News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crapola! I guess there really aren't any new blower motors for 2nd gens

Started by bull, June 02, 2009, 06:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

After a 2 1/2 week search for a new blower motor I finally found one that looked right. The mounting bolts were the right size and length, the vent tube hole was there and was the right size; all but the wires coming out toward the back of the housing instead of near the front but that's not really an issue. So I took it home and it sat on my bench while I restored the rest of the heater box but when I got to the point of installing the motor I discovered the vent tube orientation was 90-degrees off from the original with the mounting bolts in the right spot. :brickwall: And there's no way to change it.

Fortunately the people who sold it to me also rebuild elec. motors so they're going to rebuild mine for the same price as the new one. The original works but it's making noise as if it's got a bad bearing. Anyway, long story short, you're probably SOL if you need a new blower motor because I've looked and looked and looked and found nothing but a big pain in my backside, and lots of burnt fuel. What am I saying? What's the lesson? Save yourself the trouble and find someone to rebuild your original motor rather than searching for a new one.

Projekts

Can you take the back off the old motor and mount it to the front of the new one in order to line up drain tube? The back half of that motor is just a shell.

bull

Quote from: Projekts on June 03, 2009, 02:46:04 AM
Can you take the back off the old motor and mount it to the front of the new one in order to line up drain tube? The back half of that motor is just a shell.

I've yet to see two motors that have the same housing configuration and fastener setup, so no.

BROCK

I wonder if you could "clock" the housing to get it to line up :shruggy:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

bull

Quote from: BROCK on June 03, 2009, 10:11:09 PM
I wonder if you could "clock" the housing to get it to line up :shruggy:

I know what you're saying but the two new blower motors I actually took home were not the kind you can loosen, turn and tighten back up at different angles. One of them you could spin 180-degrees but that gets me nowhere.

BROCK

Belgium R/T -68

I'm just busy with my heaterbox and bought a fanmotor from The Paddock a year ago, better check it then I guess? :scratchchin:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Belgium R/T -68

You were so right Bull :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_angry: I can't do sh*t with this one, you can't even open it. :brickwall: :brickwall:
Suggestions are welcome, I don't have a friend in the field. :'(

BROCK

Belgium R/T -68

I wouldn't know how to open the old one, it's some kind of rivets. :scratchchin:

bull

The only thing I might suggest if your original can't be used is to say to hell with the vent tube. That or find some way to plumb it back to where it's supposed to be. :shruggy:

The first one I bought not only had the vent tube hole in the wrong spot it was also too small and was right next to a magnet on the inside, so even if you could get the tube installed it was riding up against the magnet and would not seat correctly. :brickwall: To top it all off the place that rebuilt my motor didn't do a very good job. It's quieter but it still makes noise and they didn't bother replacing the original wires, which are somewhat brittle. I'm not sure if I will be installing it yet. I'm either going to call them and ask them to finish the job or I'm going to try to make a new one work. What a pain.

bull

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 17, 2009, 10:02:51 PM
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Blower-Motor-Factory-Air_15010001-P_117_R|GRPCOOLAMS_613233293___

Look closely at that part you linked and you'll see it's just like the incorrect one that Belgium posted above. Looking at it from the front you'll see that the vent tube hole is to the right of the mounting studs instead of to the left as it should be.

I find it rather odd that this mistake is being multiplied by every supplier out there. They'll probably stop producing them now because no one is buying them. :rotz:

c00nhunterjoe

i never trust the photos from advance online, they have shown pics of parts for my truck that are 100% wrong but the part you get is correct. i may order one to try it out just to have

bull

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 18, 2009, 10:02:53 PM
i never trust the photos from advance online, they have shown pics of parts for my truck that are 100% wrong but the part you get is correct. i may order one to try it out just to have

I hear you but so far none of the blower motors I've seen have been correct in the pictures or in real life.

Runner

sometimes im such a tard, i thought you wanted a"blower motor" like this

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

bull

OneofNoneRT

Bull, Where did you get your HTR. Box Rebuild kit? was it complete? Did it come with the fresh air seals? Cost? Recommend Or no?..   :shruggy: Thanks..
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

twodko

Hey NoneofOneRT

Welcome to the site!

Many of us have rebuilt our heater boxes. Detroit Muscle Technologies makes THE BEST heater box resto gasket kit.......period! Everything is there including simple instuctions for gasket placement and box reassembly. They also sell a fresh air plenum gasket that's excellent. Check them out at:

DMT.com

Cheers,Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

OneofNoneRT

Good..Thats what I found when I googled.. Seemed pretty complete and reasonable cost. just looking for a recomendation... :yesnod:
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

bull

Yes, what Tom said. The only other thing you'll need is some good spray-on 3M trim adhesive.