News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 intake on 318?

Started by twilt, November 20, 2005, 06:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilt

before i rip into it, just wanted to make sure that a 1973 340 intake (w/egr ports)  i have kicking around will bolt up on a 318 w/o any problems. this really isnt a performance issue, more of a low buck issue. The 72 charger i just bought from Stormhammer has a 318 2bbl, the carb is physically broken. a rebuilt one costs around $100 or so. i have the 340 intake and a 600 cfm Carter AFB competion series carb (9605s) laying around.  any problem with this swap?

cudaken

Not a LA guy (small block) but I am 98% sure you will be fine.

Cuda Ken
I am back

8WHEELER

I put a 70 340 Magnum intake and 600 Holley on my 77 Dodge Power Wagon 318. Then a
set of basic headers, boy the intake and carb really helped then the headers were
installed, the small things can really help a small block  ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Chryco Psycho

grouseman

Don't forget you'll need an air cleaner housing for a 4 bbl carb.  And maybe a longer throttle cable, but not always.  But you'll definitely need the 4bbl kickdown linkage.  A new gas line also.  What about the choke?  Carb base and intake gaskets, too. 

You may be $$ ahead by replacing the 2bbl carb. 

Nacho-RT74

Here in Venezuela the 70 2 doors Coronets ( called also R/Ts  but had standarts/superbees tailpanel and standart cluster but with buckets and console and superbees hoods ) and 71/72 Chargers had from Factory 318/4bbls setups with TQ.

http://www.allpar.com/world/chrysler-de-venezuala.html

As far I know there is no 318 with 4bbls intakes as original equipment in USA, and only way was install 340 intakes. Here in Venezuela was as far I know in that way assemblied.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

twilt

looks like there is a couple problems with my idea. the carb hits the egr valve, and the primary butterflys are bigger than the space in the corresponding area on the intake. if the carb is bolted down, the butterflies hit the intake , when opened.  i suppose i will probably need a real thick spacer and maybe make an egr block off plate, to make this work. The other thing i may do is pull the aluminum edelbrock intake off of my 72 Rallye and use it. i had bought the numbers correct unit for it awhile back but hadn't installed it yet. think the eddy
is a LD 340 intake or something like that.     

cudaken

Looks like we all had a brain fart. 73 is a thermaquad carb and 600 Eddie is a sqare bore carb. Soory about that. There are, or where adpter plates for around $20.00 or so when I was messing with spread bores carbs. Guess you could flip them upside down?

Heck,check on E-Stupid! Might find one that will work for around $50.00 or so.

Cuda Ken
I am back

grouseman

DON'T use the LD340 on a stock 318.  It will kill your throttle response.  Big plenum, big runners, big ports.  Use a new Performer, or an old SP2P. 

grouseman

twilt

okay, thanks for that heads up. right now, it looks like the simplest thing to do is pony up the 100 bucks and get a rebuilt 2bbl carb. all i want out the car right now is for it to run/drive , performance isnt an issue. if it was, i`d pull the 318 and build a 360.

Chryco Psycho

or the LD4B if you can find one , it was specifically designed for the 318