News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Old, Old timers. When you where Bad, what did yours look like?

Started by cudaken, November 13, 2005, 09:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Here's me in about 73 or 74   in the 72! 

Does this picture make me an old old timer and make me look bad? I have the stupid clothes on like everyone else?!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

firefighter3931

Quote from: 8WHEELER on November 16, 2005, 02:03:42 AM
OK OK I will let us be called old timers but we are not........ ok we are   :moon:

This crappy scan was 1980, same car I still got, ran 12.80's on stock tires on 5.5in wide magnums
not to bad for a car I drove the high school then college starting in 1980.

Then me, 1985, 6'1'' 298 pounds lots of wieght lifting and football. Damn I wish I could still walk   ::)
Well do I look like a nerd??

Dan

Cool thread....had to go look through some old pics and scan them. Dan, you and i were doing the same things at the same time....and we both had 68 chargers. Here's the only 2 pics i could find of my first car....yep my first ride was a 68 charger !   :devil: Bought it from the original owner with 56k on the clock ; 383 magnum, console auto, 3.23 SG with crager ss rims and mickey thompson l-60's on the back. Med Blue metallic, black top, black interior.....pretty much identical to the car in Christine. Had lots of fun in that car and did my first cam swap, intake and headers. I had a few street encounters with all brands and usually did well....my best kill was against a friends father's 67 GTO. He swore his Goat would kick the Charga's ass so i called him out one night at 12:30 am. We lined them up and i beat him by a length and a half....that shure shut his trap. Never said a word to me again after that spankin...man i luved it.

Blew the 383 up and swapped in a 440 that i found in a boneyard. Came out of an Imperial and ran great. Pulled the goodies from the 383 (cam, lifters, timing chain) and slapped it into the 440. It ran pretty strong and i got many years out of use out of it. Sold the car to pay for university tuition and it broke my heart. I had it for 5 years and had more fun in that car than any ride i've owned since. You allways remember your first and i was fortunate enough to have a 68 charger as my first car.   :icon_smile_big:

Dan, here's what i was doing in '85....the charger was gone at this point and i was a poor college student. Playing ball was a lotta fun and the memories are irreplacable. Lemme guess....you played 0-line   ;D

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Old Moparz

There is only one black & white photo I have that shows a small portion of my first 1969 Charger SE. I'll have to dig it up to scan it later if I remember. I wish I had at least one nice photo of the car, but oh well. I had to take B&W pics of a car I was selling to run an ad in the local "Want Ad Press" newsprint magazine. It was a 1971 Lincoln Continental, but behind it you can see part of the roof on my Charger. I had lots of fun with the Charger when it ran, & always liked the late night, empty highway rides to see the top end it had.

Once, coming back from a party that a friend of mine from college was having, some friends & I put the empty  ¼ keg in the trunk & split. We were going from New Rochelle in Westchester, NY back to northern New Jersey where I lived at the time. It was about 3 AM & we were approaching the George Washington Bridge & had it all to ourselves. My friend in the back seat, Mark, was fading & slowly nodding out & said he wanted to get dropped off first. Jim, my friend in the front seat, said "Open it up!" when he saw the empty lower level on the bridge.

Without any additional convincing, I floored it & had it up to about 100 MPH by the middle of the 2 mile stretch of bridge where the NJ/NY border sign is mounted. At almost 120, it was time to slow down for a curve ahead so I backed off. When we got to the traffic light at Mark's exit a few minutes later, he blurted out "Where the hell are we?" & swayed back & forth some more. Jim said,   "Near your house stupid, we just crossed the GW bridge at 120 MPH & you missed it." & laughed. Mark said "Bullshit!" And looked around out the window. He then said "Oh, I see where I am" leaned back & added, "How'd we get here, where's the bridge?"    :smilielol:

I don't drive like this anymore, nothing is running right now.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

69_500

I still have a pair of pants like that. Not that I wore back in the 70's but the ones my dad wore.

Okay this is a story of mine, but keep in mind I was only 5 at the time, and it was my dad's car.

We were at my Grandparents house on a Sunday afternoon in the spring of 1983. My Grandfathers friend shows up in a brand new Corvette, and starts talking to my grandfather about how bad his car is. Now at this same time my dad was storing his 1969 HEMI Charger 500 at my grandparents house. So we are all outside checking out this corvette and the whole time my dad is just shaking his head. Can't believe that someone would pay $22,000 for a Corvette. Considering my dad had purchased the HEMI 500 for $6,200 just about 2 years prior to this.
To shorten the story some, after about 30 minutes of this guy showing all the bells and whistles to the Vette, my grandpa yells over to my dad "Dewayne, you got the keys to that car in the garage?"

My dad reaches in his pocket pulls out the keys to the 500, and says "Floyd if you wanna take a ride in a real car, I'll get it out for you."

