News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help. Disc brake conversion????????

Started by photon, June 18, 2009, 01:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photon

Long story short bought all my parts to rebuild my Drum brakes for my 69.  A buddy of mine talked me into going disc on the front.  Another thread mentioned that this kit was a good buy:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-Chrysler-B-E-Body-62-72_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33564QQihZ024QQitemZ370195138371.   I was wanting to know if my my new master cylinder/brake booster/ proportioning valvue for my drum brake set up will work on the disc brake set up in the kit listed above.?  Will the booster/cylinder work and I just need to get another prop. valv.  Thanks for any help in advance. 

b5blue

It will work but you need a adjustable valve installed for the rear to reduce pressure to the drums, do a search here there's lots of info.

bull

Not sure if I understand your question fully but I'll try to answer what I think you're asking. A drum brake master cylinder should not be used on a disc brake setup because drum brake master reservoirs are 50/50 and disc brake masters are 70/30, if you get my drift. Although a 50/50 master cyl might work on disc brakes it would not work correctly, ie., it would not send most of the braking power to the front calipers first, which is what you want. Drum brake master cyls. send equal power to the front and rear whereas disc brake master cyls. send more power (I should say they send the pressure sooner) to the front brakes first.

I believe, however, that a drum brake booster will work with a disc brake master. And if your proportioning valve is adjustable it can be used too.