News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 440 hp increases

Started by noobchargerboy, May 12, 2009, 02:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noobchargerboy

ok as my name states I am new to all this so take it easy haha, so my buddy bought a 73 charger 2 years ago and picked up a 72 440 for it, we dont know anything about it because it didnt come with papers.  What are some cheaper ways to increase the horsepower on it? Right now we have a holley 750 on it, with a mechanical fuel pump I believe its 110gph not really 100% sure though, we put some headers on it 2 1/2 inch, and well thats about all we would know about it considering we havent ripped apart the engine.  So what degree should it be timed at? should we hook up the vacuum advance, what is gunna get the best hp for the money?

noobchargerboy

it also has an edelbrock intake not sure what kind though

Purple440

Timing depends on the cam.  Since you don't know what that is, try between 12-18 degrees initial timing.  If you have a bigger cam, which you should be able to tell by how it runs, up the timing closer to 16-18 initial.  If it starts really well your initial timing is close.  You'll have to play with it to find out what your engine likes.  The stock 440's had 36-38 total timing I believe.

Those are big headers.  I have 1 3/4 on my 440, but it's got iron heads and no porting.  It should be stamped on the intake whether it's a Performer or Performer RPM.  If it sits high and you're using a drop base air cleaner it's probably the RPM.  Search the site on intake manifolds to find info on that.

Cheapest performance for the money is the gears. What do you have now?  Don't blow your cash on top end mods until you know what you have.  The senior guys can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

- Doug

firefighter3931

With a stock engine time it at 15* at idle and see how it runs. Check the total timing to see how much mechanical advance is built into the distributor....you want 38* total advance by 3000 rpm. I allways disable the vacuum advance.

You have some descent upgrades on the engine currently ; headers/intake/carb so any future Horsepower increases will be focused on internal engine modifications. There is some descent power to be had with just a simple cam swap.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

noobchargerboy

thanks, and by 2 1/2 headers i meant exhaust lol, but I am going to go try the new timing out right now ill let you guys know how it works for me. Again thanks for the info