News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 eng from a 32ft RV???

Started by my1st68charger, June 28, 2009, 08:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

my1st68charger

Hey guys ,i was offered a 440eng from a big RV motor home.It does not even have 100000miles on it .What i want to know if there is anything i should know about them before i start to take it out.Motor and trans.Thanks guys you all are very helpfull in this site.

rav440

is it free ? if so no need to ask just get it . the block itself is worth getting , i think the heads , intake and exhaust manifolds are just good for holding down winter covers on inground swimming pools .  :shruggy:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

my1st68charger

no it not free its 500$ and i have to take it out, I know its a 4 barrel on it and it ran good when i heard it but looks like one hell of a job to take it out.

my1st68charger

What about the transmission will it be any good for a charger.Here's another question will a transmission from a 68 newport 383 work in a charger68  383 .I was told there was a differance in tail shafts and i was told not???

TylerCharger69

IMO...500 bucks is kinda high for an RV 440 since it is not an HP block.  Example....I just scored a 440 HP2 police interceptor transmission and engine for 200 bucks.  As far as the tranny not fitting....I'm not too sure, assuming it's a 727 TF, maybe someone will chime in on that one.  I don't see why it wouldn't bolt in though, but I'm not too sure leaving a "C" body to go to a "B" body

Tilar

$500 for 100000 mile 440 is a bit steep IMO. I bought a 19,000 mile complete engine and tranny out of a motor home for $300. The motor home had set under a tree and the back end rotted out. I think it's a 1978. I havent heard it run but it's coming apart for different heads and a rebuild anyway.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

John_Kunkel

Motorhome 440's have iffy heads, the trans won't fit in a passenger car without a tailshaft/tailhousing change.

I wouldn't pay $500 but many have.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

skip68

:rotz:   NO, NO,  NO!   $500 is toooo much for a 100k mile motor home engine.  I see them all the time in the $300 range to $400 that have WAY less miles and run good.   :yesnod:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

68chargerboy

yes the 68 c-body trans will bolt right into the 68 b-bodys

Rayzor

I would not pay that much for a RV motor. You can count on changing things from the oil pan and exhaust as well. Some of them RV motors had odd ball cooling ports on the heads that will cause problems, but alot of the later motors had the 452 castings. Most large RV came with a E brake on the trans and a short shaft. I say pass or knock a couple hundred off. Deals like that are all over here in Oregon for 100.00$ or so. Last but not, check the compression first before pulling.

mopar0166

Hate to bring up old topics but im considering replacing my 318 with a 1978 RV 440 engine and wanted to know what issued might be assoicated with doing so?  The owner already said he has a 727 passenger trans and the RV HD trans will be incided for 420.   Any advice would be awesome?/?       :shruggy:

carolina charger

Theres quite a few post about replacing a small block with a big block. You can do a search and read for hours.  I just replaced my 318 with a 440. You'll need new motor mounts and brackets- different oil pan- a larger radiator-larger fuel sending unit- larger fuel line from sending unit to pump- shorter driveshaft- and many other minor modifications. All in all it wasn't too big a deal to do the swap.

FLG

What kind of car? 3rd Gen chargers for example need the k-frame changed or different mounts to make up for it.

Also as for the 500$ engine. I picked up 2 440's and a bunch of parts for 500$  :2thumbs:

Seems a bit steep.

ACUDANUT

YOU will need: different motor mounts, exhaust, intake, oil pan and pick-up tube, a different trans and don't forget the motorhomes were meant for torque, not speed.  I would use different heads and cam also. 500 bucks, I would pass.

Purple440

Don't even think about rebuilding it with higher compression without replacing the heads (452's?) or you'll detonate hard.  Add a few thousand to that price to get it running OK in your muscle car.  It's probably a low compression (8:1)ish motor.

g/l  :2thumbs: