News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Father/son 1972 charger restoration project

Started by oldrock, June 26, 2009, 11:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldrock

we are using the primer. paint and clearcoat from Pep Boys. I am fine with the paint and the clearcoat but not crazy about the primer. It doesn't spray nearly as smooth in my 2 air sprayers as other primers I've used. Paint and clearcoat on the other hand seem fine.

As for the rear, the pics you are seeing were before we realized the car had airshocks on it. With proper pressure in the rear, it actually angles up slightly which we like. Not jacked way up, just a slight angle but gives it plenty of clearance for the 255/60/15s. I'll snap a shot from the side so everyone can see the profile with the air shocks properly inflated.

Clearcoated a couple coats on the hood last night. Going to shoot a couple more today and then buff/polish that up. I also mig welded the drivers side front roof support where the vinyl roof attached. It had rusted pretty bad so I just built up some metal there and then ground it level to help reinforce that area. Might not have been needed but thought I should go ahead to do it before we paint just in case to make sure that area is sturdy. The passenger side wasn't rusted as bad so probably ok although I might weld up a couple beads on it too just to be safe. 

We still need to fill a few pinholes on the back lid of the trunk where it had rusted thru and maybe a little bondo to smooth out the front right fender where the previous owner roughed out a fender bender. Then paint the rest of the car so we can then concentrate on the engine and interior.

ACUDANUT

Tell me those are not hub caps on your Charger.  :brickwall:

oldrock

haha! yes, it had spoke hubcaps on it when we bought it... course those are sitting in the trunk now. We have a couple of the original wheels painted black on the front and a pair of new 15x8" wheels on the back. Will be getting new wheels for the front as soon as Josh saves up some money. Right now, we are just trying to get the car ready for daily driving by fall so this restoration is definately on a tight budget.

Bob

This is an awesome thread oldrock. I could not get my son interested. Cherish this time with your son and put that scrap book together.
Both of you deserve and applause.
Great job.

Bob

ACUDANUT

oldrock

cudanut, Josh is 15 and although I helped him buy the car, he is paying for alot of the fixup stuff himself. We got the new 15x8" black wheels from discount tire for fifty bucks each so it was the only wheel in the size he wanted that he could afford right now. This would be built differently if it was just me but I am wanting Josh to learn about cars but also learn about money choices too. THe cool wheels are about $150 each so he chose to go with a cheaper wheel. He also got a pair of used BFG 255 tires for a whopping $10 each mounted on his wheels! The guy at the used tire and wheel store cut him a break on the price because he was impressed a 15 year old kid was willing to fix up an old car these days.

Besides, I think the old school black wheels look pretty cool

ACUDANUT

Foreman72

Quote from: oldrock on July 02, 2009, 09:43:42 PM
The guy at the used tire and wheel store cut him a break on the price because he was impressed a 15 year old kid was willing to fix up an old car these days.

man...no one cuts me a break... :rotz:

:lol: :lol:

no good for him though...hey oldrock, you should get him on here, this way he can meet some people and get some more first hand knowledge you know...just a thought...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Foreman72

o and the R/T stripe is the one on my charger in my sig pic...well, thats a photoshoped pic...thats what it will look like...so that a 71 R/T stripe... :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

oldrock

foreman, Josh reads this thread all the time, he just hasn't been writing messages but we have spent literally hours reading over the posts and especially looking at everyone's chargers for ideas. He has tons of plans for the car and things he wants to do. He is just low on cashflow since he is 15 and his only source of money is what he makes mowing yards and teaching kids guitar lessons. Hard to fund alot of upgrades on about $100/week  ;D

BROCK

Here's to young enterprisers :cheers:

I got my 72 with the hopes that my son & then my daughter would get interested :brickwall:

Guess I'll just do it my way now :nana:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Foreman72

Quote from: oldrock on July 03, 2009, 10:11:56 AM
foreman, Josh reads this thread all the time, he just hasn't been writing messages but we have spent literally hours reading over the posts and especially looking at everyone's chargers for ideas. He has tons of plans for the car and things he wants to do. He is just low on cashflow since he is 15 and his only source of money is what he makes mowing yards and teaching kids guitar lessons. Hard to fund alot of upgrades on about $100/week  ;D
understood my good man...and  :cheers: to you josh for being willing to dish your cash for your ride...i know quite a few kids who have their parents pay for everything so good for you...its gonna look awesome dude...just drive it smart.... :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

oldrock

the car is coming along nicely. Got the hood clearcoated and did some bondo work on pinholes on the back of the trunk lid yesterday. This weekend, we hope to get alot more painting done and maybe change out the spark plug wires.