So my dad pulls the 500 out of the garage, still has the baffles in the exhaust so its quiet. However the motor is not stock, (had been rebuilt by Kellogs Racing I believe). We climb in the car, my dad in the drivers seat, Floyd (Vette owner) in the passenger seat, and I get in the back seat.

We pull out of the drive way, and my dad just takes it up through the gears pretty slowly, 1st gear to 4th, as we cruise down the county road. All the time Floyd is talking about how nice the car is on the inside for being 14 years old. We went about 10 miles down the road to a church parking lot, and turned in there.
As we get ready to turn out of the parking lot, my dad looks at Floyd and ask him how fast is his Vette?
Floyd said he had one up to 115 on a test drive the other week, and that it was the fastest thing on the road.
My dad just smiled, and let up off of the clutch, and we went sideways out of the parking lot onto the county road. Slapping the shifter down to second, you can hear the the tires break loose again. Then banging it into 3rd, the tires squal again. By this time I'm standing up in the back seat, holding on to the headrest of the passenger seat, yelling at my dad to go "FASTER DADDY, FASTER DADDY".   I looked down at Floyd and his knuckes are turning white, and his pipe is just bouncing up and down in his lips. My dad pulls it into 4th gear and I looked at the speedo climb up to and peg out at 150.

After about probably 5 seconds of the speedo being pegged he let off the gas and got back to the speed limit, and when we got back to my grandparents house he parked the car in the garage again. Floyd went straight out to the Corvette and left. About 4 hours later he came back, he had taken the Corvette back to the dealership and was now wanting to buy the 500 off of my dad. He said the reason he bought the Vette was to have the badest car on the road, and he said there was no comparing the Vette to that HEMI 500.

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

warlock

Cool stories.  :icon_smile_big:

Can I tell another?  Too late.... :P

Back in 1970-ish, My brother was coming back from Vietnam, and my mother asked her brother to go to Logan airport to pick him up. At the time he had a reworked 440 6-pack that he had picked up and put in his 68(?) Fury Convertible. I was honored to go with him to get my brother. Out on route 95 we came up behind a 69-ish Shelby Ford Mustang. I remember the Shelby because it was lettered in florescent paint. We pulled out to go by, but the Shelby speeded up. My Uncle backed off and pulled back in behind it. The Shelby then slowed down and my Uncle pulled out to pass again. Again the Shelby speeded up and my Uncle again pulled back in behind. The Shelby slowed again and my Uncle told me to put on my seatbelt. He told me that we were going to leave this Mustang behind. When we pulled out to pass again, We blew by that Mustang and never saw it again. I don't know how fast we were going, but we were flying. :icon_smile_big: My Uncle still has that Fury Convertible in his garage. It does need restoration though as he hasn't run it for years.

73rallye440magnum

awesome story 69 500. firefirghter, were you number 57? If so, you were FREAKIN HUGE. i'd be scared seeing you driving around in a charger...
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

8WHEELER

Quote from: Plumcrazy on November 16, 2005, 12:10:47 PM
OK OK I will let us be called old timers but we are not........ ok we are   :moon:

We are...............mature ::)

We need..............a life............and a sence of HUMOR   :image_294343:

Oh and great story by the way  :rotz:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

8WHEELER

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 16, 2005, 03:32:33 PM

This crappy scan was 1980, same car I still got, ran 12.80's on stock tires on 5.5in wide magnums
not to bad for a car I drove the high school then college starting in 1980.

Then me, 1985, 6'1'' 298 pounds lots of weight lifting and football. Damn I wish I could still walk   ::)
Well do I look like a nerd??

Dan

Cool thread....had to go look through some old pics and scan them. Dan, you and i were doing the same things at the same time....and we both had 68 chargers. Here's the only 2 pics i could find of my first car....yep my first ride was a 68 charger !   :devil: Bought it from the original owner with 56k on the clock ; 383 magnum, console auto, 3.23 SG with crager ss rims and mickey thompson l-60's on the back. Med Blue metallic, black top, black interior.....pretty much identical to the car in Christine. Had lots of fun in that car and did my first cam swap, intake and headers. I had a few street encounters with all brands and usually did well....my best kill was against a friends father's 67 GTO. He swore his Goat would kick the Charga's ass so i called him out one night at 12:30 am. We lined them up and i beat him by a length and a half....that shure shut his trap. Never said a word to me again after that spankin...man i luved it.

