News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My restoration project (stolen for 22 years)

Started by no40jm, July 21, 2009, 07:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no40jm

Hello 1Rarebird,
I sand blasted the regulators and painted them with rustoleum SS and aluma blast. As far as the Dana and O'Connor, how do you know him and how do you know about the dana?  :o
"If you chop your own fire wood it will warm you twice."
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right." HF

ChgrSteve67

1RareBird

Lets just say I've been burned by him many, many times before as have some of my friends.  Comes off as a great guy though, so you have to be very careful dealing with him.  I can't repeat some of the more recent things I've learned about him but lets just say I would not be surprised to see him burst into flames if he got to close to a church.  The dana story does not surprise me a bit and I'm glad you worked hard to get it back.   
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

jeryst

Quote from: Chargerrtforme on June 03, 2010, 09:42:40 AM
Quote from: no40jm on August 03, 2009, 07:21:56 AM
Don't know if the guy ever get his money back, but I'm thinking he took the engine and transmission from the car before returning it to us.
I'll bet ya he would sell you the motor and trani back for.........2,000.00
Your story is amazing as you list exact days and dates. Surprised you didn't  mention who had what for dinner on those dates.  :lol:

That's the cops fault. He should have impounded the vehicle immediately without allowing the other guy any unsupervised access to it.
That's the way it is supposed to be done.

At the very least, he should have inventoried the whole thing, took pictures, and made sure it got back to you in proper condition.

doctor4766

Mate this story is surreal!!
What engine did she have originally?
Gotta love a '69

hemi-hampton

Congratulations. Looks good :2thumbs: I'll have to stop by & look at it in Person :scratchchin: did you wetsand & rub the paint. LEON.

68pplcharger

That is the coolest strory I've read on this site so far. Car looks awesome.  :2thumbs:

derailed

That car is coming out beautiful, Im sure your Grandpa is looking down right now on you and the car with a smile ear to ear. Its good that the cop actually went the extra mile to track the vin in the trunk down

no40jm

The car's original engine was a 318 with a 904 transmission. A couple of month's ago, I bought a 1969 440 engine and a 727 transmission for it.

I wet sanded the car with 1000,1500,2000 then used rubbing compound, leveling compound and then swirl remover. I'm waiting on waxing it till next year or before it sees sun light. Sure stop by some time.

Thank you,

I hope he is :yesnod:. I know for sure, if it wasn't for my Grandpa the car would still be sitting in the back of the garage.

richRTSE

I'm glad this story is having a happy ending. That color looks awesome! Can't wait to see it finished...

:2thumbs:

TUFCAT

I just read all six pages...great story!

I'm from the Detroit area also.... Can't wait to see it at a car show in the future. :icon_smile_wink:

Great job on the restoration! :2thumbs:   Looks like you've really been doing your homework.  

no40jm

Quote from: tan top on June 02, 2010, 02:47:36 PM
looking real good !! what a story that car has !! have keep the pictures coming !!   ,have you got any pictures of the car when it was recovered ?? :popcrn:

No pictures from when is was recovered but my dad did take a video of my Mom looking at the car the day it was recovered.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: no40jm on June 16, 2010, 11:37:58 AM
Quote from: tan top on June 02, 2010, 02:47:36 PM
looking real good !! what a story that car has !! have keep the pictures coming !!   ,have you got any pictures of the car when it was recovered ?? :popcrn:

No pictures from when is was recovered but my dad did take a video of my Mom looking at the car the day it was recovered.

It would be cool to see that :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

no40jm

Here's some new pictures of the car. The vinyl top is finally on the car.This was the first time I have installed a vinyl top. It was fun :icon_smile_big:!!!!!!!! Next up is the headliner.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69*F5*SE

no40jm

Here's some pictures of my heater control that performance car graphics restored for me. They charge $95.00 and do a great job!!!!!!!!

moparstuart

dave at performance car graphics always does a fantastic job   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TUFCAT

Like I said before...wow!!  What a great job. You really have your heart into this restoration, and it shows!  :2thumbs:

jaak

Looks great  :2thumbs: How did the vinyl top installation go, being it was your first time? Any tips/tricks?

Keep up the good work,
Jason

CRZNYT

What a great story and great job with the restoration, I would say a pro job by looking at it. I live in Windsor and have family in Garden City and West Land, hope to see it on the road soon during a visit or at the Woodward dream cruise sometime.
Keep up the great work.
Cheers Don  :cheers:
66 Charger
77 Charger Daytona
60 Plymouth Fury Convertible
65 T-Bird Convertible
76 Mustang Cobra II

no40jm

Quote from: jaak on July 25, 2010, 10:03:27 AM
Looks great  :2thumbs: How did the vinyl top installation go, being it was your first time? Any tips/tricks?

Keep up the good work,
Jason

It took me around 12 hours to install the top but it turned out great. Tip: Use heat in the hard areas and use claps to hold the top in place near the roof rails.

General_01

WOW! What more is there to say.

Great story and great work. :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

6pkrtse

NO40JM, this has been an awesome story. As mentioned above. "You really have your heart into this restoration, and it shows"! My love for cars is because of my Grandpa's old stories & also from my Dad.
I also live just outside out Detroit in Livonia. I have a couple of Chargers myself (Both 70's though) & if you ever need a hand with anything or may need any parts let me know. If I have something you can use I would donate whatever you need for the cause.
You should be proud this is an amazing job you have done on this car.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic