News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need pics of how factory undercoating was applied?

Started by resq302, June 14, 2009, 10:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Can someone show me pics of how the factory undercoating was applied and where it was applied to?  I know the factory applied undercoating to all of the wheel wells and dealerships applied it to the entire underbody of the car if so desired.  The car in question is our 70 chally convert.  I would like to do the job right the first time.  Specifically what items were installed in the front wheel well area prior to the undercoating being done?  On e-bodys, there is a plastic splash shield in the rear of the front wheel wells that covers the door opening to the cowl area, was this piece on prior to or after the undercoating was applied?  Same question goes for the marker lights, bumper brackets, and parking lights.  How about the suspension parts?  Just trying to get this finished up for Carlisle in a couple weeks.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Shakey

maxwellwedge

The (standard) undercoat was put on when the car was completely together (except for the wheels). Factory cars coded on the build sheet for undercoating got nailed on the bottom as well. Is your car a factory (coded) undercoat car? All my survivor Challengers (non coded for undercoat) had the gas tanks nailed right across the bottom as well.

mopar_nut_440_6

Not a Challenger but a Hemi Charger which is being copied by the restorer. This is how he has done it to match the original look of the brackets, straps etc

A neat thing to notice is the one exhaust hanger is welded on for the single exhaust cars and painted with the body but the second one for the dual exhaust is bolted on and a naturak finish. I thought that was interesting. You can see how the undercoating was sprayed along the tank and on the underside. This is also based on what was on this car from factory and of course every car could be different.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude