News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Smoke from near alternator

Started by 69bronzeT5, May 03, 2009, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

My Duster when we first tried starting it, either the alternator or the wiring right behind the alternator started smoking a bit. We kept going and the smoke stopped. We tried starting it again (testing the old starter) but I saw no smoke. The wiring all looks fine behind the starter so what was with the smoke? And why is there no smoke now? I'm not complaining about no smoke of course but just curious :popcrn:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikepmcs

Maybe it was just some stuff/junk/dust.... tucked into the alternator and it got burned up when the thing was winding up.  What did it smell like??

Sometimes the best way to find the source is to burn it up, that's not a good theory by the way. :lol:

Next time, please stop, check out the wiring, and if all looks good, then proceed with caution. 

Found some wiring nightmare(burnt up bundle) on my 67 Coronet yesterday just when I was about to get her back on the road after screwing with that thing for days.  Took a few hours and some running around, but the wiring is clean and now my horn works as it should(never did and the wire was just hanging there).  So I have to wait another week to get it on the road due to needing a new tranny pan gasket but it's better than having a burned up car.

By the way, FSM's I now highly recommend them. :2thumbs:

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69bronzeT5

Well when it started smoking, we stopped. Then we waited a minute, tried again and it smoked again. So we stopped and got the car towed to my grandparents. Then when we tried a few weeks later, there was no smoke. I was figuring like you said, about dirt and crap in there. Regarding smell, no idea. I never bothered to smell it. The smoke was white, almost light grey in colour.

mikepmcs

hmmmm, probably not dust then.  Wiring has a very distinct smell and you cannot mistake it.  Trying or not, you would have caught a whiff.
I guess the only thing I can say is next time you are at the car, look over all the wires around the alternator and look for anything out of the ordinary(charred/bubbled tape, melted insulation, etc...)  I would disconnect the battery and check for loose wires all around the area. 

Could have just been an anomaly, but my electronics experience tells me, it might be a sign of something bigger.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69bronzeT5

I could be wrong but if it was wiring burning, wouldn't it be black? I checked the wires around it and they looked fine. Some of the outer wrap was loose (kinda peeled) but the inner type wrap on the wires was fine.

bordin34

Nope, wire burning from too much heat or amperage is a nice grayish white.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

mikepmcs

I was just thinking out loud as in what the heck was it, not necessarily saying it was wiring or it wasn't wiring

69bronzeT5

69bronzeT5

It's the fat black wire that is capped at the end. Looks like a ground wire? My dad said the wires aren't getting hot. I got a question though. Right now we are shorting out the starter relay to start it (bad relay- replacing it very soon), could that cause the alternator to smoke?

PS: I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS :flame: :brickwall: :RantExplode: :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_dissapprove:

firefighter3931

Cody, make sure that the heavy black wire connection is tight...that is the main power feed to the bulkhead connection on the firewall. Loose connections will create resistance and heat...which in turn can cause smoke if any dirt or crud were in the area. Keep those wires isolated from heat....tape them up.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69bronzeT5

So what am I supposed to tape up? The end of the black wire that is capped? :shruggy:

mikepmcs

Cody
Ron is talking about the wires themselves, keep them from the heat in general.  Taping them in turn insulates them from the heat and also you need to move them away from heat sources as well(exhaust/engine, etc......)
Can you take some better pics of that wire nest you have going on there please so we can sort this out.
It appears to have a wire nut on there holding/capping the wires.  We are gonna clean this up.  As far as the hose goes, that looks like aftermarket hose that you would buy at a auto parts store to me. ie: standard replacement hose. What's Chris G's color on his? You know that is most likely correct color wise. :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Well, all the other wires look to be in the right place. That black wire is the only one that's capped and is questionable. However, I'm going to Vancouver tomorrow night to drive the car home on Saturday and I have no computer there so I can't get pics up :shruggy:

mikepmcs

Take some electrical tape then and wrap em up good for the ride home. :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 28, 2009, 05:37:29 PM
Take some electrical tape then and wrap em up good for the ride home. :2thumbs:

Think that will stop the smoking or? Like it's not major smoke...just little puffs of it.

mikepmcs

If it is still smoking...you gotta find the source of that smoke prior to driving it home.  If you don't then you will possibly burn the car up.  I know you are excited as heck to get the car home but take a few minutes and clean up the compartment(i'm not talking washing it), rewrap wires, tighten things, etc......
Look for bare spots in the wires, loose connections anything that might be causing issues.  If you can get it dark in there, start it up and look for arcing(easier to see sparks in the dark as well as glowing hot wires)
You have to take the time to do this without exception. 

Once you have tightened up things, repaired loose connections, made sure no wires are cut and everything is in good order, then wrap the wires with electrical tape.  At that point you have done what you can do. 

Make sure you disconnect the battery first before you go pokin around.
Mike

69bronzeT5

Well, I've checked the wires around the area where it smoked and I didn't see any bare wires. The only thing it might be is...not too sure but somebody spray painted the alternator, maybe it's the paint that got on the inside burning off maybe? Also....we looked when it was smoking and the wires were not getting hot. All looks fine except that capped black wire :shruggy:

mikepmcs

Do you know where the capped black wire goes or why it's capped off?
Is it a wire from the horn relay or something else like the washer pump?   
The paint idea is a possibility. :scratchchin:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 28, 2009, 07:19:48 PM
Do you know where the capped black wire goes or why it's capped off?
Is it a wire from the horn relay or something else like the washer pump?   
The paint idea is a possibility. :scratchchin:

I've heard from a couple I people that it's the main power feed wire for the alternator. It basically just comes straight out of the wiring harness (the one where the alternator wires come from) and then it's capped.

mikepmcs

you mean that fat black wire that is in the left of the picture is part of that cluster of wires that is all nutted together , something ain't right there. Like Ron said that is the main feed so how can it be capped off? 
Read Ron's post again and make sure that baby is tight and if it is tapping off power with other wires that everything is secure and neatly done.  Isn't that just supposed to go straight to the bulkhead(i'm thinking out loud here)

69bronzeT5

I think you just hit something there!!!! :o Do you think the wire broke and somebody just put a cap on it and left it? If so, what's the best way to fix it? Solder them back together?

375instroke

Could it have been some oil on the exhaust right behind the alternator that burned?

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 375instroke on May 28, 2009, 11:49:37 PM
Could it have been some oil on the exhaust right behind the alternator that burned?

Well, that you mention it, there was actually oil on the actual wires themselves. :scratchchin:

mjwebb

make sure there are washers on the connection...my alternator wire did not and the bolt on the alt got orange hot and was smoking and actually had a little flame goin on

69bronzeT5