News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you have a "part time" head gasket leak?..

Started by ramairthree, July 25, 2009, 09:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

In the past 2000 miles on my 69,
I have gone through about a quart and a half of oil.

How does that stand overall?

My radiator coolant is a mix of water, antifreeze, and water wetter. It has always been at the same level, except after one day of really getting after it with a lot of high 3000s and some over 4000 rpm driving.
It was about an inch down.
No evidence of oil in the coolant, never seen white exhaust smoke, etc.

Now, I smoke the tires now and then, usually drive about 55 yo 65 mph in it, and no decrease fluid level.

I got after it again with a little over 4000 rpm driving, no decreased coolant level, but on my regular oil/coolant check,

saw this...

this is the first time I have seen any flecks of what could be oil.  (I am not sure if watter wetter can cause any flecks)

I am tempted to stick to keeping it under 3500 rpm,
the car is basically a toy I like to drive to work now and then, take the kids out for ice cream in, etc.
you get the picture. It is not my drag car or daily driver,

and give a try to KW additive,
and see if it works.

Unless I was losing more oil, or had a repeat loss of fluid level,
I am shying off of full replacement.

Just looking to see what you all think of the plan.

It seems to only have lost coolant under very high rpms. (This engine is a 69 Pontiac RAIII 400, it red lines at 5200 rpm)  So, what I am getting at,
is it possible that there is not leak,
but when I get everything up around 4000rpm it leaks then?

Forgive me for being a pontiac AND Mopar guy,
I know this is not a Charger specific question.

flyinlow

I am not a Tin Indian expert, but since were both in the same boat...Pontiacs are orphans and Mopars are related to Fiat now, I will give you my  :Twocents:

If it was mine I would wax it and go out and try to wear it out.

1 1/2 qts of oil in 2000 miles is not a problem.

Keep an Eye on the coolant level and not worry.  Are you sure you are not venting coolant? As your cooling system ages and becomes less efficient your occasional higher power runs may just be expanding the coolant to where some overflows. Then when you check it when it is cool it looks alittle low.

ramairthree

Thanks for the reply, I am thinking along the same lines.

Really getting into the goat for some work will delay my plans to snag a 70 driver, and drive as I convert to a Daytona.

Yep.....
its sad- guys that gave us 442s, ram air, and road runners are no longer companies

I cringe at the thought of what cash for clunkers will do to the price of many cars out there

TylerCharger69

judging by the swirling "chocolate milk" look in that radiator....it does indeed look like there is oil getting into the cooling system.  You may want to keep an eye on your crankcase oil and make sure it doesn't develop that chocolate milk look.  Doesn't look like large amounts yet, but it will not fix itself over time...it'll only get worse.  Just keep your foot out of it for now until you find and solve the problem.  My guess  would be a head gasket though

firefighter3931

Have a look at your plugs for evidence of water in the cylinder....plug(s) will look "steam cleaned". If you find that coolant is making it into a cylinder try adding a can of Bars Leak....the stuff works great. It won't last forever but should keep you up and running until you rebuild....unless the gasket is completely wasted. From  the looks of things, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs