News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It's finally home!!!

Started by richRTSE, July 27, 2009, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richRTSE

Well, it's been an anxious couple weeks for me, but my C500 is finally home!!! The one from the Columbus Craigslist ad. (Thanks Paul for not spilling the beans) Here's a little time frame of my adventure...Saturday morning 2 weeks ago, a friend and I went to look at it. The impression I had was a number's matching 500 with new rust-free quarters. Well, when we got there and started loking at the car, it seemed that both quarters are probably going to have to come off. The trunk floor, taillight panel, rear valance, and maybe outer wheel houses will have to be redone also. But, I still thought "hey, it's a number's matching car!" Then I crawled under to check the VINs and found the engine is original, but the trans is out of a '70. I was quite disappointed. I told Ed (the seller) about the trans, and he was quite suprised to learn this. I believe he really thought it was the original trans, as he never had it out of the car. So after looking at the car and talking with Ed (who is a super nice guy, I might ad) for about an hour, I made an offer that was too low for him to take. I understood that I was the first guy to see the car, and didn't expect him to give it away. Ed also told me several people had called, even one from Finland (Tyly?). So, I left for home figuring someone else was going to get this car, and I'd be happy with my 500/Daytona clone I planned to build. And Sunday we left for vacation.

Then all day Sunday and Monday morning it was eating at me.  :'( This was probably the closest I'd ever be to getting a real 500 at an "affordable" price. So I talked with the wife (thanks Valerie!), called about getting a loan, then called Ed back to raise my offer. Ed told me someone from Indiana had looked at the car and was coming back later that day with a trailer and cash.  :brickwall: I told him if that deal fell through, I'd really like the car, and made my new offer. He said he'd call me if anything changed. Fortunately, I did get that call, and the rest is history as they say. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

The car has been an Ohio car it's whole life, bought new in Columbus. Ed bought it in '83 (not running)from the previous owner, who had won it in a drag race. It had already been painted black, so I haven't been able to determine the original stripe color yet. The decklid is not original, but it looks like they reused the original close out panel. The engine has been rebuild by Ed, but in the 26 years he owned it, he only put ONE mile on it! I have boxes to go through still, but heres what I got so far: The fender tag and build sheet,  :2thumbs: the rear window is there as well as the trim (just missing one  lower corner piece), both A-pillars look great, the headlight brackets and fillers, dash is complete with Tic-tock-tach, and the taillights are original too (left one has "NO" in yellow). It's really a pretty plain car. T5 Copper, column shift, no buddy seat, no headrests, manual brakes. The wheel code on the build sheet is W25, I think thats dogdish wheel covers? I sold my numbers matching T5 '69 Dart GTS (340/4-speed) last year to buy parts for my clone, so it's nice to have another copper car. Unfortunately, I broke the bank to get this car, so I might not be able to start on until next year after tax time. I'll probably try to sell some parts (if anyone wants one of Dane's Daytona wings, I'll probably be selling mine for what I paid-$1600, and can deliver to the Mopar Nats). But at least I have my Aero car, and for now at least, I kept my '69 R/T as well.

:cheers:

richRTSE

more...

richRTSE

more...

richRTSE

69 OUR/TEA

Much congrats!!!!!! :2thumbs: Love the T5!!!!! Half the fun of this hobby is the "hunt and score" of these machines.Followed by the restos !!!!! Once again,great find and congrats !!!!!!

moparstuart

awesome man great deal   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Congrad's Rich !!!!! It's a nice feeling knowing  you own an original XX29 car............ The car should look awesome.... More than likely with the black interior, the car came with a black stripe,, but white stands out so much better on T5..

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

richRTSE

Thanks, guys. I had to promise Ed I'd come down and take him for a ride when it's done. I think he was happy to keep the car in Ohio.

More than likely I will go with the white stripe, I think it looks great on this car...

PocketThunder

:2thumbs:  Ya buddy!

See if you can dig around the marker light area in the quarter panels and find some left over stripe material to determine the color, thats how i found out my stripe color.  Or would it say on the build sheet?   :shruggy:

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

Nice to see that car went to a member here so we can follow it's progress.  :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 27, 2009, 10:02:25 AM

See if you can dig around the marker light area in the quarter panels and find some left over stripe material to determine the color, thats how i found out my stripe color.  Or would it say on the build sheet?   :shruggy:

Paul

Nope.........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

richRTSE

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 27, 2009, 10:02:25 AM

Paul

Unfortunately, both quarters have been replaced, and the decklid. The rear side markers are original, but it looks like copper under the black paint. I don't think the side markers got matched to the stripes, at least not on early (Sept 29th) cars.

richRTSE

Can anyone confirm that W25 is steel wheels and redline dogdish covers? And what is a 3443 951 radiator from?

Thanks, Rich

BigBlockSam

congrats  :cheers: i dig T5 Copper cars . my roadrunner is T5 . i think you made a great score.  :2thumbs:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nascarxx29

Will see if I can find the W25 code and llok up that part #

W25 HD stamped wheels 69-71
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

W25 is stamped steel wheels and the 951 rad is for a 71 383 with a/c in a full size car?   I must not be reading it right.  :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Ghoste on July 27, 2009, 01:04:10 PM
W25 is stamped steel wheels and the 951 rad is for a 71 383 with a/c in a full size car?   I must not be reading it right.  :shruggy:

NO, I think you are reading it correctly........ That car, if it's a 440 auto with 3.23's should have a 22" radiator, not a 26....... By the looks of it, it looks as if someone's replaced the radiator. Simple verification would be the fender tag. If there's no "26" stamped on it, it's a 22" car. Now, there's a '69 22" radiator on moparts now......

Troy

Check your PM...
Troy

unrulyprocuda

Hows a guy going to sell a wing and parts that hides his email adress and dont post one on his listing of parts for sale Im interested in the wing and other parts email me at unrulyprocuda@aol.com or call Bob McCarty at 812-774-7800 i will be going to the nats :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: unrulyprocuda on July 27, 2009, 01:29:24 PM
Hows a guy going to sell a wing and parts that hides his email adress and dont post one on his listing of parts for sale Im interested in the wing and other parts email me at unrulyprocuda@aol.com or call Bob McCarty at 812-774-7800 i will be going to the nats :shruggy:

You can send him a PM and it will automatically go to the registered email address........
Troy

tan top

:2thumbs:  cool    :drool5:   ............................. :popcrn:

:'( ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69bronzeT5

Very cool! Congrats on the great score :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

EMF

Wondering how much was the purchase price of the c500. Trying to get idea of what to put mine up for sale along with all the other stuff I have. Seems I will never get to restoring any of them. I need to get pictures taken and a complete list to post all info.

Blown70

Quote from: EMF on July 27, 2009, 04:59:19 PM
Wondering how much was the purchase price of the c500. Trying to get idea of what to put mine up for sale along with all the other stuff I have. Seems I will never get to restoring any of them. I need to get pictures taken and a complete list to post all info.

I would like to place a bet with that statement now how many PM's, you will get looking to buy...... :scratchchin:

richRTSE

Quote from: EMF on July 27, 2009, 04:59:19 PM
Wondering how much was the purchase price of the c500. Trying to get idea of what to put mine up for sale along with all the other stuff I have.

Well, I'll just say it was a little less than his original asking price of $16,500 and definately more than my first low ball offer ::) of $12,500. I spent more than I really could afford right now, but I don't feel I over paid for it. I bet if he would have towed it to the Mopar Nationals, he probably could have got $20,000 for it. Now it will just be awhile before I can start on it.