News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Road Runner History and Identification

Started by 68X426, July 22, 2009, 03:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

Can anyone supply info about, or offer reference sources for, the following?

What is the date of the first Road Runner production vehicles to roll of the line?

Is there a record of quantity of the 1968 production, by both month and assembly plant?

Is it a different start date for each of the 3 assembly plants (Lynch, St. Louis, LA) or did they all start simultaneously?

On the fender tag what does the shipping order number signify? (the tag in question is a 1968 Road Runner, SO# 900505, what does 900505 mean?)

On the fender tag are the codes Y9 (special order) and 999 (special paint). Unfortunately, there is no broadcast sheet. Is there anyway to know the dealer for the Y9 (can't locate previous owners) and anyway to know the original paint (besides the physical inspection)?

Thank you for any assistance, Dan.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Don't know the production info you are seeking.  The complete total for 68 was around 45,000 but I'm guessing you already know that.  Production began with the rest of the Plymouth line in the beginning of August but I don't know the exact day.  The shipping order number is just what the name implies and is more of an internal tracking number for Chrysler I believe (although useful for matching numbers).  To the left of it on the same row you should see a three digit number that will tell you the build date and that is likely of more interest to you.  The special order doesn't tell where just that it's a special order.  There are any number of reasons that it could be special but you'll need the broadcast sheet to know where it was going.  The paint code one is equally vague.   That code was an anything goes code so the physical inspection is your only option here.

68X426

Thanks ghoste for the input. I've contacted Galen Govier for advice. But the response is that they are one year behind. I'll keep digging.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

ODZKing

Here is the SO # breakdown for Chargers as I understand it.
Sequence number is for all lines out of an individual plant, and starts at 100001, except Dart, which starts at 500001.
If you have a Charger with a 100098, you would have the 98th car out of the plant, not necessarily the 98th Charger.
So I would think that the "9" is for B body Plymouth and it would be the 505th car out of that plant.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: ODZKing on July 29, 2009, 02:28:23 PM
Here is the SO # breakdown for Chargers as I understand it.
Sequence number is for all lines out of an individual plant, and starts at 100001, except Dart, which starts at 500001.Which was true for the Dart in earlier years; not in '68.

If you have a Charger with a 100098, you would have the 98th car out of the plant, not necessarily the 98th Charger.You would have the car with the 97th assigned VIN. Cars were not built nor roll out of the plant is sequential order. The VIN is an administrative number not a production number.

So I would think that the "9" is for B body Plymouth and it would be the 505th car out of that plant.The SO number assignment is contingent on other factors or some sort of special attention to production or delivery. It is not necessarily a sequential number nor directly related to production assembly sequence.

It seems as if you are confusing the VIN number with the Sales Order (SO) number.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

maxwellwedge

Not sure about '68 but 900000 SO numbers are reserved for special models in '69 like A12's and 440 A-Bodies for example.

Whats your scheduled date and VIN # ?

69CoronetRT

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 29, 2009, 07:10:35 PM
Not sure about '68 but 900000 SO numbers are reserved for special models in '69 like A12's and 440 A-Bodies for example.

Whats your scheduled date and VIN # ?

In 68, the 900 SO series would include special order cars like a run of Hemi Darts and the Dart GSS. It could included other things too like special modifications or delivery. This would be consistent with his Y/9 699 special order code on his tag.

His 900 SO number is most likely triggered by the 999 paint code.

He has also asked the same question on many other boards yet failed to reply to follow up questions that may help clarify his questions.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

maxwellwedge

Yup - I just looked up a 68 S/S and a GSS I forgot I had on file. Maybe GG can help in a year  ;D

ODZKing

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on July 29, 2009, 06:53:49 PM
It seems as if you are confusing the VIN number with the Sales Order (SO) number.
Yep, you are correct.  I was looking at vin info. 
I went through my paperwork and found my SO# information. SONUMBER: 52508038 = Scheduled build date: Thursday, May 25, 1967 -   Production Order Number: 08038.
So did they change this in later years?

hemi-hampton

In later years the SO was changed to VON. Vehicle Order Number. LEON.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: ODZKing on July 29, 2009, 10:00:18 PM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on July 29, 2009, 06:53:49 PM
Yep, you are correct.  I was looking at vin info.  
I went through my paperwork and found my SO# information. SONUMBER: 52508038 = Scheduled build date: Thursday, May 25, 1967 -   Production Order Number: 08038.
So did they change this in later years?