Blew the 383 up and swapped in a 440 that i found in a boneyard. Came out of an Imperial and ran great. Pulled the goodies from the 383 (cam, lifters, timing chain) and slapped it into the 440. It ran pretty strong and i got many years out of use out of it. Sold the car to pay for university tuition and it broke my heart. I had it for 5 years and had more fun in that car than any ride i've owned since. You allways remember your first and i was fortunate enough to have a 68 charger as my first car.   :icon_smile_big:

Dan, here's what i was doing in '85....the charger was gone at this point and i was a poor college student. Playing ball was a lotta fun and the memories are irreplacable. Lemme guess....you played 0-line   ;D

Ron

Hey Ron
Boy great story, yes OT and DNG great guess. Wow great picture of you how the heck did you save that? I don't
have any pictures from 25yrs ago that are anywhere near that quality, and then scanning them after that. Yes your
68 did look like the one from Christine I like the look and the year   ;D   Do you think me owning the same car for 27yrs
is getting out of hand or what?? I evan have the same 440 30-over block bore pistons rods heads on the engine now
as I did back then. I took it out in 91 checked the bore honed out the block, put in new rings and bearings and ported
the heads evan more, polished the crank and had it balanced again.
Yep feeling the burn in practice and full contact I miss it a lot, it was lots of fun and was easy to stay in great shape.
I have football photo's but the are in the year book's and are kind of small in most cases, so I have never tried to scan
them, but yours is fantastic, I bet you miss the LEGAL full contact as much as me   ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 8WHEELER on November 16, 2005, 10:10:28 PM

Hey Ron
Boy great story, yes OT and DNG great guess. Wow great picture of you how the heck did you save that? I don't
have any pictures from 25yrs ago that are anywhere near that quality, and then scanning them after that. Yes your
68 did look like the one from Christine I like the look and the year   ;D   Do you think me owning the same car for 27yrs
is getting out of hand or what?? I evan have the same 440 30-over block bore pistons rods heads on the engine now
as I did back then. I took it out in 91 checked the bore honed out the block, put in new rings and bearings and ported
the heads evan more, polished the crank and had it balanced again.
Yep feeling the burn in practice and full contact I miss it a lot, it was lots of fun and was easy to stay in great shape.
I have football photo's but the are in the year book's and are kind of small in most cases, so I have never tried to scan
them, but yours is fantastic, I bet you miss the LEGAL full contact as much as me   ;D

Dan

Dan,

He he....one look at you and i could tell you weren't a wide reciever   :icon_smile_big: The pics were shot by a friend of mine who was big into photography at the time. Nice Minolta SLR with all kinds of telephoto and zoom lenses. I used to give him 6 rolls of film before all the big games and let him have at it. I've got lots of photos....probably hundreds filling a couple of albums. I remember that particular play like it was yesterday....sweep right, i kicked out the corner and the tackle sealed off the defensive end. The tailback went 55 yrds for a TD. The game was also being televised nationally up here in the great white north.   ;D

Man i'm jealous....you've got your high school ride....simply amazing. Even more impressive is that it's still sporting the same drivetrain....you build a strong motor bud   :thumbs: I tried everything i could to keep mine but student athletes up here don't get any scholarship money. I really had no choice but to let my baby go in the name of higher education.   :bawling: I vowed to get another and now i've got two....thank god !

I hear ya on the full contact....nothing better than banging heads on game day. Anybody that ever played must surely miss it !   :devil: I ended up playing semi-pro for a couple of years then packed it in for the lifelong career before i was too beat up. We have a lot of ex pro athletes on our dept. some from hockey, some from football and in many ways the FD is much like a team sport. Allthough i miss the game, the comraderie and atmosphere in a firehall is very much the same as playing on a team.....without the physical contact but the opportunities for an adreneline rush still exist.

Hats off to ya for playin the game and keeping that sweet Charger through all the years.   :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mefirst

73rallye440magnum

WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

GTX

Back in '77 - '78 we had a '70 Challenger 'vert.
It was a 383 car but we put a 413 in it and then a 440.
While most of the guys had air shocks and asses in the air ala funny car stance we were down low and stock looking except for the wheels and headers hanging low.  We always told people we had a 318 2bbl in it but most people figured by the rumble and lope that it was a whole lot more.
We weren't real fast by strip times in the low 12's but we were quick enough for the street back then.

I rolled my '69 charger R/T before I got to enjoy it much. I sold the dana out of it for $75.00!!

In the early 80's I had one of the first tunnel ram setups in town on my GTX.
Honestly, the thing ran like stink but was a bitch to get running right. There were many faster but few looking as good.
Some other dude had a tunnel ram on a '73 Charger ( and a superbird wing  :-\ )  and another had a Camaro and I ran both of them and took them both out.
My girlfriends car - a '73 Charger was a whole lot quicker than mine. Her dad owned a custom speed shop and built the car and tossed the old 400 and put in a 440. 
We never lost a race in that thing and rumors began floating around that we had a hemi in it thanks to Fred at the local Super Shops.
I took a whole lot of flack about my girlfriend driving but she had heavier foot and better reaction than me and besides, it was fun to watch the other guys face when he got beat by a girl. I know, I got beat badly by some girls once in a purple '70 Cuda one night against the Challenger. Damn that thing was quick!
It was her car but her dad and bro wrenched it. She claimed she helped but I dunno how much. It was just cool that she was cute, a Mopar chick and knew her cam specs etc.

