News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

0-82750(750hp) Tuning question

Started by mikepmcs, June 05, 2009, 08:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

I need some help tuning my Holley 750.  I've searched some threads but I need some more detailed advice I guess. I'm running rich as heck and can't seem to get it licked.    2 corner idle, vac sec.  Timing is 16 init and 37 all in, xr5's.  I played with the idle mix screws the other night and turned them almost all the way in(which tells me something isn't right) So...i've put them back to 1.25 turns out as a starting point again and would like some direction from here. I remember jetting it 2 summers ago to lean it out but I don't want to keep fiddling with that.  I am going to find the stock size and put that back in and start from scratch(timing, mixture, etc...) I'm thinking from reading some of Ron's responses that maybe she's just all blocked up and needs a good cleaning.  I guess what i'm asking is...should I take the carb off and clean it or leave it on the car and spray the crap out of it.  What should I remove, what should I clean etc... is what I'm looking for.  I know these are probably elementary questions but any consideration is appreciated.
The inside of my carb literally looks like soot from a chimney and i'm tearing up like a school girl who got stood up on prom night. :lol:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 05, 2009, 08:00:25 AM

The inside of my carb literally looks like soot from a chimney and i'm tearing up like a school girl who got stood up on prom night. :lol:

v/r
Mike

Pretty descriptive Mike  :lol:

The ide and high speed bleeds are most like clogged....the fact that your mixture screws have no effect leads me to believe this is the case.  :yesnod:

Get some Gumout carb cleaner and hose the bleeds down good. Once the idle mixture screws respond to adjustment you know that they're clean. If that doesn't work the carb will need a rebuild which isn't a big deal.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

Thanks Ron.   Half a can later..... it's responded to mixture now.  I have it tweaked to about 14.5 on the vac gauge now up from 14, idle is unchanged.  The mixture screws are just under one turn out and I can stand to be in the garage(can't beat that smell though of running rich, I like it :D)
I really can't do anything else until it gets back on its feet and I can put good gas in it and mix in some toluene.  I should have my spacers for the rear this coming week, in goes the 3.91 set and then I can start getting it tuned up.  It has a slight stumble when I rack the throttle but until i get fresh stuff in there, I'm not touching it.  I'll throw some new xr5's in as well after I run it for a bit.

What are you running for an A/F gauge or do you use one?  Kind of curious as to how it would hook up/work on my Charger.

Thanks again

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

I guess those bleeds were pretty clogged up huh ?  :P

As you know leaning out the idle mixture will keep the plugs cleaner and make them last longer. Sounds like you have some "old" Gas in the tank that needs to be burned off.  ;)

Mike, i don't have an A/F meter but am looking to purchase an LM1 with a wideband O2 sensor. I allready have a bung welded into the driver side collector in preperation. Usually i just concentrate on reading the plugs to see what the mixture/jetting are doing and tune from there.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs