News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Confused about the exhaust manifold sleeve nuts

Started by WH23G3G, June 13, 2009, 02:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Now I know I got the wrong manifold sleeve nuts from Year One since they have the end tapped out. I was told here that was for the air injection system which I do not have on my 400.  I've got the correct 73 HP manifolds. They use two sleeve nuts on the RH and one on the LH side. I'm confused how they go in. I assume you have to have the regular exhaust manifold stud in the head and the sleeve nut just screw on top of it. Is that right?

b5blue

Yes, the hole in the hex end was for the "heated intake air shroud" on some cars. Remember to put sealant on the exhaust  studs as they go through to the water jacket (he said having dealt with leaks in the past!)  :2thumbs:

WH23G3G

I did put sealant on the new stud I installed. How crazy do you have to go with the sealant? I just smeared it all over the threads and screwed them in. Just like I did the rear cam plugs, and fuel pump pushrod plug. My intake shroud when I ever find one bolts directly to the exhaust manifold.

b5blue

That's all you did it! Just make sure the studs are tighter than the torque needed for the nuts. Yeah that's what the threaded holes are for in the "mardison" (sp?) nuts....I have no idea what app. actually uses them! I put anti seize lube on my exhaust nuts hoping it will keep them from rusting to the studs as later if they stick when you remove them you get a coolant leak running all over. Good luck to you!   

WH23G3G

What's the best way to tighten in the new studs? I read somewhere about doubling up two nuts but can't remember what the instructions were. It said to tighten it like 20lbs-ft. I probably need to tighten them more than I put them in. I figured when I tightened the exhaust nuts they would tighten the studs further.

b5blue

Right, tighten 2 nuts together so they jam and run the stud in a little more lbs. torque then for exhaust nut spec.  :2thumbs: worked 4 me