News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need help with radiator info

Started by 68RT440, June 07, 2009, 09:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RT440

OK guys, Im in search for a little verification as well as a part. I have a 68 Charger R/T, auto, no air, standard axle. I have the original 22" radiator in the car. Years ago, the engine was rebuilt, and Im assuming that the top tank of the radiator was replaced. Im thinking this because of a few different reasons. One, there are no numbers whatsoever stamped on the top tank. Second, there is a generic ribbed upper hose on it, and the outlet is in the middle. When I ordered  new hose for my car, it came and is routed to the passenger side. I also noticed that in the top of the original fan shroud, it is notched on the far passenger side. I just want to verify with you guys that this radiator (043?) came with the passenger side outlet. Now if it is supposed to have the pass. side outlet, do any of you guys know where I can get a top tank? Even if the rest of the correct radiator is junk thats fine. Id like to just have the top tank replaced because I just had the radiator upgraded to a 3 core unit and runs like a champ (never above 195*). Im hoping that this isnt like finding a needle in a haystack, but I know that you guys will be able to point me out in the right direction..Thanks
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

Ghoste

I think it is a 045 tank you are looking for but in any case, yes, it should be on the passenger side for the upper hose.

Dans 68

I agree with Ghoste that the 22" 045 was original equipment for all auto R/T's without A/C. And all 440 engines also had a 2-piece fan shroud as standard equipment, part number 2417423 for the upper shroud and part number 2417427 for the lower. Do you have a one piece or two piece fan shroud? And if you do have an "043" radiator it is fairly rare unit, and goes with 4-speed '68 383's.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68RT440

Well I definitely have the two piece fan shroud, but I have no clue on what radiator. As far as the radiator is concerned, it may be the original radiator that was retanked years ago seeing that there are no numbers on the top and the neck comes out of the center. The 043 number I came up with was just an assumption from what I gathered from another forum and was not sure if thats what my car needed. But it is in fact a 440 non a/c car with the two piece shroud, so I should be looking for an 045 top tank not the 043 that I thought...thanks for the replies guys
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me