News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone actually tried disassembling the 71-74 Sport mirrors?

Started by WH23G3G, July 18, 2009, 08:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm going through so extra 73,74 junk I'm going to clean and keep boxed up. I have a left and right 73 mirror that I was going to put on my 73 but couldn't get them rechromed because of pitting. It was only one little pit and the plating guy said throw them away. I'm not going to do that if I can save them. I've got the remote LH side mirror all apart but absolutely cannot even see how you can separate the wire from the adjustment so that I could get the housing blasted. The RH side is actually even worse. I got one screw out of it but just cannot get anything in on the right side screw to disassemble it. Is anyone successfully disassembled,cleaned, and reassembled these mirrors? What I was going to do was get them blasted and paint them flat silver like they do on the TV show cars. It may not be bright and shiny chrome but it will still look ok and not cost $380 for a set. And no need to throw away two good mirrors. Is there a way to get the glass off successfully with out breaking it all? It's just adhesive backed right? I know I've posted about this before but I'm not sure it's been attempted much but I know I've heard some people have successfully done this.

ipstrategies

I am in a similar situation as you. I need to take mine apart but have waited.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

AKcharger

Gosh, it was a while ago but here's what I remember doing:

Soaking the whole thing in WD 40 for a few days, using an 90° screw driver I could get to the 2 ea. phillips screws. I remember almost breaking the mirror to get enough room for the screw driver but made it work. Once off then you can use a razor to cut the  mirror off the frame. Oh, one note, if the mirror is scratched you can reverse it and shzaam! no scrathes! it is a tad darker though

I never had to take the "guts" out, but withthe glass removed you shouls be able too.

Good luck!

AK

Nacho-RT74

The glass plate does have the hole provision to go through and remove the complete glass baseplate BUT I don't want to break the glass on one extra I got some time ago since phillips screws are stuck on cup. On some I have I was able remove screws with an L shaped screwdriver on the other ones but not on this.

If somebody have the key to unglue the glass will be great!!!

wires... need to spread out the wire ends locations ( they are crimped ) and remove joystick. needs care and patiente. label the where the wires were located on joisytic to preserve the right and matching movement on joystick with glass.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1ol72charger4me

Wow, this is the first time I didn't find an answer in the archives!! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one stumped on this one! I've been restoring cars for 20 years and I have got to say I have yet to come up with a good solution. Wd40 will discolor the silver on the glass if you aren't careful, the glue on the glass will not break it's bond when heated with a propane torch, the cable assembly severely limits the area to get to the screws and the only replacement glass I can find is $25 dollars per sideand I don't think it is rounded on the edge like the original. :brickwall: The best answer would be for someone to make a date coded mirror glass for about $10!! :yesnod:Then all you have to do is smash the old one out to get to the screws. Has anybody tried soaking one in brake fluid! I'm out of extras. It will strip a car model nicely.Somebody has the answer, they are just holding out...........

FLG

WH23G3G

I've tried woodgrain and decal remover and it didn't do anything. I've since quit trying. I got the remote control mirror disassembled except for the cable assembly. So if the guy who blasts it is careful he could blast the pedastal and frame as I need. But he will probably just refuse to do it because he'll be afraid he will break the glass or controls. I bought a special 90 degree screwdriver to try on the non-remote mirror and even after days of soaking the screw is in too tight to break with a hand or a pair of pliers on it for torque. Plus the screw driver is bent at 90 degrees and it still hits the edge of the glass right at the 90 degree bend so it's not flush in the screw. I've since put the mirrors aside again.

AKcharger

Quote from: 1ol72charger4me on July 27, 2009, 06:25:44 PM
Wd40 will discolor the silver on the glass if you aren't careful, the glue on the glass will not break it's bond when heated with a propane torch,

I don't doubt what you say but wd40 worked for me...I did both sides  :yesnod: