News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

YOM (Year of Manufacture) Plates

Started by ChgrSteve67, July 03, 2009, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

That's too bad. This thread and a couple other license plate threads here prompted me to get mine dealt with last July and in August they finally mailed me a special interest sticker for my YOM plates so now I'm good to go... if it ever runs again.

ChgrSteve67

So the latest update.

I used multiple phones this moring and starting war dialing the number the gave me.
The first phone that didn't get the "Business hours are from..." rang about 20 times and just disconnected.
The other phones got a message that I will get to talk to a person when one is available.
Within about 5 minutes I got a real person on one of the phones so I hung the other up.

After she did some research she said the department that processes these applications have started working on the apps that were submitted on July 1st.
Mine was submitted on July 3rd so my app is close. She also told me that usually these types of application take 3 to 4 weeks to process but because of the budget cuts it has trippled the time it normally takes them.

Nothing else to do but wait.

Neal_J

Steve:

Thanks for the update.  Your info is very helpful.

So what was the process @ DMV.  Did you bring the plates & the form?  Do they collect the plates from you?  And what was the cost?

Thanks again!~

ChgrSteve67

I printed the form off the Internet and filled it out a head of time.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.htm

Took in the Black and Yellow plates along with the current plates on the car and the current registration.

The application fee is $45 dollars but the guy told me $15. I asked him three times if that was right and he said yes.
I think when they get around to processing the app they are going to ask for more money.

They photo copied everything including the B&Y plates and wrote down the dementions of them.
They gave me back copied of everything and the actual plates.

No one at DMV had done this before so it was a bit of a circus.

68X426

It sure is good that you have the plates in your hands. What with the DMV's insane methods, this is one time that possession really is 9/10ths of the law.

If they grab them, you could just disappear into the black (plate) hole that is our government. (Apologies to all the DMV worker bees on the forum).

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ChgrSteve67

After three months I got my paperwork back from DMV.

Your going to love this.

The DMV denied my application for the following reason...
1963 PLATES CANNOT BE ASSIGNED TO A 1967 VEHICLE

Here is a web site that lists the various model years and the appropriate base plate for each year.
http://www.oldpl8s.com/faqs.htm
It's about half way down the page under. "License plates used for more than 1 year 1945 – 1969"
1967 California License Plates used 1963 base plates with 1967 sticker

What a bunch of idiots.

Dans 68

You sound surprised? I'm not. Those idiots need more than a dozen run throughs to get anything right. Let us know how it all ends up. I'm waiting until I hear from you.... :popcrn:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Neal_J

Bummer.   Hardly unexpected from our fine DMV, but bummer still. 
So, what's you next move, Steve?.

bull

Well, at least you now have the address where this denial came from, right? If so I would copy/print out all of the information they need to make the correct decision and send it right back. The website you linked above instructs applicants to do that and if you don't feel you have enough information I would email the guy at oldpl8s.com and ask him for links to the proper documentation you need to support your case.

ChgrSteve67

The DMV envelope does not have the address of the department that mailed it.

I have found a couple of addresses online but they are probably black holes.

Next move is I have sent a email with documentation to the local news media I have dealt with in the past to deal with DMV issues.

I will also send off the same documentation to the two black hole address and see what happens.

I got nothing but time and postage stamps.

375instroke

Jackasses.  In Washington, the DMV is privately run, so the lines are never more than 4 people long, they are friendly, and they know what they are doing.  I handed them a plate my neighbor had hanging on his wall for my '69, and after a few moments, I had the plate assigned to my car for $35.  You only need a rear plate, no sticker, and no more yearly registration fees.  A plate originally issued in '69 looks the same from '68 to '86, and they don't check the number to see when the plate was made, if that is even possible.  I still have the black CA plates off my '68 R/T that the DMV wouldn't let me keep registered for it since it fell off their books.  I guess the owner of that car now would like them.

ChgrSteve67

I got a call from the news station today and then about 10 minutes later a call from the DMV.

Here is the Deal....
now keep in mind I did nto create these rules.

You must have a Year Sticker that matches they year your car was made and attach it to one of the plates when DMV inspects it.  The lady at DMV told me that most people buy them off ebay.

DMV will then send me year and month stickers and tabs for the plates.
The tabs are for the new year stickers so the model year sticker does not get covered.

I asked them if they wanted proof I got a sticker and she said no she would take my word for it.
So if I send her my paper work back she will process it and send me my stickers and documents.

I will do that tonight and we will see how long it takes.

Steve

Dans 68

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on October 01, 2009, 05:14:38 PM
I got a call from the news station today and then about 10 minutes later a call from the DMV.

Had to get a 3rd party involved...wow...but good result! What will the "tab" look like so that the year sticker will not get covered? It doesn't sound too clean:scratchchin:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Neal_J

Not to be thick, but what's a year sticker and where does it go?

In other words, the left tab is for the month and the right tab is for the current year registration sticker.  Where does this third sticker go?     Front Plate?  Windshield?  Forehead?

ChgrSteve67

Month goes in Month area, Model year sticker goes in current year area and DMV will give me a metal tab for the current year sticker.

I'm not sure how that is going to look

Dans 68

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on October 01, 2009, 05:59:32 PM
Month goes in Month area, Model year sticker goes in current year area and DMV will give me a metal tab for the current year sticker.

I'm not sure how that is going to look

Lovely, just lovely.  :eek2:

Dan

Neal_J

Wow, that's interesting.  Only my show plate, I have the old-style month SEPT tab (in red, the new ones that DMV gives out now are blue) and a repop gold 1969 registration sticker (got it from the Ohlone show a few years back).  In fact, I've ran this plate combo around town and the bored Alameda cops don't seem to care. 

Man, I'd just chuck that metal tab in the glove compartment.   But what a Mickey Mouse DMV solution.

ChgrSteve67

They could make a overlay to cover the origional stickers if you didn't want to put the new stickers on the plates or let you put the new stickers on the plates.

Or just make the old plates and charge you a arm and leg for them.

ChgrSteve67

Got my YOM reproduction stickers for the plates today so now I'm just waiting on DMV to re-process my paperwork and give me the real deal.

Dans 68

Steve,

So, according to the rules one needs an original "year" sticker for the plate (is this a special sticker or can a year sticker be made?), and then you also need to show the standard month and registration year stickers that all cars now have. Can the year sticker be mounted on the front plate, and the month and registration year stickers on the back plate? As I recollect in yesteryear the plates had the month sticker and then yearly "year" stickers. SNAFU seems to be the name of the game.  ::)

Dan

ChgrSteve67

I have not seen "The Rules" and can't seem to find any when it comes to the YOM tags.
I can not find definitive instructions on displaying the tags either.

So hear is my logic in all of this.

There is a place on the application where you specify the color and year of the YOM tag.

Since
Having a year tag that was not assigned to your car is against the law.
Having a year tag that was assigned to another car displayed on your car is against the law. (Note: No where on the application is there a place to write down the tags registration number)
Possesing a Year tag that has not been assigned to a car is against the law.
And making tags are against the law.
Whats the difference what I display as long as my actual renewal tag is real and assigned to my car?

I have seen no where that states the sticker has to be a real sticker issued by the DMV.

My understanding of all of this is you are suppose to display a year sticker (real or not) that coresponds to you model year in the upper right box and the month sticker in the upper left box. You do not need to display the correct color YOM Month sticker so you can put your new Blue month sticker in the upper left box. (Month tag info was told to me by the person at DMV)

The new registration year sticker is suppose to be attached to one of the metal tags they give you and attach it to the top or bottom of the plate on the right side.

As for the Month sticker I don't believe CA started issuing them until the mid 70s which is why you see so many plates with the year stickers alternating between the two sides.  The first ones issued were red and the current ones today are blue.

I am still waiting for my final paperwork to see what additional information the DMV provides if any.

Steve

blue69

I think there is more to a 1967 plate than having a base 1963 plate with a 1967 sticker. I think the numbers went sequentially and they can tell by the first three digits which time period the plates where issued.

ChgrSteve67

True
but the CA DMV does not care about that, any 1963 base plate will do.

I think there is a plate seller on ebag that lists the years and the starting letters that corespond to the correct years.

I would love to find a set that starts with WTF, LOL or BRB and the number 383

ChgrSteve67

I found this on the DMV Site
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/newsrel09/2009-30.htm

To qualify for use, plate configuration cannot have a current record on DMV files.  The year sticker displayed on the plates must coincide with the year model of the vehicle being registered with the exception of 1963 year model vehicles.

Black and gold plates without a year sticker can be used for 1963 vehicles as no validating year stickers were issued in 1963.  Plates for 1964 through 1972 must be presented with a sticker that matches the year model of the vehicle the plates will be used on.  For example, a 1966 Chevy Nomad Wagon will require that a set of black and yellow plates with a 1966 sticker issued by DMV in that year be presented for use.  

So this would mean to me that a DMV issued sticker is required and reproduction stickers and stickers that were never issued cannot be used.

bull

The news station? What's that all about?