News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

launch tecnique for 4-spd

Started by rick.d, July 25, 2009, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick.d

I need tips on a launch tecnique for a 4 -spd car. This is what i got. 70 Charger, 383 bored .040 KB Domed pistons, Muscle Motors street killer heads w 2.14 Intakes, CC 268 XE .477/.480 cam. Edelbrock performer RPM intake, # 3310 holley 750, # 69 jets with stock Magnum exhaust manifolds into a 2.5" TTI with Flowmaster 40"s. Rear is 3.23 SG. Tires are 275/50/15 BFG. I also have a Centerforce clutch and PP assy. What tire psi would you use, and launch rpm? . What would a respectable E.T . be/speed assuming i can gat a good 60 ft. time be?? Thanks.

mauve66

rpm 5500, side step clutch, if the tires spin then get wider and stickier tires :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

BROCK

You could try loading up the chassis before sidestepping if it spins.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

charger_fan_4ever

First things first if your going to race it get some slicks on there. I wouldn't go taller than 26 inch. Forget the drag radials with a stick car go right to a bias ply slick.

Then bring it to the limiter and side step the clutch. :2thumbs:

mauve66

hopefully the u-joints are up to snuff...................................................... :P
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

471_Magnum

Unless you're looking to just break shit, forget what everyone just told you.  :RantExplode:

First you need to understand that something in the driveline needs the ability to slip. Putting slicks on a stick car with a stout clutch and side stepping is a recipe for disaster. You'll either get nasty wheel hop, or mechanical failure or both.

Trick to launching a stick car is having a controlled level of slip, either in the tires, or the clutch.

With the slimey BFG T/As, you will probably find the best technique is to modulate the throttle and clutch out of the hole, then WFO through the gears. It's not particularly flashy, but it's effective.

Another aspect is tuning. Tuning carb and timing on a stick car is a bit trickier than an auto. You've got to avoid bogs. With an auto, you've pretty much just got to get it to the floor once, where as a stick you tend to throttle it a bit through the gears. That's another lesson in itself.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

471_Magnum

Oh yeah... GET A DRIVE SHAFT LOOP!

It's required if running slicks, and just plain smart if you're going to make a habit of racing.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

mauve66

if the front wheels aren't in the air then you need more traction
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: mauve66 on July 26, 2009, 04:18:00 PM
if the front wheels aren't in the air then you need more traction

Exactly

Been racing for 5 years in another brand car :P
Last thing you want is less traction or slipping.

Noway you will get a stick car to 60 foot in the sub 2.0 sec range on a street radial.
60 foot times greater than 1.6-1.7 = :(
Unless you have sticky tires drag racing is just pounding on the car for nothing cause you will be disappointed in times. If your worried about breaking parts keep it on the show field. Drag racing is a crap shoot you might break and you might not. Thats why my charger won't see any track time. I have a small block mustang  :icon_smile_blackeye: screamer for racing.

Only time I have seen a car wheel hop with slicks is if they have 500 hp at the tires and a poorly set up suspension.

six-tee-nine

I'm not a horsepower guru but if you are about to put alot of horses on a drive train you'll gonna need more than a good clutch and some sticky tires.
A Dana 60 will be on your list, along with some good universal joints and a strong drive shaft with a loop around it.

A 8 3/4 rear will snap eventually with slick tires...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...