News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Father/son 1972 charger restoration project

Started by oldrock, June 26, 2009, 11:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldrock

$131 doesn't sound too bad, if the freebie doesn't work out, we might just have to go that route. I know Josh is pinching pennys because he really wants to get one of those dash caps for his car before school starts and they cost around $100.

Even though it is tempting for me to just get the stuff for him to help him out, I am fighting off the urge. I want this experience to teach him about money and help him learn to make smart money choices, etc. I know my Dad made me pay for alot of the stuff for my 69 mustang back when I was in school and I complained alot about it at the time. THought my old man was just a cheapskate, etc. but now I know he did it to help teach me to manage money better. Got to keep that tradition going to the next generation. Lord knows we have plenty of self absorbed and spoiled kids in our society these days. Trying my best to avoid that happening with my kids.

Foreman72

i think thats an awesome thing to be doing..good for you oldrock... :2thumbs: much respect for you sir

course, you could do a since-you've-worked-so-hard-and-learned-so-much present :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

alcusswhen

Quote from: oldrock on August 20, 2009, 01:30:16 PM
$131 doesn't sound too bad, if the freebie doesn't work out, we might just have to go that route. I know Josh is pinching pennys because he really wants to get one of those dash caps for his car before school starts and they cost around $100.

Even though it is tempting for me to just get the stuff for him to help him out, I am fighting off the urge. I want this experience to teach him about money and help him learn to make smart money choices, etc. I know my Dad made me pay for alot of the stuff for my 69 mustang back when I was in school and I complained alot about it at the time. THought my old man was just a cheapskate, etc. but now I know he did it to help teach me to manage money better. Got to keep that tradition going to the next generation. Lord knows we have plenty of self absorbed and spoiled kids in our society these days. Trying my best to avoid that happening with my kids.

You can get caps opn ebay for 65$
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

oldrock

a dash cap for $65 would be great and save Josh some money to use for other things. Got a link to that seller?

mopar_nut_440_6

Well good news and bad news. Good news I found the carb, bad news it is just a one bbl. Sorry guys I tried.  :shruggy:
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

draftingmonkey

If you can find a junkyard (or at a swap meet) 4BBL intake & manifold off of a 360 that would work.  Did that many years ago to my 318 Charger. Ran great and an easy swap. Just another idea.

Bill Howell

what is your location oldrock?

I have tons of 72 charger parts off of the car I am protouring, all original and most rebuilt. I think my carb was a 2barrel, it is a 400ci motor though.

If you are near Pigeon Forge, Tn, I can hook you up.
Bill Howell

chargergirl

Car looks great! This is a highlight for me every time I read it. Letting the kid build with his own money makes it truly his.
Trust your Woobie!

oldrock

hey thanks for checkin moparnut! Was a very nice offer. Bill, I am in the Dallas area so not local to you but thanks for the offer. I want to make sure everyone understands I am not trying to drum up free stuff for Josh so hope this thread isn't coming across that way. I just wanted to document the full restoration process for Josh with alot of pics and describe how it has progressed. That rebuilt carb for $131 sounds like a very good deal so we will probably go that route.

Josh doesn't mind some hard work to get his car fixed up. In fact, he bought 1 more quart of clearcoat yesterday so last night I shot it on the sides of his car which still looked a bit dull. He is out there polishing it up as we speak. I will post up a couple more pics of it tonight or tomorrow after he gets it all polished so folks can see how it is looking. We still need to go get the inspection and basically ready for it except I leaned the front running lights aren't coming on for some reason. Haven't tracked it down yet adn wondering if maybe we can get the inspection without them since I think all that is required is reflectors which are there. The back ones work fine and all blinkers, headlights are working properly.

lisiecki1

if by running lights you mean the side marker lights then yes you should be able to get it legal....if you mean the lights on the front of the car at the bottom, then no, because they double as your turn signals.....but I think you already know that  :2thumbs:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

jaak

Quote from: alcusswhen on August 20, 2009, 05:57:10 PM
Quote from: oldrock on August 20, 2009, 01:30:16 PM

You can get caps opn ebay for 65$

The only ones I ever see in that price range is for a 2nd gen.... the cheepest 3rd gen cap I saw on eBay was 112 w/shipping when I bought mine.... be careful I did see some cheeper, like 70-80 bucks, but they charged 40 to ship. Mine was 112 with shipping from A1 Auto.

