News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Had a "Get My Projects Under Control Sale"

Started by Old Moparz, May 18, 2009, 08:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

When I saw the Charger convertible conversion on display by MARS Mopar at the Chryslers at Carlisle show in 2008, I took the for sale ads down for my Coronet 500 convertible, & reluctantly listed my '71 Barracuda. I didn't think it would take as long as it did, but I finally sold the Barracuda this past weekend. I'm my own worst enemy at having too many projects going at the same time, whether it's cars, the house, or anything else I do.

I have a wife that never says "You can't buy that part!" or "What do you need another car for?" Which in my case is probably a bad thing.  :smilielol:

Anyway, this guy from Baltimore, MD emailed & asked some questions about the car, then after talking on the phone he had a friend that works here in Newburgh come look at it for him. I was glad that someone went through the effort to do that because the worse thing you can do is to "NOT LOOK AT A CAR" before buying it. I tried to be as detailed as I could in my ad with the condition & had about 90 photos of the car so people could see what they were getting into.

The car actually looked worse in photos than in person, so I think that had a lot to do with not selling it so fast along with the economy. I was relieved that it sold, but once the car was on his trailer Saturday, reality sunk in that I no longer owned it. Oh well, maybe one day if I get caught up on all my crap & sell another car I get bored with I'll hunt down another '71, but maybe it'll be a ragtop. The guy who bought it was very cool & seemed very nice. He said he plans to make it into a stick shift car & drop a 440 into it after he does the body work.

Funny thing that happened was, I bumped into him at the Englishtown Mopar show on Sunday. He told me he drove from Baltimore, MD to Newburgh, NY & back on Saturday, then picked up a friend on Sunday & went to Englishtown, NJ to the Mopar show & bought a bunch of sheet metal from Auto Body Specialties to get started. That's a lot of driving & spending in one weekend, but hopefully worth it. I hope he takes photos of the resto along the way, I'd love to see it one day.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Just 6T9 CHGR

Tis a sad sight to see them leave the nest :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on May 18, 2009, 08:11:09 AM
Tis a sad sight to see them leave the nest :(

But, one less car to think about.   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69*F5*SE

Less clutter in the mind without the extra car to worry about.  A positive move on your part. 

Old Moparz

No doubt about it, there is plenty of relief that a big project like that is not on my agenda anymore. A '71 Barracuda is one of several cars that's been a favorite of mine & something I still want, but not right now. I bought it maybe 5 years back before prices went totally insane so I could get one while I was still able to afford it. The plan was to store it until a later date, & when more of the after market parts became available I'd start on it.

I had also decided that my other plan of building a Charger convertible was beyond my ability, even after taking a welding class, so I was selling the Coronet at the time. Once I saw the MARS Mopar display at Carlisle & talked to them about converting my Coronet convertible's rear clip to a Charger, I was able to go back to my original plan from 10 or 12 years ago of building a Charger convertible.

I also realized that time & energy weren't as plentiful as they used to be, so having 2 major bodywork projects like the Barracuda & the Charger convertible would do me in. Besides, I couldn't afford it either.....LOL
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger_Fan

That's good that you found it a good home. I know it's sort of a bittersweet feeling to give up on the project idea & watch it drive away. I sold one of my old projects recently too (a truck), with more on the list. Not enough time, for sure not enough money & my supply of give a shit is hastily depleting lately. I'm contemplating selling my yellow '70, if it looks like someone will put it back together again...not that I will really know it's fate once it's gone, I guess.

Anyhoo, cool beans. Now you have more room in the garage. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

89MOPAR

Sad to see you have to give one up, but it sounds like it is for the better, financially.
I've sold several cool old mopars that , in retrospect i should have held onto, but that would have meant i wouldn't own the cars i have now.
The way i look at it, if you pass it on, in the same or better condition as when you got it, you've done right by the car.

There's definitely a point where you have to realistically look at what you can Afford to fix/ repair/ restore.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +