News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

neutral safety switch

Started by twodko, May 27, 2009, 02:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

I've got a 69 B-Body 727 console car. Can someone tell me where the neutral safety switch is located? Is it adjustable? Is it part of the shifter base mechanism? Thanks everybody!

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Charger-Bodie

69 neutral safety switch is on the transmission (Some VERY early 69 still had the 68 style but its unlikely) It should be a 3 pin style plug....The adjustment is made by adjusting the shift linkage.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

twodko

Thank you sir, I sure appreciate the info! Have a great week!

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

John_Kunkel

The pic below shows the location of the NSS on the drivers side of the case. Some late '68 had the 3-prong switch, all '69 and later had the 3-prong switch.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

maxwellwedge

Actually, a friend has an early 69 Hemi-X with the 68 style switch - As  1hot68 mentions above. Hemi stuff is generally weirder because of the production qty's.

John_Kunkel

The type of engine doesn't affect the BU lights, if a '69 has a single prong switch it's been changed. The changeover to the 3-prong switch actually took place on May 15, 1968.

maxwellwedge

Makes no sense to me either. I'll ask him so I can get the facts straight but what I am recalling is it was a 3 prong. He had to use a different 3 prong for it to work. Either that or change the valve body to make the switch he had work. I am just conveying what he had to do. I'll dig a little further to get more specifics. This is not something I eye-balled first hand.

mauve66

which brings up another question, if you get a tranny with the 3 prong switch but the car is wired for the single prong what options/resources do you have to fix it?? not a hijack nesseccarily but maybe a sideways jab that the poster may need....................... :pity:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

RECHRGD

Quote from: mauve66 on May 28, 2009, 08:33:12 PM
which brings up another question, if you get a tranny with the 3 prong switch but the car is wired for the single prong what options/resources do you have to fix it?? not a hijack nesseccarily but maybe a sideways jab that the poster may need....................... :pity:

That's the set up I've got.  I found a female terminal that would slide over the center post and all was well with the planet.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Ghoste

That is a cheaper solution than my getting a replacement NOS single prong switch for my 67.

mauve66

so i don't have to change the inside lever that activates the switch?
and your switch still works properly??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Ghoste

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Nacho-RT74

I think the diff is the lever cam inside tranny does have a depression to activate the back up lamp on laters, but ground points at N and P are the same. The later NSS simply won't ever get the outer NSS terminals linked by the inner lever cam function, thats all... who cares since 68 and earliers have back up lamp switch directly to shifter system
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mauve66

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 30, 2009, 10:37:08 AM
I . who cares since 68 and earliers have back up lamp switch directly to shifter system

aftermarket shifter and my 66 has a wire going to the trans and the switch on the old shifter so i will have to see what works and doesn't
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Nacho-RT74

oh... well, then you'll need to change the inners too
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

That or figure out a way to mount the reverse switch on your aftermarket shifter.

John_Kunkel

If you want to convert a '68 and earlier trans to accept a 3-prong NSS and have the BU light function work the internal lever (roostercomb) must be changed. Only the '69-'70 lever will work, the '71 and later is different. Or the entire valve body can be changed.