2thumbs: Thses sell on e-bay all the time for ~ $125

The ICH dual plane is an excellent piece as well but it is pricy and overkill for a mild build like yours.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TylerCharger69

You don't think the K54 would be better for my application?  Or would that be too mild?

Purple440

This one might work for you: http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1578&gid=287
(k54 is mild and boring  ::))

Engle will make you a split pattern also if you ask them.  According to the education I've received from Ron and the guys here, you want a split pattern cam with iron heads to help expel the exhaust gases, especially when using standard exhaust manifolds rather than headers.

For the intake, you could pick up a M1-dual plane manifold which is rated idle-6000 RPM.  Stock replacement, no hassles.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-5153525/

g/l  :2thumbs:

- Doug