News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the best way to prime, putty & paint a car that is bare metal?

Started by sixpack_sid, June 23, 2009, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

What's the best way to prime, putty & paint a car that is down to bare metal? I am restoring a 68 charger and I have taken a few panels to the sandblaster guy.  The first time I got a couple panels back, there was still some rust on them and he told me to put rust convertor or Pour 15 on it. But I don't think you can put that on clean metal--only rust. When I got the fender back, there is still deep pitted rust in the fender. He told me to put epoxy primer on it. I have put self-etching primer on the roof which I sandblasted myself. I went to the paint supply store today and the guy there told me that I cannot putty over any primer-it has to be bare metal. Do I sand down the spots that need putty? What is the proper procedure?
I restored another charger before, but it wasn't as rusty as this one. It's been a long time since I've done it and I'm getting conflicting advice.
Any help would be appreciated! Also, the whole car is going to need a skim coat of putty, there are a lot of scratches and pitting and imperfections. What kind of putty do you use? What's the drying time? What is the proper procedure for that?
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Long Island RT

If your parts are coming back from the sandblaster with rust still on them, either they need more sandblasting, or you need new parts (or new metal for your old parts!) 
Por-15 - Rust Mort, and others work well when used right, but there is nothing better than removing the rust completely.

Self-Etching primer is real old school.  Epoxy Primer (although costly) is the best thing to apply directly to bare metal, especially sandblasted.

You can apply a 2K primer/filler right over the Epoxy without sanding, as long as you do it within a week.  It will fill in basic scratches, but not dents.

I'm not a big fan of "putty" but it too can be applied directly to bare metal, or on top of either the Epoxy or the 2K primer.  If applied over paint, I'd sand both with nothing finer than a 180 grit to help adhesion.

I had good results with evercoat products.  They also have spray on type putty's which I heard work very well, but I never tried them:
http://www.evercoat.com/

I am an amateur, so hopefully some of the pros will chime in

Good luck!
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

hemi-hampton

Dont understand why they would come back rusty if just sand blasted or media blasted. Is this rust in hard to reach areas the blaster could not get to? LEON.