News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

losing steam

Started by wayfast1500, June 26, 2009, 03:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayfast1500

Ive been working on my 73 for a few months now.  Seems like everytime I go to do something something else is leaking, rusted out, broken ect.  Due to lack of money its starting to get overwhelming and I might just park it for now.  Anyone else going thru/went thru this?  This isnt the first car ive built but its starting to kick my ass.

gers1968rt

Yes, it can seem overwhelming at times. Just try to do something, even if it is very small,  every day or week and and that way you'll see progress.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

mopar_nut_440_6

I continually work on many projects at the same time so that when I get tired of working on one, I can go to another. For instance, I put about 300 hours into my Charger from Feb - May of this year. I was tired of working on it so I left it and renovated two bedrooms in my house and planted some new gardens. Now I am working on my detached garage. Once the garage is done I will move the Charger into it and get the paint on it and start picking at the reassembly while looking at replacing our laminate floors in the house with tile.

This may not work for you but I hate to sit around but need to jump project to project!

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

ChgrSteve67

I have owned my Charger for 24 years.
Spent 8 years working on it.
Down to the little things.

Just hang in there and work on it when you can.
Figure out what you need to do, price out the work, save for it, do it and start again.

Steve

Brock Samson

:RantExplode: that's the nature of the beasts...
and why I'm sooooooo glad mine has given me such good service for the past 10 years since i installed the 440 and related drivetrain bits,.. up to that point it was one freakin thing after another,.. now the other "classic" has been giving me headaches,.. i finally got it out on the road this week after six weeks of being laid up - what with one thing or another.. as per this thread.... the first distrib was wobbely and had to get another,.. then the Battery craped out...  :lol:
    http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,55985.0.html

wayfast1500

Usually when I get tired of something I sell/trade it for something else, and I'm trying to not let it get to that point.  I have jumped around a little, rebuilt my dirtbike, put a oil cooler in the Harley ect.  I cant sit around but when I work on a big project like this I get bored damn ADD.  I think its getting to the point where I need to seriously concider biting the bullet and stripping it down and building it up fresh, might be easier than trying to fix rust on the inner fenders with the engine still in it ect.  What do you guys think, the last car I built didnt need any body work, I just built the engine and put the drive train together.  Is it worth while to strip it to get it all, or just strip out the section I plan on working on?

ChgrSteve67

If you have the room to store it while you work on it then I would strip it.

wayfast1500

Yea I really don't have a garage, I've been working on it in my driveway.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: wayfast1500 on June 26, 2009, 09:16:12 PM
Usually when I get tired of something I sell/trade it for something else, and I'm trying to not let it get to that point.  I have jumped around a little, rebuilt my dirtbike, put a oil cooler in the Harley ect.  I cant sit around but when I work on a big project like this I get bored damn ADD.  I think its getting to the point where I need to seriously concider biting the bullet and stripping it down and building it up fresh, might be easier than trying to fix rust on the inner fenders with the engine still in it ect.  What do you guys think, the last car I built didnt need any body work, I just built the engine and put the drive train together.  Is it worth while to strip it to get it all, or just strip out the section I plan on working on?

If you are anything like me you will start to strip out one area to work and then take something else apart and the next thing you know it is all apart and you will be thinking why did I even start. The nice thing is once it is finished you will be extremely happy and will l have also completed 10 other projects in the mean time!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

wayfast1500

it's 2:30 am I been up thinking about it, I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and strip it down and do it right even tho it means I won't be driving it anymore this year.  I think it's a lot less headache than trying to polish a turd by doing little patches here and there and the whole thing looking like like it was half assed.

mopar_nut_440_6

Now you are talking brother! ADD is your friend!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Ghoste

It is overwhelming and it sucks to not be driving these cars (which is the whole point after all) but hang in there and before you know it will be done and it will be worth it and you will be happy you did it right.

Above all else, always remember we are your support group.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on June 27, 2009, 01:56:32 AM
It is overwhelming and it sucks to not be driving these cars (which is the whole point after all) but hang in there and before you know it will be done and it will be worth it and you will be happy you did it right.

Above all else, always remember we are your support group.
Yep, there was a time mine was down much more than up.  Now I walk out in the garage and it fires right up and drives like new.  It kicked my butt many times, things kept breaking, but I kept on it and now I'm reping the rewards, and all it took was lot's of money and stress.  :icon_smile_big:  Again this coming fall I'll pull the motor for some leaks and that kinda sucks, but when your driving around in it you know you have a real American classic like no other. When you're burnt out cover it up and let it sit for awhile and when you're looking for something to do uncover it and continue.  Hope it works out for you and as stated above we are here to help.  :coolgleamA:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Sublime/Sixpack

If working on your car seems a chore, that'll make it really tough for you. Hopefully you'll be able to turn your mindset around so you actually look forward to getting your hands on it and making some progress.  Good luck.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

62dodge

I have been working on my wife's charger for 22 years our last kid moved out 6 months ago now I can devote more time money and energy to this and my other projects 58 300, 62 300, 65 coronet, 67 formula S,. And yes some times I feel like selling them all. Thats when I lock the shop door and let them sit awhile, I do other things like paint the house etc. Then a friend calls for some help on one of their projects and then I catch the bug again and start to work on my rides.

jaak

Yeah I get that way too... I just walk away for a while, I haven't touched to 69 since probably around April sometime. I bought the 73 and been doing some work to it, but with the 69 when I get frustrated/burned out, I just walk away sometimes months at a time. I do have a garage so I just let it sit there, dont cost me nothing to let it sit. I know if I sold it I probably couldnt get another.

Jason

wayfast1500

I'm suppose to get a engine hoist tomorrow.  Time to get this going!