News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Initial Timing

Started by Purple440, July 06, 2009, 07:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple440

I'm messing with the timing again...was running 22 initial and it's been great, but too much.  Backed it down to 17 today and no noticeable performance loss.  We tested the max initial today and it went up to 33* and was still picking up RPM at idle.  My question is why am I still picking up RPM at such a ridiculous initial timing?  Is that normal? 

- Doug

Chryco Psycho

sounds normal to me , they will take a lot of initial timing , you just have to shorten the curve so you ar not at 50* above 3000 rpm

aifilaw

Do you have a load on the motor, or are you tuning your initial off of an idle?
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Purple440

Just off idle.  Around 900 RPM.

Neil I thought I remembered you saying you set the timing by advancing till it stops picking up RPM then backing off a bit....read that a few years ago.

badass

anybody else have any tips on initial timing ?
mopars best **** the rest

c00nhunterjoe

it vaires from car to car based on your area (air density and elevation, humidity). also depends on the actual parts in your engine. every engine lieks it different. while my car may like 10 degrees initial and 35 degrees total, your car may hate it and prefer 15 degrees initial and 37 degrees total. its all about tuning and testing

MSRacing89

Quote from: Purple440 on July 16, 2009, 09:04:52 PM
Just off idle.  Around 900 RPM.

Neil I thought I remembered you saying you set the timing by advancing till it stops picking up RPM then backing off a bit....read that a few years ago.

The method you are referring to is using a vacuum gauge, getting your highest reading and then backing it off 1"hg.  Now I am not saying this will help your situation but technically speaking that is correct way to do it without a timing light.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

Purple440

Ah ok that makes sense.  Thanks!