News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body Shop Rant!

Started by aone415, July 13, 2009, 12:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

Ya know...that IS a logical explanation, but you would think a body shop would have the common sense and experience to know to block the fuel filler during wet sanding.  But...the engine???  I don't know how that would've gotten in there....that amount of water anyway.....looking forward to the pics!!!

chargergirl

When they started the car. Fuel pump went bad and pumped the water in the fuel into the engine. However I am assuming that you didn't get the engine bay painted either...or did they tell you they did that? Cause they can't paint the engine bay without taking the engine out...well not properly anyway. Usually a piece of plastic is placed over the filler area but it could also interfere with painting of the interior area of the filler, since you will never get it perfectly wrapped around the edge. Also most body men don't do engines it isn't a natural...there are a few but they are few and far between. We know one. The rest can be scary. I've seen the type of work our friend turns out and it's beautiful, done right, and no it aint cheap. But the engines aren't in the cars and neither are the gas tanks. You may be able to take it from there. If they were going to paint the entire car...what about that engine bay? They should have removed the entire engine to do so. Replaced the engine in a manner that would not injure the paint. Made it run if the shop is capable of doing so. Did they take all the panels off and paint them individually or just spray the car? What was supposed to happen? Ok I'm done with my rant...
Trust your Woobie!

TylerCharger69

Oh...okay.  So the fuel pump was leaking internally....gotcha....makes sense to me :yesnod:

hemi-hampton

Does a bad fuel pump pump anything anywhere :scratchchin: :shruggy:  LEON.

chargergirl

From what I understand it did a number on the carb, and all things fuel related. The oil pan...well that was collateral damage. I'm sure the big dogs on this site could tell you why that happened. Personally I feel bad about this whole ordeal. I would never think that getting my car painted could mess up my engine. So now we know, make sure you drain the tank prior to starting if only getting the outside painted.
Trust your Woobie!

Neal_J

Gee, its too bad they weren't aware of this great new invention to prevent water from going in the filler neck - yea, it's called a shop rag...

c00nhunterjoe

a peice of duct tape works wonders too

b5blue

The point is moot. The body shop failed to protect the Charger with reasonable prudence, if the pump failed there would be gas not water in the crank case, insomuch as 3 gal. of water was found, it is gross negligence having not notified the owner immediately that it failed to start regardless of why. They were deliberate in trying to pass off the problem AFTER accepting full payment. He's got a lawsuit he can execute. Unless the guy is a total moron he will just pay the repair bill on the car. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!  :2thumbs:     

aone415

Hey guys I've been reading thru the posts and here's the update...

Our mechanic told me that basically what happened was that water got into the fuel system via the filler neck.  The evidence was that the filler neck had a good deal of surface rust thru the tube.  It was brand new!  Now from what I've seen many times at the shop was the car sitting around with the filler cap wide open (before, during and after paint) and our and other cars being washed.  Every time I was there I had to cover the cap opening with rags, plastic and/or tape to prevent any damage... the same went for the carb.  Our car was wet sanded on 2 occasions (that I know of) and washed many times afterward.  So I do not believe the water in the tank was malicious.  I do believe it was negligence.  I spoke to the body shop owner about this and he reluctantly agreed that the car was running when it was brought to him and that it wasn't running when we took it home.  So he agreed to look at the mechanics bill and go from there... I'll keep you posted

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

b5blue

PocketThunder

Yes, good news!   :2thumbs:

But how can any body man wash a car and obviously see the gas filler neck wide open and hose water right over it?..?   :slap:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

dstryr

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 15, 2009, 10:40:53 AM

But how can any body man wash a car and obviously see the gas filler neck wide open and hose water right over it?..?   :slap:

Have you read this thread yet? :nana:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,50620.0.html

j/k.  Hard to believe.
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

roger440

I seem to remember there were pictures posted on here of someone pressure washing inside the trunk of this car in the bodyshop!!!
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

chargergirl

Because sadly enough most body guys are purely body guys...they take their own vehicles to mechanics to be repaired and don't think about the engine when working on the body. Like we have all agreed there are a precious few that do or are conscience of both. Good to know that this body shop owner is willing to admit that the car was running when it got there...good for you! Good Luck! BTW Duct tape...why didn't I think of duct tape...if it don't work duct it!
Trust your Woobie!

hemi-hampton

Looks like at one time the gas tank was totally removed to install a new trunk floor. Why didn't they just put the gas tank in last after painting & wet sanding? LEON.