News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sad ending for a local '69 Mustang and it's owner.

Started by TruckDriver, May 24, 2009, 11:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

This happened Friday night about 20 minutes from me. It didn't hold up to well against the Ford Ranger.  :'(

Another reality check that your old cars are not as safe as we might think compared to the newer cars.

http://www.wiscnews.com/bdc/news/area_briefs/452309

TOWN OF BURNETT: Beaver Dam man killed in crash

A 51-year-old Beaver Dam man was killed in a two-vehicle crash at 5:20 p.m. on Friday at the intersection of Highways I and E.

According to the Dodge County Sheriff's Department,  Stephen A. Levandoski was driving south on Highway I and turned right onto Highway E, when his car was struck by a pick-up truck being driven west on Highway E by Joseph N. Meyer, 83, of Beaver Dam.

Both men were transported to Beaver Dam Community Hospital, where the Levandoski was declared dead.

The crash remains under investigation.

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

terrible one

Wild!

Either the Ranger was going WAY too fast, or the Mustang pulled out directly (and at the wrong time) into the Ranger's path.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

C_stripes

:o :o WOW! I feel sorry for the family. I can't believe how toasted that mustang is. I would figure it would have held up better than that. On a good note though, he probably died doing what he loved. Driving a muscle car.

RIP
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

tan top

:o  not good right on the driver side as well  :rotz:  sad   :angel:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

resq302

I bet if it had been another kind of car, the mustang owner would have been a lot better off.  Look at where the rocker panel is.  Almost looks untouched.  Since the ranger was higher than the mustang was, all of the blow probably got transferred right to the door and quarter panel / roof area.  The mustangs have uni body like our chargers do so most of the structural integrity is the rocker panels, roof, a posts, etc.  You figure the door has probably got to be the weakest point on the car since it only has essentially 3 mounting points.  The hinges and the striker latch.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Hemidog

Tilar

I was just on another board I frequent and the guy that died in this Mustang was a friend of the owner of this other site. Here is what hit him...

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

mikepmcs

Terrible to say the least.

" struck by a pick-up truck being driven west on Highway E by Joseph N. Meyer, 83, of Beaver Dam"
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69*F5*SE

1970Moparmann

I know it's a controversial situation, but reaction time at 83 isn't that good.  I've even seen my mothers reaction time spiral down from 65 to 70.  She just had a drivers test by Illinois, and passed again.  Who knows the complete facts on this one...

Sad story.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on May 24, 2009, 11:15:59 AM
This happened Friday night about 20 minutes from me. It didn't hold up to well against the Ford Ranger.  :'(

Another reality check that your old cars are not as safe as we might think compared to the newer cars.

Exactly.  I'd much rather be in a new rig designed to absorb an impact rather than our old iron.

I feel bad for everyone involved.  :engel016:

Mike DC

I think the description sounds more like the Mustang owner would be at fault to tell you the truth. 

Think about this: He's making a right turn at an intersection, and then gets whacked in the door by an oncoming vehicle. 

If the Mustang had pulled out assuming the truck would be willing to slow down even a little bit, then I don't think he would've caught the truck in the side.  He'd almost surely just get rear-ended if this happened because the truck owner failed to slow down a bit.  Whereas that Mustang actually took a hit virtually square-on in the side.  Even if the truck driver was moderately speeding (like going 70 in a 55 or something) and didn't brake at all, the Mustang still probably wouldn't have taken the hit so immediately upon entering the lane.

It looks/sounds to me like the Mustang driver pulled out into the path of an oncoming truck when it was obviously not gonna work. 

Troy

:iagree: Unless it was a 2 lane highway and the truck changed lanes (left to right). I can't tell you how many times I've seen people change lanes while entering or crossing an intersection. It's a sad sight and story either way.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

FJ5WING

:popcrn:

just waiting for the "Damn anyone for having an accident with a classic car" people to start accusing the truck driver of texting or using a cell phone!  ::)
wingless now, but still around.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 25, 2009, 03:34:06 PM
:popcrn:

just waiting for the "Damn anyone for having an accident with a classic car" people to start accusing the truck driver of texting or using a cell phone!  ::)

I bet the stupid guy in the truck was on the phone!!!! Idiots like that are the main cause of acidents!!!! :RantExplode:

Just messing with ya :nana: Damn, that's a shame. That Mustang took a major hit compared to that Ranger :o
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

I wonder if it's fair to say the damage is worst because it's an old car?  I wonder how bad an accident that would be with any car hit like that the Mustangs size?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bearbqd

It's sad and a shame all around, but I really doubt an 83 man would be texting. I doubt he even had a cell phone. You know how resistant most old timers are to technology.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

FJ5WING

Quote from: bearbqd on May 26, 2009, 06:16:16 AM
It's sad and a shame all around, but I really doubt an 83 man would be texting. I doubt he even had a cell phone. You know how resistant most old timers are to technology.

Exactly!!!!

But handfuls of peeps brought it up when the 74yo lady hit the Nova from behind.  :shruggy:
wingless now, but still around.

bearbqd

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 26, 2009, 04:31:50 PM
Quote from: bearbqd on May 26, 2009, 06:16:16 AM

Exactly!!!!

But handfuls of peeps brought it up when the 74yo lady hit the Nova from behind.  :shruggy:
Is that thread on here? Never saw it.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

400/6/PAC

Thats too bad.
You never know whats going to happen when You go for a ride.

SFRT

one more reason I want to convince my wife to let put a roll cage in the charger.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mopar73

I heard about that accident on the news the other day.  Terrible way to go.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: SFRT on May 27, 2009, 12:31:29 PM
one more reason I want to convince my wife to let put a roll cage in the charger.
I think that type of hit would require a NASCAR roll cage to make any real difference. :lol:
Even then, the whiplash & head injuries would probably have been fatal. Regardless of who was at fault, it sucks to see accidents like that.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Finn

Quote from: Charger_Fan on May 27, 2009, 01:42:04 PM
I think that type of hit would require a NASCAR roll cage to make any real difference.

I agree. Just the other day I was working under my charger and when I noticed how weak (in crash aspects) the car is. Despite its size there is really not much to it at all.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L