Brock, really nice looking charger!

Silver R/T

Painting it different color is good idea. No offense but it's ugly color and it probably would be first thing I would've changed on it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BROCK

I can still relate to being on a tight budget.  I'm a grandpa & doing OK - but I do
remember counting pennies, saving up & hustling for more work/hours.  Having
the perfect wheels, color/paint job & interior actually detract & derail this project
from getting on the road.  At a $100 a week:  I'm gonna focus on brakes, cooling
system & engine maintenence parts.  Now, once I get it on the road:  It's time for
a better job.  Suddenly, it is easier to afford those wheels etc!  Don't forget shocks
& suspension items as needed.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

jaak

Quote from: oldrock on July 02, 2009, 09:43:42 PM
cudanut, Josh is 15 and although I helped him buy the car, he is paying for alot of the fixup stuff himself. We got the new 15x8" black wheels from discount tire for fifty bucks each so it was the only wheel in the size he wanted that he could afford right now. This would be built differently if it was just me but I am wanting Josh to learn about cars but also learn about money choices too. THe cool wheels are about $150 each so he chose to go with a cheaper wheel. He also got a pair of used BFG 255 tires for a whopping $10 each mounted on his wheels! The guy at the used tire and wheel store cut him a break on the price because he was impressed a 15 year old kid was willing to fix up an old car these days.

I dig the black wheels  :2thumbs:

Jason

oldrock

we made more progress today. Here is a shot of the hood with 2 coats of clear overcoat. We haven't decided if we want to do a third coat or not so left the paper on.

And we got some good work done around back too. We did some bondo on the rustthru areas on the back of the trunk lid and got it primed. Also patched up the old hole for a power antena on the left rear quarter along with a couple other pinholes in the area. Got it all taped up to prime the trunk but Josh decided he wanted to sand it a bit smoother first so that will wait till tomorrow. This shot doesn't show it but you can see traces of the bondo on the back trunk lid. So Josh learned a valuable lesson today, if you can feel it, you will also see it when you paint  :yesnod:  Now he takes the sanding more serious.

ACUDANUT

Your rear quarters look solid. Better than mine.  I am still waiting on Goodmark or AMD to start making 71-72 rear quarters. Then I will very happy. :icon_smile_big:  The rest of us need to start bugging them to get these made. :Twocents:

oldrock

just some progess pics of Josh charger. It is all primed and all but one side painted now. Getting closer to wrapping up the paint. We still are debating what to do about a stripe. Some people are suggesting one horizontal down the side of the car that wraps half way round the hood. Others say go for the the band around the trunk. It is totally up to Josh and he is still undecided so will have to wait and see what he decides to do on that one. He was even talking about a hood scoop although funds are very tight for him right now so doubt that one will happen any time soon.

primer going on

and now one side all painted but not clearcoated yet. One side to go and paint is done!

decided to go with black under the hood, thought it went well with black grill look

jaak

looks good.  :2thumbs: What kind of paint are you using?

Jason

oldrock

we are using the stuff that comes from Pep Boys. Not the greatest by any means but it comes in quarts so we don't have to buy full gallons at a time (easier on my son's budget to buy a couple quarts at a time) and the paint goes on pretty well. I am not crazy about their primer though. Doesn't spray well and one of the quarts we got was bad so we had to take it back to trade it. Probably just old stock but still a pain.

chargergirl

Project looks great and looks like it will be ready to roll soon. There will always be something to do with the car. From fixing the daily driver to entering shows later on. My mechanic cut my boys a break when they brought stuff in, brakes etc. It's always good to see families doing things together.
Trust your Woobie!

oldrock

yep, getting alot closer to being a driver. We got the stripe on the tail and finished up the clearcoat today. Didn't think to get a pic but will try to snap one and post it up. Certainly didn't turn out perfect but not bad and Josh is getting really pumped up about driving it to school. He has several buddies with hotrods from the late 60's early 70's. It has been a very fun project so far.

oldrock

I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of the paint job before it got dark but will post it up tomorrow. We have been doing alot of wet sanding and polishing tonight  :eek2: Not exactly fun work but necessary. Josh is still out working on it as we speak.