News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8.75 issues

Started by c00nhunterjoe, May 17, 2009, 05:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

hey guys, new to the forum and in need of help. i just bought a 742 3rd member off of ebay and popped it in the car, 69 charger, i was not aware at the time that the 742 uses the thrust buttons for endplay so i am assuming that this 3rd member doesnt have them in it since i can crank my adjuster in all the way and still have 1/2 inch of slop in the axles. i cant find them available online so i am debating on getting the updated style green bearings from moser- http://www.jegs.com/p/Moser/827400/10002/-1  i have heard mixed reviews on the style bearing but from what i can tell they are the same type used on mustangs, and medium duty ford trucks so i dont see what the issue is runnign them on a charger? either way i need your help so opinions on what to do and what i need to get my car going again. thanks!

mikepmcs

The thrust buttons are available.

This thread might be of some help.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43658.0.html

page 2 has the thrust buttons and supplier I think.

Welcome by the way.
:wave:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

c00nhunterjoe

thanks for the quick reply, and nice general lee.  the pictures that are posted look identical to my problem, his picture looking down the axle tube is exactly what mine looks liek so it seems my buttons are gone. the ebay link is no good anymore so i am still up the creek for a stock rebuild. from what i can gather you dont need that pin? just some grease to hold them in till the axle goes in there?  its really sounding like the moser replacements are going to be ordered

mikepmcs

crap, I need to find another set so I can stuff the 3.91's in my charger.

Brian, where are you.... :lol:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Yeah dont' buy those ... You can get em for like $13.

c00nhunterjoe

i cant find them anywhere online!  :brickwall: :brickwall:

mikepmcs

Brian's(1hot68) online right now, maybe he will see this and respond.

mikepmcs

c00nhunterjoe

ok, so what do you think.... try and fix the thrust pins and set it up or get the new moser bearings?

mikepmcs

c00nhunterjoe

not a bad deal, i am kind of leanig towards the new bearings at this point, my old ones look a little worn anyway. i may still pick those up just to have

Nacho-RT74

contact to doctor diff... he has them cheap too.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

well i just ordered these- http://www.jegs.com/p/Moser/827400/10002/-1  and overnighted them, total cost was 108 to my door. only reason i paid the extra to overnight is i am on night shift this week so i have all day to play with the car.....

firefighter3931

I like the green bearings....simple and no axle endplay adjustments. Press them on and install the axles...you're ready to roll !  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

my bearings came in this morning. they seem pretty heavy duty to me. i think i will be happy with the results.

how exactly do they install with the snap ring? i assume that the snap ring goes on the outside of the endplate?

i hope to pull the car apart in the morning and get the new bearings pressed on. then its test drive and videos!

70daytonaclone

I bought a set of those spacers off ebay and tried to install them today. :RantExplode: I ended up taking my axles and third member back out as my left axle tightened up and would not turn without a pry bar on it and the right axle would not even go in the rearend.(right bearing race didn't even go in the housing) I pulled out the axle and it had a grease ring on it so I know (both) it was hitting the spacer. the spacers have side movement on them as installed. like a 1/4 inch or better. this is my first install of the older clutch pack type sure-grip and I'm kinda in the dark. I was thinking about trimming down the spacers but I need some help. I don't have a service manual so any help would be mosdt appreciated. Stephen

mikepmcs

I installed the rear on my coronet using the correct thrust spacers a couple weeks ago and did not have the problems you are having.  Something doesn't sound right here at all.  I had the same play side to side when I moved the spacers in the housing back and forth.  I stuffed the rear in there slid the axles in, adjusted the end play, and everything was mint. 

I'm still waiting on my spacers, that I bought over a week ago on ebay, so I can put the new chunk in my Charger.  Just got an email tonight from the seller saying on back order.  Does anyone know if someone has these on the shelf right now.  I will get a refund and buy elsewhere.  A little frustrated with a couple ebay sellers at the moment.  When I get to this rear, I will do the same procedure and let you know how it goes.  I just think something is installed wrong or binding up on you.  I've never experienced what you are going through and I've removed and installed these rears numerous times with good result every time.  Only issue I ever had was on the first one.  I had a little trouble with the end play theory but it was quickly remedied.  You should be going counter clockwise to tighten up the end play to the desired spec.

mikepmcs

Ok, don't get mad, but I have to ask this question as this is the only way you would get a little grease ring and still possibly have installed them incorrectly.  Did you install the spacers like the picture shown(small ends pointing towards each other) 
I guess it is possible theoretically to install the spacers backwards(small ends) facing wheels and that would still let you see a little ring where they touched but would not let your axle go in.

70daytonaclone

yea thats the way I did it. ok so the side to side play is supposed to be there. thats a good sign. I tried the axles in the sure grip on the ground and they go in. maybe that just cleaned and painted housing is bent? I know I am getting plenty of practice on this car!LOL I have a second housing that I cleaned and painted I will try it tomorrow and see what I get! I would sure like this to work out. I have done several of the 489 sure grips and didn't have any problems.

70daytonaclone

I used a housing that was a standup under a 68 charger, it had no 3rd member in it. the other one I got has a crack where the bearing race goes right by the bottom stud. I got a third housing but it is a really ugly rusty pitted monster. I guess I could go to the local junk yard and get one out of a 66 4 door satellite. well its just the luck of the Irish don't ya know! I hope to get this 1969 charger 4 speed car going this year! it has a 381 and an od trans in it. have a great night all. Stephen

mikepmcs

very good info here on the 8.75.  years produced, cases, etc.....

http://www.mopar1.us/875.html

70daytonaclone

I read that article it was very good, informative. I got my rear end problem fixed. I had to change the housing. I couldn't see anything wrong with it but it wouldn't turn when it is assembled. So I put together another housing and the axles and 3rd member worked fine. got the brakes on and tires and rims down on the ground!!! :D

Chryco Psycho

Mopar had the buttons new last year from your local dealer , didi you try that yet ?

70daytonaclone

I got mine off ebay from Bill Rolik. worked jusdt fine. 25$ plus shipping. ;)