News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One Year Later

Started by Projekts, July 17, 2009, 02:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Projekts

So I bought my car a year ago. Since then I have spent a lot of time here reading up on how to fix the problems I've had. The help here has been invaluable to me, and I have also really enjoyed watching the progress as you guys fix your cars. So I figured it was time to stop mostly lurking and show you what I'm working on as well.

Thanks,
Justin

Here is what it looked like when I got it. It's a 1970 RT/SE

Projekts

I live in a San Diego where space is at a premium, so after it sat in my driveway about 5 months I moved it to my Father-in-Law's house. I fixed a lot of the interior parts during that time. So we took it mostly apart and I started bead blasting it to figure out what was under all of the Bondo.

I have been cutting, fabricating, and welding the body back together this summer. I have another shock tower for the passengers side ready to go in, all I have to do is lift the car. However it is about 115 degrees in the desert right now and I can't get anyone to come out and help out for an afternoon. Fortunately for me I have plenty of welding left to do on the roof, sail panels, deck filler panel. . .

69bronzeT5

Wow, you've been busy! Keep up the good work. :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

captnsim

1969chargerrtse

Thanks for sharing.  Great work.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69*F5*SE

Cool project. Keep us updated, especially with some pics.  It's very inspiring.   :cheers:  Ted

skip68

:2thumbs:   Great work.  Keep it going.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

The70RT

Great car. Looks like you did a lot so far. :2thumbs: 115.....DAMN  :flame: It has been hot here lately untill today....record lows tonight maybe  ;D (upper 50's) It has been easily a 100 in my garage for the last month or so with high humidity. I may get back out there this weekend.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back N Black

Nice work,keep the pics coming.  :2thumbs:

BB1

I'll be living in San Diego in a few weeks, if you need any help give me a call.  :2thumbs:
Charger man since 1983.
Delete my profile

Projekts

Thanks Guys I really appreciate the words of encouragement. Really I'm just trying to catch up with you. I'll make sure to take loads of pictures.

Quote from: The70RT on July 17, 2009, 07:55:27 PM
Great car. Looks like you did a lot so far. :2thumbs: 115.....DAMN  :flame: It has been hot here lately untill today....record lows tonight maybe  ;D (upper 50's) It has been easily a 100 in my garage for the last month or so with high humidity. I may get back out there this weekend.
Upper 50's? I hope it stays cool for you long enough to keep your garage below 100, humidity is a real killer. I'm back in San Diego cooling off, officially waiting on some sheetmetal shipments before I go back and face the real heat again.

Quote from: BB1 on July 18, 2009, 02:05:14 PM
I'll be living in San Diego in a few weeks, if you need any help give me a call.  :2thumbs:
Charger man since 1983.
Thank you I really appreciate it, I'll take all of the help I can get.

terrible one

Looking good man! Lots of stuff going on there. I can dig you on the heat and no one wanting to help you! Been 100-105 with 90% humidity most of my Charger days this summer  :rotz:

mopar73

Keep up the good work :2thumbs:  We always like pics

Silver R/T

lots of work done, dont quit now
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TiMopar

Good job there fella! Hope you are going to keep it Green!

Projekts

So now I've been working on this car for almost a year and a half! Time really flies. Here are some of the sheet metal repairs that have occupied my time.

The usual battery tray rot on the inner fender, I got a new/old one and only had to repair the back corner behind the hinge and move the hole for the battery hold down.

Projekts

I had to replace the radiator housing because the lower corners had rotted out behind the brazing. I fixed the holes in the upper housing that had been drilled out by the former owner for hood-pins. After I welded it back together I realized I didn't put the sides behind the frame rail tabs.  :brickwall:

So I cut out and put it back together correctly.

Projekts

I got a shock tower to replace the shock tower that had been cut, but when I got it the A-arm bracket was rusted out and unusable. So I tracked down an A-arm bracket and got it back together.

Projekts

I had to cut out the lower rocker corner where the water runs out of the cowl. It's rusted out on both sides but only a few inches so I was able to form some sheet stock for the repair. I still have to do the driver's side but it wasn't nearly as bad as the passenger's side.

BBKNARF

You have a lot of work ahead of you, don't quit, at times it will be frustrating, but at the end you will appreciated, good luck and keep us posted.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Projekts

After all of that I figured it was time to get it in some primer and test fit the panels.

I rebuilt the door hinges and added bushings to lower hinges, they open and close like butter.

Projekts

More.

Projekts

I had to track down some new/old hood hinges. When I got the springs off I realized that they were really locked up. After a few hours and a can of oil, I got them working pretty well.

Projekts

My gaps are looking pretty good on the passenger side, they are a little close but not too bad. The driver's side is the complete opposite, the gaps are too big. I didn't expect it to magically fit together at first, but one can always hope to get that lucky.

1969chargerrtse

Fantastic work.  Every time I see threads like this it makes me thrilled to know another beautiful 2nd gen Charger is saved.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.