News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

904 to 727

Started by Dodge69_440, November 17, 2005, 07:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge69_440

I am going to be rebuilding my mildly modified 1969 318 in my coronet soon do to a leak in the rear main seal.  A local tranny shop said it would cost around $750 to have my stock 904 rebuilt, so I am just going to buy a new TCI sizzler transmission.  My question is will the TCI 727 bolt up to the existing 904 mounts? I left a message for TCI, but never heard back.  Also I am going to get a TCI breakaway torque converter and don't know what flexplate to use.  Thanks for any help.

cudaken

Is the $750.00 for a stock 904? That sounds high to me. I would make a few more calls and see if that is the going rate, around here around $375-$500 for a 727.

Cannot really help with the swap, alll my Mopars have been 727 car's. I am 85% sure you will need a cross member and shorten the drive shaft and driffrent kick down. People that have done it will post sone.

On TCI, I use to trust there parts and have had good luck with them. Friend of mine that does tran's work was the one that turned me on to them. But, Rich no longers use's them. Started to have a lot of bad parts, called TCI and they told him they have a 10% failuer rate and they think that was OK. If you buy from them, find out about there warranty and if it covers labor as well.

Cuda Ken
I am back

deathcharger71

i went to a well known shop around here, said a rebuilt 727 with would be 425...around 600 with high performance mods and stuff. that price to rebuild a 904 sounds very high. i live in the south bay where everything is just a little more expensive....

41husk

as long as you specify small or large block the bell housings are different.  They also made a long shaft 727, if the saft is longer you will need to have your drive shaft shortened.  I just had this done for $30 but I called around and was quoted between $30 and $100.  Good luck.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

jogirob

Shoot, I just got quoted $1750 for a 904 rebuild with $500 of that being parts. I know the thread was from 2005 but dang. Inflation man  :shruggy:

Charger RT

made this swap years ago. everything bolts up shifter linkage cooler lines. 99% sure cross member is the same. drive shaft needs to be shortened and the latger 727 yoke used.
Tim