News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fan shroud help

Started by Kyles69, May 14, 2009, 03:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyles69

Hello!  I've got a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440 (originally had a 383) Automatic, with a 26 inch radiator.  The car currently has no fan shroud & I was told by the Year One sales staff that part number FD603 should fit my car only if it had a fan shroud from the factory.  How do I know if it came with one originally?  There are 2 studs on one side and 3 on the other side of the radiator that appears to be for mounting a shroud, and Year One's description of the FD603 says the same  (2 holes on one side & 3 on the other) for their fan shroud.  Can anyone be of any assistance in this matter?

Charger-Bodie

Those 5 studs are indeed the mounting studs for the shroud....I would buy a shroud directly from a chrysler dealer and save some money though.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

70 500

if the shroud clears everything why not just drill holes for the studs if youre not 100% concerned about appearance
hold my beer, this is gonna be fun

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 70 500 on May 14, 2009, 08:49:59 PM
if the shroud clears everything why not just drill holes for the studs if youre not 100% concerned about appearance

Unless I read it wrong he already has the proper studs. Why would he need to drill holes?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Kyles69

Yes, the studs are already there!  I was also told that a C body radiator was commonly swapped out & used in B body cars!  But do the C body radiators have the 5 mounting studs as well??  And if so will the B body shroud work.  By the way, thanks to "1hot68", I called my local dodge dealer & you were right, they can get me a shroud and its about half the price.  Just trying to make sure I'm getting the proper shroud though!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Kyles69 on May 15, 2009, 02:24:36 PM
Yes, the studs are already there!  I was also told that a C body radiator was commonly swapped out & used in B body cars!  But do the C body radiators have the 5 mounting studs as well??  And if so will the B body shroud work.  By the way, thanks to "1hot68", I called my local dodge dealer & you were right, they can get me a shroud and its about half the price.  Just trying to make sure I'm getting the proper shroud though!

You are right on about the C-body radiators....What are the numbers on the top tank of your radiator in the car?

Kyles69

The number on the top tank of my radiator is 2898 070, the upper radiator hose is on the passenger side with 2 studs for I guess shroud mounting, and the lower hose is on the driver side with 3 studs.  I went ahead and ordered a shroud from my local dealership, but concerned now that I may need to buy a radiator as well.

gtx6970

2898070 = 1968 C-body 26"

Kyles69

...so are you telling me the 69 B-body shroud will not work??