News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint the inside?

Started by Belgium R/T -68, July 23, 2009, 02:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Should the doors be painted black on the inside to prevent the bodycolour to be seen from the inside? With my sublime
it will propably be rather visible. How do you guys do? :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Mike DC

The original cars I've seen all have the exterior color on the metal in the doorjambs in the areas outside the rubber weatherstripping.  Inside the rubber seals, the metal is painted the same color as the vinyl on the door panels.  The interior paint that matched the vinyl shade was not fully glossy.

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks Mike :2thumbs: That means for me black inside, can I use the holes for the wheaterstriping as point of masking off?

Per

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 23, 2009, 04:37:52 AM
Thanks Mike :2thumbs: That means for me black inside, can I use the holes for the wheaterstriping as point of masking off?

Per

Exactly
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: 1hot68 on July 23, 2009, 08:19:35 AM
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 23, 2009, 04:37:52 AM

Per

Exactly

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 23, 2009, 02:23:36 AM
Should the doors be painted black on the inside to prevent the bodycolour to be seen from the inside? With my sublime
it will propably be rather visible. How do you guys do? :scratchchin:

Per

What does your tag and/or sheet show for UDF - Upper Door Frame color?

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks for the inputs :2thumbs:

For the UDF, I don't know how to see that.

Per

maxwellwedge

If you have your fender tag and/or buildsheet it will be on there. What is on the second line from the bottom of your tag? It will be the code after your interior code. Example V2 V2 C6X X9 . . On a 69 tag the X9 is your UDF color. In this example X9 = Black. What year car? Oops - Just noticed your nic - 68 RT. On a 68 Tag it will be the character under The "U" in UBS. A "B" would be Black.

Troy

Yeah, but his car is lime green so the actual numbers/codes won't really help... :D

The code on the fender tag relates to "upper door paint" but, on a Charger, the main area you need to look out for is the bottom of the door. The door panel ends 2.5-3" above the bottom of the door so if it's painted body color and the interior is different it will be very obvious. You see this a lot on General Lees for some reason. :shruggy: In your case, there will be a highly visible green strip along the bottom of the door outlined by the black door panel, black carpet, black kick panel, and black rear side panel if you don't paint the door. The factory didn't paint the entire inner door - they basically just shot a ring around the outer edge. The line between colors follows the weatherstripping on the outer edge but is haphazard in the middle (if you care about originality).

Here's some pictures of the door paint to match the white interior on my bronze 68:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks Troy :2thumbs: The sublime would certainly be highly visible. :yesnod:

Per

Mike DC

QuoteYou see this on a lot of General Lees for some reason.

Here's what I wanna know about GL doorjambs:  If Luke welded the doors shut before the car was painted orange (like the birth-of-GL episode portrayed) . . . then why would there be any orange metal in the doorjambs at all?

:scratchchin:

six-tee-nine

Thanks troy,

These are nice reference pictures for the restores among us...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

On the toprow on the fendertag, under the letter "U" I have the number 1.

Per

maxwellwedge

The small "u" on the top row is not the one I mentioned. The one you are describing with the 1 beneath it means Sold Car.

The "U" I was talking about is on the third row from the bottom - where it has UBS. The number under that large U tells you your original upper door frame color.

Belgium R/T -68

Indeed, Colourcode JJ1 and UBS code B.

Per