The SO number changed over the years. As Leon said, by 69 it's usually called the Vehicle Order number or VON. Technically the SO/VON contains the SPD and the unique four, five or six digit number together but most people only refer to the last digits as the SO/VON. The interesting thing about 67 and earlier SO numbers is that virtually all of the SOs for a particular body style use the same first digits. For example, allmost all of the 67 Chargers will start with 08. Almost all of the 66's start with 09. I have a theory as to how the pre 68 SO numbers worked but I haven't had time to test it yet.

68X426

Magnum: Thank you for the suggestion. I've been trading e-mails with Barry but there are lots of gaps with 1968 info about the factories and the tag system. There is however lots of details about 67 and earlier, and lots on 69 and later. Chrysler tried changes in 68 and, as I have learned, everyone with a 68 car chases after tag info. I didn't know that 68 was the odd-ball tag year.

69CoronetRT: yes, I posted on other boards. So? Also, what questions were asked? The first one was posted today, here, just hours ago. What's the rush? You and my wife, no patience. (That's a joke; I do thank you for your input and feedback).

Info: VIN is RM21H8G20***, date is 0315. We have decoded the entire tag, we just don't know what the 900505 means. (paint code is 999, and it's Y9 special delivery). I just didn't know that it's impossible to find the dealer as well as factory info.

This is like being deep in the lost pharoh's pyramid, trying to read the writings on the wall. I guess the oldtimers know this; I thought it would be more readily available. It's been a learning experience.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 68X426 on July 30, 2009, 01:06:52 AM

69CoronetRT: yes, I posted on other boards. So? Also, what questions were asked? The first one was posted today, here, just hours ago. What's the rush? You and my wife, no patience. (That's a joke; I do thank you for your input and feedback).

Info: VIN is RM21H8G20***, date is 0315. We have decoded the entire tag, we just don't know what the 900505 means. (paint code is 999, and it's Y9 special delivery). I just didn't know that it's impossible to find the dealer as well as factory info.

Dan on Moparts asked you if this was an Omaha Orange car.

Given the info posted so far, the 900 VON and Y/9 was most likely triggered by the special paint. The 505 means this was the 504th car issued a 900 series VON.

Every plant treated the Y/9 coding differently. Here's a '68 999 paint Y/9 tag that appears to be from a LA built car. It does not use the 900 series SO. Yet in 69, the LA plant used specialty VONs for paint and STL didn't use them that much.

BTW...Sounds like a great car.

hemigeno

I've heard/read that the VON in '69 (for non-special-order cars, and even those cars had a predecessor VON that was changed when the assembly plant did their pre-build administrative work) was tied to the original dealer's order sheet, and that the order sheets were given to the dealers by Chrysler's district/regional sales manager - or whatever their title was. 

There are numerous instances where dealership VONs (not the "special order" VON numbers either) are sequential, and some area/regional dealerships had very similar VON sequences, which lends some credence to the district sales manager line of thought.

Anyone else heard of such, and would this help decipher some of the 1968 S.O. mysteries?

68X426

Dan at Moparts was answered. I saw that question after I saw the VIN question here. This forum has the best active participants and dialogues, so I check here first when I can get on-line.

My Runner was an original Petty Blue, today it's Hemi Orange. It was a mistake that a previous owner repainted it, but we aren't in a position to bring back the Petty Blue.

So does the 900505 means the 505th special order/paint out of St. Louis in 68?

Or is it the 505th special that came from all 3 plants making Road Runners?

