News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Block ignition timing

Started by Moparman01, June 15, 2009, 07:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparman01

Easy question, whats a good base timing for a stock 383 4bl engine, it's not an HP engine. After installing new points and condesor, i had the timing set at about 7* or 8* B.T.D., runs ok but not great. I read somewhere to start at 10* B.T.D., would that be good? Thanks

maxwellwedge

Try it - If it is pinging put it back. Depends on the fuel you are using as well.

r_biccum

I like to advance it 2 degrees at a time, drive it, and advance again unitll you get a ping, then go back to the last incriment for the most power without detonation
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 727 #'s matching with original 8 track
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

firefighter3931

There is usally lots of power to be found by simply dialing in the ignition curve. I'd say at least 12* and possibly more for base timing but you have to make sure the total timing does not exceed 38*

Sometimes this requires modifications to the advance plate to achieve the desired results.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs