News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CARS MOVIE SUPERBIRD

Started by nascarxx29, May 14, 2009, 03:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

The 70 Superbird that Disney rented to do the cartoon drafting work for the Movie "Cars". The owner made quite a pretty penny for the 3 months that Disney had it out in California.

Which is also the same superbird from gone in 60 seconds and the cars story superbird that was used.That Lou M from NJ owns quite a pedigree for this particular superbird to have been used for to these 2 movies
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The eastcoastmopar.com link goes right to customcarz.com link.

From what Louie has told me, he found the car in a garage when he was working one day.  The guy initially said no and his wife persuaded him to sell the thing.  He apparently didn't know what he had as Louie got it for a great price.  The price I will let Louie divulge.  From what I remember, all that the paint has had done was just polished up.  Possibly, but not 100 % sure, but possibly, one repaint.  When it went out to CA for the movie CARS to have it shot and scanned or whatever they did, they buffed up the car really nice so it would shine up good for the pictures.  The problem is, they only did the sides of the car and major areas that would be seen.  The panel under the window was missed or forgotten and looks duller than the rest of the car.

Again, he has a gorgeous car for those of you who have not seen it.  The car certainly has some nice credits to go along with the history of the car.

resq302

Louie is a GREAT guy.  I have known him for years.  For the longest time, if there was a Mopar category either Louie or I would get first and second.  Now that his car has all this claim to fame and was polished up, he would probably beat me hands down.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chris G.

Quote from: nascarxx29 on May 14, 2009, 03:31:02 PM
From what Louie has told me, he found the car in a garage when he was working one day.  The guy initially said no and his wife persuaded him to sell the thing.  He apparently didn't know what he had as Louie got it for a great price.  The price I will let Louie divulge.

That's not what I heard. I know the previous owner of the car (I'm sure you do to Dave), and Louie paid a good price for a known Superbird. He didn't find it in some garage on Staten Island and buy it for 3K or whatever. He loves telling the story, but it is fabricated. The previous owner Vinnie (from Jersey) laughs everytime he hears the story. He currently owns a Bird as well.

As far as the Cars movie, I thought a member from Moparts (CalMopar) had his car used? I remember an old thread with pictures from the shoot and everything.

You should see Louie's window sticker on his car. Someone "whited out" numbers and filled them in with pen to match his cars numbers. pretty funny stuff.

Nice car though!

nascarxx29

I recall something like a GTO Judge was traded to Vinnie P for the superbird .I have many old wingcar newsletters including the vin with that car and how Vinnie came to owning it.From what I know the car has always been in NJ .I didnt expect it also had made its way to and had California and movie connections to 2 movies.I got the Cars movie and had heard rumors that Lou is named on the credits??? I do remember the Cal Mopar saying that his car was used and got zip.So still didnt know the real story as Pat Mc Kinneys who also previously owned the Joe Dirt and other TV cars his superbird was used in Gone in 60 Seconds.But heard it was Lous car aswell.As being from from NJ I thought its a intersting story to check out about a NJ based wingcar

BigBlockSam

Louie also told me that he had a real daytona and a general lee charger .plus a bunch of other high dollar mopars  :shruggy:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

resq302

The rumor that Louie told me he had a daytona also but ended up selling it since it was pretty much a basket case rust wise.  He also mentioned to me that he had a general lee also years ago.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BigBlockSam

He told me his daytona was nice and his friend was gonna drive it to the whiskey for him . this was years ago  :scratchchin:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

maxwellwedge

All of his true, totally conflicting stories sound solid to me! The Sybil of Mopar owners. :smilielol:

resq302

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 15, 2009, 07:03:29 PM
He told me his daytona was nice and his friend was gonna drive it to the whiskey for him . this was years ago  :scratchchin:

Well, we all know how the salt effects our cars.  Must be worse here in Jersey than what I thought.  Note to self...... take the charger out one month after it stops snowing and the salt is totally gone from the roads.
Brian

BigBlockSam

QuoteWell, we all know how the salt effects our cars.  Must be worse here in Jersey than what I thought.

:smilielol:

carmovieman

A California guy, Patrick McKinney's 1970 Superbird was used for a brief scene in the Gone in 60 Seconds remake. He also provided cars for other movies. There exists a series of photos taken during the filming that show the car as Patrick's. Anyone saying anything to the contrary is misinformed or worse.

The car used as the model for Petty voiced Strip Weathers, also known as The King in the 2006 Pixar animated movie Cars. His car, the Road Runner Superbird with distinctive "Petty" blue tint and number #43, is also the model for the car used in the movie. The King's crash at the end of the movie was also a re-creation of Petty's real-life Daytona 500 accident in 1988 with the exception that it was not caused by a deliberate crash as in the movie. Petty's wife Lynda plays The King's wife, a station wagon, in the movie as well. The car is on display at the Petty Museum. Any doubts, give the Petty Museum a call and ask
Richard Petty Museum
www.pettyracing.com
142 W. Academy Street
Randleman, NC 27317
(336) 495-1143

The 70 Superbird that Disney rented to do the cartoon drafting work for the Movie "Cars". The owner made quite a pretty penny for the 3 months that Disney had it out in California.

Which is also the same superbird from gone in 60 seconds and the cars story superbird that was used.That Lou M from NJ owns quite a pedigree for this particular superbird to have been used for to these 2 movies

[/quote]

Aero426

Quote from: Chris G. on May 15, 2009, 08:03:41 AM
As far as the Cars movie, I thought a member from Moparts (CalMopar) had his car used? I remember an old thread with pictures from the shoot and everything.

There were two street Superbirds involved with the production of Cars.   Serge (Calmopar) has the second car.  This was explained on Moparts some time ago.

DAY CLONA

carmovieman

What is your source for this information????

[/quote]

There were two street Superbirds involved with the production of Cars.   Serge (Calmopar) has the second car.  This was explained on Moparts some time ago.
[/quote]

calmopar

Pixar used my Superbird for a few days, making a clay model and taking 360 deg pictures.  You can see my car (Tor-Red, not Petty Blue) at Pixar in their book "The Art of Cars."  That was an easy match, my business is 1/2 block from their HQ and studios in Emeryville.

I also have a letter from Pixar thanking me for the use of my car.  I was invited down south to Disney to show the car at a later date and have some nice pics from a car show there.

I cannot speak about any other car or cars that may have been used as I don't have that information, but I'd love to see another letter from Pixar or Disney to compare the language they used out of curiosity.

Nobody's ever interested in my 1968 Hemi Charger, red, white top, white guts, power windows, rear defroster.  It's always Superbird, Superbird, Superbird!   :cheers:

carmovieman

What is your source for this information????

I just read the rest of this board and note a number of misconceptions about both films. As to the above it is not the case.... there were photos of the production of "Gone in 60 Seconds" which used actual cars, in that case a dark blue/purple superbird with a vinyl roof.

If you understand how Pixar produces their films you would know they do not use full size cars for anything. The producers traveled to the various auto makers for inspiration. They constructed models of each car about 1/18 scale. Not Petty's car or any other car was sent to California It was only needed for the idea. Note the number #43 on the movie car. Anyone how claims a apecific car was used as a model is pulling your leg, as they say. If you are aware of someone claiming they have the car used in the film, in my opinion, they should be aware all such things have a copywrite associated with them and making false claims violates these rights.
[/quote]

If you have any documented proof the the contrary please post it.

carmovieman

Not Petty's car or any other car was sent to California

It appears there is some confusion regarding the Pixar process. Certainly if your car was used in the process you know best. My information was:
1. No cars were shipped to CA for the purposes of the film's production.
2. It was Petty's car that was used as the inspiration for the character.
3. Full size cars were not needed in the Pixar process.

It appears all but #3 were correct as your car was down the street. Do you have any info on the other cars used as models?

As to your letter from Disney, I just became aware of other "documented" Superbirds owned by folks who are making money from the claim that their car is the actual one used in the film.

What are the chances of Pixar shipping a car in with one in their backyard and Petty's in his museum.

calmopar

As I mentioned, I have no idea how many other cars, if any, were used by Pixar/Disney at any part of the process.  All I know is that they used my car, put it in the book "The Art of Cars" (the only one shown in the book), and thanked me with a letter.

If anyone else is "making money" based on their claims, true or not, it's between them, the people who pay them, and whatever higher being they worship.  I would not be terribly surprised to learn that other Superbirds were used.

The Disey/Pixar merger was completed on May 5, 2006.  Cars was released on May 26, 2006.  It's a safe bet that the movie was complete before Disney came on the scene.

I'm kind of missing the point - is someone doubting that other cars were really used?   Are the other people doubting my car was used?  What's the beef here, if any?

moparstuart

:popcrn: clay model from pettys museum
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DC_1

carmovieman

As I mentioned, I have no idea how many other cars, if any, were used by Pixar/Disney at any part of the process.  All I know is that they used my car, put it in the book "The Art of Cars" (the only one shown in the book), and thanked me with a letter.

If anyone else is "making money" based on their claims, true or not, it's between them, the people who pay them, and whatever higher being they worship.  I would not be terribly surprised to learn that other Superbirds were used.

My inquiry has nothing to do with your car. I should have said that up front. It is important to a promoter to determine if a certain car, whose owner claimed was used in the film, actually was, before committing to a deal. I will say from all I have been able to determione there is no mention of any car being used in the production of the film. Yours being the first. There is mention of Pixar staff visiting auto manufacturers and old auto production plants. Petty's car is, without question, the model for the character. He was the voice used of the character in the film. 

The Disey/Pixar merger was completed on May 5, 2006.  Cars was released on May 26, 2006.  It's a safe bet that the movie was complete before Disney came on the scene.

The Pixar Disney deal was actually held up until the film was completed.

I'm kind of missing the point - is someone doubting that other cars were really used?   Are the other people doubting my car was used?  What's the beef here, if any?
[/quote]

As I explained above, my interest is in verifying the authenticity of the claims already made for another Superbird. It's owner claims his car was shipped across the country and kept for months while being used as a model for the film. I have found no evidence indicating that story is true. Aside from my finding nothing to verify the claim, it does not seem logical, especially with your car being so close. As you are well aware, you have a great car and a very special one. All the best of luck with it. Sorry to have taken your time, your input has helped me out and I thank you for that.

A383Wing

nascarxx29

The NJ cars superbird Its past owners was Vinnie Platino .And then to Lou M.I never heard of it being the actual cars movie superbird.Until running into Lou at Local shows .Its suppose to have his name in the ending film credits or cars .But never checked did anyone see whos credited in the ending credits

carmovieman

The NJ cars superbird Its past owners was Vinnie Platino .And then to Lou M.I never heard of it being the actual cars movie superbird.Until running into Lou at Local shows .Its suppose to have his name in the ending film credits or cars .But never checked did anyone see whos credited in the ending credits
[/quote]

You don't have to review the movie to check out the credits. They are listed in complete detail on the web. Search "cars" movie credits or anything close to that and you will find them. That was one of the first things I checked. There is no credit given for any actual cars used in the filming/production.