Or - I have also been told - the 900505 simply means that it was the 900,505th vehicle of all types of all the Chryslers produced in 68, coming from 8 USA plants and one Canada plant, out of approximately 1.6 million cars in 68? And therefore it is just an administrative number, not a code holding any real info?

Sorry that I can't help 69CoronetRT collect data for 69's, it's a 68.

Thanks everyone, Dan.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

maxwellwedge

The VIN # is closely tied (usually) to when the car was built. I have seen plenty of low VON #'s with late shipping dates.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on July 30, 2009, 10:11:03 AM
I've heard/read that the VON in '69 (for non-special-order cars, and even those cars had a predecessor VON that was changed when the assembly plant did their pre-build administrative work) was tied to the original dealer's order sheet, and that the order sheets were given to the dealers by Chrysler's district/regional sales manager - or whatever their title was. 

Gene - I can tell you with 100% certainty that '70 SO's are the P.O. numbers from the dealer (Chrysler supplied) order sheets. I have a few originals (they are yellow) from G-S Dodge. The only '69's I have seen are for A12 Bees and they were done on Coronet order forms....I'll check those out next.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 30, 2009, 11:03:46 AM

Gene - I can tell you with 100% certainty that '70 SO's are the P.O. numbers from the dealer (Chrysler supplied) order sheets. I have a few originals (they are yellow) from G-S Dodge. The only '69's I have seen are for A12 Bees and they were done on Coronet order forms....I'll check those out next.

Youdaman...  Thanks!

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 68X426 on July 30, 2009, 10:38:14 AM
Dan at Moparts was answered. I saw that question after I saw the VIN question here. This forum has the best active participants and dialogues, so I check here first when I can get on-line.

My Runner was an original Petty Blue, today it's Hemi Orange. It was a mistake that a previous owner repainted it, but we aren't in a position to bring back the Petty Blue.

So does the 900505 means the 505th special order/paint out of St. Louis in 68? The 900 series VON could have been used for several applications. The 505 means it was the 504th car assigned the 900 series SO for whatever reason.

Or is it the 505th special that came from all 3 plants making Road Runners?The 900 series may have been used at any of the plants. So you could find a 900 SO on a Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Imperial or Valiant from any plant. The SO was assigned at a central office and the order shipped to a specific plant depending on the build requirements For example, the SO for Hemi Darts and Barracudas were assigned at the central office and sent to Hamtramck only, or it could have been sent to any plant capable of fulfilling that specific request. For example, a special order paint Road Runner would have been routed to LA, Lynch Road or St. Louis.

Or - I have also been told - the 900505 simply means that it was the 900,505th vehicle of all types of all the Chryslers produced in 68, coming from 8 USA plants and one Canada plant, out of approximately 1.6 million cars in 68? And therefore it is just an administrative number, not a code holding any real info?Totally incorrect. That's not what the SO number was for. The SO number is unique to each car. It is not a sequential number that is affected by total production.

Sorry that I can't help 69CoronetRT collect data for 69's, it's a 68.

Thanks everyone, Dan.

69CoronetRT

The SO as derived from the dealer order sheets began in 68. (See the attached 68 Barracuda order sheet. The SO is the six digit number on the right. 167702). This applies to normal production cars and not those that required special production, such as 999 paint cars or S/S cars, or special handling/end user cars such as dealer demos, lease cars, fleet cars, etc. Special SOs, such as the car in question, were assigned at the central office.

Brock Samson

thought I'd share a couple RR Graphic Icons... I don't think these are the proper Warner Bros. Licenced ones.. but i thought they were cool,.. one is kinda big I may have to resize it...

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on July 30, 2009, 01:27:22 PM

The SO as derived from the dealer order sheets began in 68. (See the attached 68 Barracuda order sheet. The SO is the six digit number on the right. 167702). This applies to normal production cars and not those that required special production, such as 999 paint cars or S/S cars, or special handling/end user cars such as dealer demos, lease cars, fleet cars, etc. Special SOs, such as the car in question, were assigned at the central office.

Thanks for the info - That's good stuff to know  :cheers: