News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gen 3 Recommended Suspension upgrades for mild track use?

Started by Beer, June 08, 2009, 08:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer

I learned real quick, a set of drag radials is a great first item for track use, cutting a 60' from 2.2 to 1.8 (this on my GM), but what can be done to a Gen 3, in addition to DR's for improvement in the time with the suspension?

Car is in the body shop and this would be a good time to put suspension stuff in with just the rolling chasis.

My engine and driveline is picked out: Small block stoker/Built 727/ 8 3/4" w 3.91 suregrip/have everything but the tranny/converter-be getting this from Cope Racing in OCT.

My Question are which components below should be changed out (and source for aquiring them) for a better ET?

New rear leaf's (or re-arching the old ones)?
Torsion bars for a smallblock (origional) or use the BB ones?
Shocks?
Traction bars?
Subframe connectors?

Hoping for a high 12 sec NA Gen 3 and 11's on spray (directport).

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

firefighter3931

Quote from: Beer on June 08, 2009, 08:44:20 AM
I learned real quick, a set of drag radials is a great first item for track use, cutting a 60' from 2.2 to 1.8 (this on my GM), but what can be done to a Gen 3, in addition to DR's for improvement in the time with the suspension?

Car is in the body shop and this would be a good time to put suspension stuff in with just the rolling chasis.

My engine and driveline is picked out: Small block stoker/Built 727/ 8 3/4" w 3.91 suregrip/have everything but the tranny/converter-be getting this from Cope Racing in OCT.

My Question are which components below should be changed out (and source for aquiring them) for a better ET?

New rear leaf's (or re-arching the old ones)?
Torsion bars for a smallblock (origional) or use the BB ones?
Shocks?
Traction bars?
Subframe connectors?

Hoping for a high 12 sec NA Gen 3 and 11's on spray (directport).

Jim, in order to launch the car effectively and 60ft you will need to do some upgrades, inmo.

(1) Drag radials for sure
(2) small block torsion bars....you want the front end rise to help with weight transfer.
(3) Frame connectors for sure. You don't want to waste energy twisting the chassis and ruining that new paint.
(4) Good 90/10 shocks up front and stiff shocks out back.
(5) Rear springs need an upgrade from stock stuff with the power you will be making. Caltracs work great when set up properly and will work with a stock or XHD style spring but not an SS spring. The other option is to go with just SS springs which work descent but ride a little on the rough side.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73 charger

suggest driveshaft safety loop.   may be required at your local track? 
1973 Dodge Charger, "Big Blue", Petty Blue (TB3), 408 Stroker, 460 TQ, RPM Air Gap Dual Plane Intake #7577, Edelbrock 750 cfm Performer Carb #1411, Holley Fuel pump (110 gph), Edelbrock #8877 water pump, MSD #8388 pro-billet RTR distrib, Comp Cam 233I/240E, lobe sep 110 deg, Hayes Heavy-Duty Flexplate, TCI Breakaway Torque Converter-stall 2200-2400, TCI 727-Street Fighter, DTS Stainless Steel balanced drive shaft tube with 7290 u-joint/yoke, DTS 3:54 Dana 60, Trak-Lok posi-unit, MT Drag Radials

Beer

Summit has both the Front shocks and subframe connectors  :yesnod:

The Mopar Performance Springs I take it are not up to speed (so to speak)?

Jim
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

firefighter3931

Quote from: Beer on June 10, 2009, 05:47:32 PM
Summit has both the Front shocks and subframe connectors  :yesnod:

The Mopar Performance Springs I take it are not up to speed (so to speak)?

Jim

I've had good luck with the SS springs but others have reported sagging issues  :shruggy:

Another option for the springs is ESPO....haven't used them personally but the reviews i've read have all been very positive.

The Comp Engineering shocks are descent. The Rancho 9-way adjustables are even better.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Beer

Got the Subframe connectors on the way.  

Holding off on the shocks till the car is painted.

Should be welded in end of July (as well as the body finished in Primer Black), naturally Pics when they are installed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-3047/

BBKNARF

I agree with Ron, Caltracs, frame conectors and rancho 9000 rear shocks. talk to Mancini Racing or Calvert racing about the caltracs.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Beer

Quote from: BBKNARF on July 02, 2009, 12:29:29 PM
I agree with Ron, Caltracs, frame conectors and rancho 9000 rear shocks. talk to Mancini Racing or Calvert racing about the caltracs.

Thanks, I am on it.  Should have the car back in primer end of July, shooting for Aug to have the rear susp put together.  Going to use the same shop that did my 8 3/4 rebuild and disc brake conversion for that.

Beer

Alrighty...

Mancini Racing was pretty useless, and did not seem interested in helping me so I went to Calvert directly.

About $940 shipping tomorrow  :drool5:

Caltrac springs, Caltracs, 9 way shocks, and U bolts.   Its supposed to bolt in to factory spring locations and should work with the weld in subframe connectors.  Went with Stock height.  They said lower the better, but I am not looking for every .0X of a second, so went stock height.

Goal is to have the rear suspension installed by Aug 15th  :cheers:

Naturally Pics as its going together and when done.

Thanks for the help  :2thumbs:

Foreman72

o i love this thread...i'm also very interested since i have a 72 i'll be beefing up...

but since it appears that you'll be talking this car out to the strip on a regular basis, it looks like we'll be in sort of different directions...

if you haven't already, check out pst.com, justsuspension.com and of course firmfeel.com...great suspension sites...best of luck

looking forward to pics for sure on this one :2thumbs:

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Beer

Question on the front drag shocks...

Lakewood, Comp Engineering, MP, or any others?

Which to get?

Jim

Foreman72

Quote from: Beer on July 24, 2009, 12:11:36 PM
Question on the front drag shocks...

Lakewood, Comp Engineering, MP, or any others?

Which to get?

Jim

QA1...check them out :Twocents:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Beer

Mocked one side today with the DR. Diff Diff Brake kit...Hope all this bolts in as it should!

Not a whole lot of threads are on the adjust bar...little worried about that.  I will check on the final setup with Caltrac on what is recommended.

mopar73

Beer

mopar73

Beer

I think it was $339 for just the Caltracs
I added the Adj shocks and the leafs + new U bolts total was $940.

firefighter3931

Nice work Jim....that car is gonna dead hook like a Mutha !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Blown68Coronet

Like it was mentioned before....GET A DRIVESHAFT LOOP!
And make sure your u-joints are good....if not they'll let ya know real quick. :D
Start your burnout in 2nd then get it up into high, get some good smoke off them then get ready to drop the hammer! :2thumbs:

Beer

Thanks Ron!

Blown, I will get the loops, but they will be added after the car is drivable  :icon_smile_big:

Timeline is upped to paint in Sept.  Rear suspension installed end of this month. Waiting on different Subframe connectors (did not like the comp engineering style).

Mike DC

If you're cruising & beating on it w/o the loop, then just make sure the front U-joint is stronger than the rear one. 

Beer

I see Mancini has a front loop, is one needed front and rear or just front?  Looks like that (front one)  will go in with the transmission as it goes on the cross brace.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Beer on August 07, 2009, 09:17:48 AM
I see Mancini has a front loop, is one needed front and rear or just front?  Looks like that (front one)  will go in with the transmission as it goes on the cross brace.

Jim, the Mancini loop is fine....i have the same one on my car. It's made by US Cartool.  :2thumbs:

* I wouldn't bother with the rear loop  :Twocents:

Ron

73 charger

I had to modify the us car tool loop to fit my 73  Mike
1973 Dodge Charger, "Big Blue", Petty Blue (TB3), 408 Stroker, 460 TQ, RPM Air Gap Dual Plane Intake #7577, Edelbrock 750 cfm Performer Carb #1411, Holley Fuel pump (110 gph), Edelbrock #8877 water pump, MSD #8388 pro-billet RTR distrib, Comp Cam 233I/240E, lobe sep 110 deg, Hayes Heavy-Duty Flexplate, TCI Breakaway Torque Converter-stall 2200-2400, TCI 727-Street Fighter, DTS Stainless Steel balanced drive shaft tube with 7290 u-joint/yoke, DTS 3:54 Dana 60, Trak-Lok posi-unit, MT Drag Radials

Beer

Here are the new Subframe connectors, dropped them off today.  I like these better tha the comp engineering ones.  The comp engineering ones the floorboard needs to be trimmed and they weld into next to the Leaf hangers, these bolt and weld in, and do not require the floorboard to be cut.