News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jay Leno buys a Turbine car

Started by Magnumcharger, June 17, 2009, 10:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumcharger

Should fit right in with his electric, steam and other weird cars!
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2009/06/jay-leno-buys-chrysler-ghia-turbine/

I expect he'll be showing up at various events with it shortly.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Charger_Fan

That's cool. :icon_smile_cool: I'd love to see & hear one of those cars running, in the flesh.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

I wonder if now that he's retired he'll become even more active in the collector car hobby?

hemigeno

Quote from: Charger_Fan on June 17, 2009, 11:23:31 AM
That's cool. :icon_smile_cool: I'd love to see & hear one of those cars running, in the flesh.

It sounds (and I'm not kidding) about like a quiet household vacuum cleaner.  NO vibration whatsoever in that engine though. 

One of the former technicians who worked on the car used to show people how smoothly the engine ran by balancing a nickel on the top of the engine.  A guy who witnessed this swore that it was a trick nickel, and even when he provided one from his own pocket (it balanced just fine, BTW) he still swore it was rigged.

Very neat rides, for sure.  There's one at the St. Louis Museum of Automotive Transportation that still runs/drives on the road.  An acquaintance of mine is the caretaker, and stops by every Wednesday to fire it up.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: hemigeno on June 17, 2009, 01:21:14 PM
An acquaintance of mine is the caretaker, and stops by every Wednesday to fire it up.

Lucky bastard!  ;D

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 17, 2009, 02:06:21 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on June 17, 2009, 01:21:14 PM
An acquaintance of mine is the caretaker, and stops by every Wednesday to fire it up.

Lucky bastard!  ;D

That's for sure! :yesnod: Man, some guys get all the luck. ;)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Ghoste on June 17, 2009, 12:00:37 PM
I wonder if now that he's retired he'll become even more active in the collector car hobby?

His new show starts in September... I think he'll be busier than ever over the summer.

Ghoste

I didn't know he was getting a new show.   Is it a talk show or a car show?

Silver R/T

would be nice to see one in person
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69_500

Am I right in thinking that of the ones left around, there is only 2 maybe 3 that actually run? Or am I wrong Geno?

Ghoste

I think you're right Danny, there are something like 5 left and only 2 or 3 run.

c00nhunterjoe

neat, looks like a mini version of what i have at work, except mine make 1500 hp and 3500 ft lbs of torque

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Ghoste on June 17, 2009, 07:18:07 PM
I didn't know he was getting a new show.   Is it a talk show or a car show?

I assume a talk show, but ya know, I really don't know.

He's moving to 10 PM - Prime time... That's why Letterman makes all the jokes about having no show at 10 PM and why you see Leno doing commercials in a Cobra with the number 10 on it.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on June 17, 2009, 07:48:45 PM
Am I right in thinking that of the ones left around, there is only 2 maybe 3 that actually run? Or am I wrong Geno?

Quote from: Ghoste on June 17, 2009, 08:39:30 PM
I think you're right Danny, there are something like 5 left and only 2 or 3 run.

:iagree:   There are very few of them left and fewer still that run.

dodgecharger-fan

I have a brand new one, but it doesn't run.

:P

1969chargerrtse

I saw a show one time that had one all original kept in a warehouse.

I think his show is comedy related?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.