Jason

Jason

ACUDANUT

NHCharger

I have a 72 parts Charger with a 318. Original motor with 78k miles. Motor hasn't run for 20 years. Has a 2bbl. Carter # 2681. Would definitely need a cleaning. If your other options don't work out you can have it if it will work on your car.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

oldrock

Re the marker lights I was talking about are the ones on the sides. The lower ones on the front are working properly. That was the ones that almost made me pull my hair out tracking down the problem last week  :lol:

Re I haven't got new pics of the charger but will take some today or tomorrow and post em up. It is looking pretty sharp with the extra clearcoat on the sides and the polish on it.

Re that carb, thanks for the offer and might take you up on that although someone told us about a holley 2 barrel with warranty for $120 so going to check that out this weekend and see if it fits.

re dash cap, best price we found was $97 with free shipping so looks like that is about the best price right now.

oldrock

OK, tried to snap a few pics today to show the car after polishing but with the shadows, they didn't turn out very good. This one was pretty decent but the angle doesn't show the stripe. The other pic shows the stripe but the low light made it pretty grainy.

Oh we did another drive with the charger today. Worked really well and I let Josh do his first ever little burnout. Before I get flamed... it was in a gravel parking lot for a school baseball field so zero cars around. He only did half throttle and it was only about a 3 second burnout but I at least wanted him to get some experience with that sort of thing in a safe and controlled environment so if it happens on a wet road, he won't get too nervous about it.

Oh and I have to say he was grinning after he did that  :icon_smile_big:

ACUDANUT

looks great. I didn't know you were going White. :2thumbs: Now get that front end lowered.
:yesnod:

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

charger_cody

Just to let you know your doing a great job being a "good"' father to your son. I wish my dad would treat me like you treat yours.  :cheers:

Nice car

Cody

terrible one

Transformed already! The car looks real good! It's got the street brawler thing going.  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

alcusswhen

For a carb your better off getting it at a locale zone or advance. These little mopar carters and the holly's are funky as hell. So if you have trouble you want to be able to take it back and get another one. Myself I like a edlebrock performer intake and edlebrock 650 carb on a 318. I ran that on mine for 20 yrs before I went stroker and never had to touch it after the first adjustments. Yes I mean one carb for 20 years. I used a edlebrock air gap intake and edlebrock 750 for my 318/391 stroker and love that set up too.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

oldrock

Didn't get to work much on the charger today but did get to drive it around some. I had some buddies of mine come over and of course they all had to check out Josh's charger. It was interesting, my project in the garage cranks out about 400hp and yet the guys were drawn to Josh's charger  ::) Josh of course thought that was awesome and was very proud to show them his car. He is really getting more familar with muscle cars now and can talk car stuff just like one of the guys.

My buddies all wanted to get a ride in Josh's charger so we loaded em up and drove it around the neighborhood. Lets just say with 4 big guys in the car, the rear end was sagging a bit. Had to bump up the air shocks to keep it from rubbing. Josh has now decided he needs taller rear suspension to get the rear end raised up a bit and to help reduce the rubbing risk. Just one more thing to add to his wish list. :icon_smile_tongue:

Foreman72

well...it shouldn't be too bad...he can get spacer blocks to put under the spring mounting points...
Eric "Foreman"

terrible one

I'm pretty sure that putting blocks between the springs and the housing will actually LOWER the car since the rear end sits on top of the springs. Really the best way to raise the rear end probably would be to have the leafs re-arched and add in however much more height he wants. Aside from that, I would take dragging ass over air shocks any day!

Foreman72

Quote from: terrible one on August 23, 2009, 01:16:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that putting blocks between the springs and the housing will actually LOWER the car since the rear end sits on top of the springs. Really the best way to raise the rear end probably would be to have the leafs re-arched and add in however much more height he wants. Aside from that, I would take dragging ass over air shocks any day!

i was thinking about that too...
Eric "Foreman"

lisiecki1

Quote from: oldrock on August 22, 2009, 10:39:03 PM
Didn't get to work much on the charger today but did get to drive it around some. I had some buddies of mine come over and of course they all had to check out Josh's charger. It was interesting, my project in the garage cranks out about 400hp and yet the guys were drawn to Josh's charger  ::) Josh of course thought that was awesome and was very proud to show them his car. He is really getting more familar with muscle cars now and can talk car stuff just like one of the guys.

My buddies all wanted to get a ride in Josh's charger so we loaded em up and drove it around the neighborhood. Lets just say with 4 big guys in the car, the rear end was sagging a bit. Had to bump up the air shocks to keep it from rubbing. Josh has now decided he needs taller rear suspension to get the rear end raised up a bit and to help reduce the rubbing risk. Just one more thing to add to his wish list. :icon_smile_tongue:

adjustable shackles :D
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html