News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gear Box Removal Problem

Started by deputycrawford, July 16, 2009, 01:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deputycrawford

Hello all. I am removing my gear box while waiting for the firm Feel stage 2, large sector shaft, box to arrive. I have rounded one of the bolts that mount it to the k-frame. I'll grind that off and start over with a new one. My question is, I don't know if I should have removed the roll pin on the shaft in preparation to slide the shaft off the box. I started searching the threads here and can't find instructions. It looks like the coupler is splined to the box and will have to somehow be pulled off. I can't for the life of me figure out what tool would be good to use. Should I replace the roll pin before moving the rest of the box? Do I have to loosen the column from the dash? Any pics would be great.

Jerry
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Knock the pin out using a round punch & pry off the coupler....before loosening the box mounting bolts :Twocents:

No loosening of the column from the dash should be necessary....there should be enough room in the coupler to pry it off the shaft
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

deputycrawford

Thank you for the reply. I searched several ways and never really saw a concrete answer. You know, I got this thing out of a 2 year storage to fix some problems. Three weeks later I have a new cam, rear main, all gaskets on engine, Firm Feel gear box and Scarebird brake kit en route. I also found the new style green bearings to fix the rear end vibration. I should have it on the road in a few weeks, if all goes well. All this because I attempted to sell it.  :lol:

I will keep everyone informed and take pics. I am learning how to attach pictures now.

Jerry
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.