Still, my favorite car was my '68 Charger R/T that was bone stock and even had plastic on the seats and redlines when I bought it in '80.
Sold that damn thing for $500.00 and I'm still crying! :'(  :rotz:

Had a shit load of other Chargers and also a '69 GTX and a Duster but I loved that '68 Charger and that's why I had to go out and get another.
I still have the '70 GTX but I have a soft spot for '68 Chargers.

Wish I knew how to post pics  :-\

cudaken

Glad you guys are enjoying this post guys. Dam, I may hook up the scanner, to bad it is not USB. Thing is slow.

Glad to see other people have some cool storys.

Hope to see some more PIC.

Ken
I am back

PocketThunder

here is my story, takes place in 1993.  I'm 18 and i have a '86 K-car, 4 door, 2.2L, stock intake, stock exhaust, stock tires.  So i got my g-friend with me and we're heading to the mall on a Saturday evening.  6 lane road, a '92 Rustang 5.0 pulls up next to me at the light.  Some other guy and his chicky in the car.  So i said to my girlfirend watch this...  one on the brake and one on the gas, light goes green and i smoke him off the line.  Aires hits second gear and we're at crusing speed doing 45 in a 45.  The Rustang pulls up next to me, looks over, laughs, i give him the thumbs up, then start rocking back and forth in my seat to get the Aires some momentum.  Then the Rustang guys drops to 3rd and blows me away.  So, sure, he didnt know i was racing but i felt cool since i got that reaction time off the light in the K-car...   

Paul
in St. Paul

PS:  I dumped the girlfiend a month later by the way because she kept turning the radio to country and was gonna make me listen to it.  I told her, you never touch a mans radio!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mefirst on November 17, 2005, 04:02:25 AM
Is that small dude with the #57 jersey Ron? :nana:

Yep, i'm the little 265lb guy in that pic....how'd ya know there Swede boy ?   :devil: :lol: :cheers:

Cool thread.....keep the pics and stories coming. Ken, get that scanner fixed and start uploading ! Half a million miles driving a mopar ; there's bound to be some great stories you haven't told....yet !   :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Mefirst

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 17, 2005, 02:11:18 PM
Quote from: Mefirst on November 17, 2005, 04:02:25 AM
Is that small dude with the #57 jersey Ron? :nana:

Yep, i'm the little 265lb guy in that pic....how'd ya know there Swede boy ?   :devil: :lol: :cheers:
Ron

Ron** In scandinavian standards a 265lbs guy is a small/medium size guy... -Now where did that little # 57 guy run off to again :scope: -There he is, tackle him into the mud :nana:

:lolexplode:

Hmm, Ron you know, if i was to loose that time slip race next season, I think id have to send the bottles of Heineken one bottle at a time, you dont seem to be the size that can handle more than one beer at a time, more than one and youll be on your knees :cheers:

Take care bro..

/Tom

Ps. Keep the memories coming old folks, this is the best thread in a long, long time.. Hopefully a still wet behind my ears brat can lern something..

Charger_Fan

Ok this isn't a kill story, but pretty funny.

One night Me, my wife (gf at the time) & a friend of mine were cruising (yep, my 66 truck again) toward a new patch of freeway that hadn't been opened to traffic yet. I had noticed a few days before that it looked all completed for at least a couple miles. For any Salt Lake guys, it was west side I215, heading north...1983.
I wormed my way onto that nice new patch of freeway, stopped & let the tailgate down (that, with windows up, was always good for more top end :D). Then it was blast off!

In no time, my speedo needle had dissappeared. It only went to 100, but with previous comparisons, I knew it was good for around 130. We were flying low, with not one other car in sight, just us...WOO-HOO!!
Suddenly, up ahead there was a wall of barricades...HOLY CRAPOLEE!! :o I got all over the binders, which at the time, were still drums & did absolutely nothing to slow me down. Brake fade was instantaneous.
You'd think a big brick like that would slow down fast...nope.

I frantically downshifted as the truck gradually slowed, the barricades got closer real fast...and beyond the barricades, was nothing, couldn't see squat, just BLACKNESS! My wife was doing ok, but my friend started screaming & had a friggin' death grip on the dash! :cryin:
We were still doing about 40 when we arrived at the barricades, but there was a gap just wide enough to slip through. As we passed, we went down a small gravel ramp, where it leveled out for a bit. As soon as the tires hit the gravel, all 4 locked up & it fishtailed. I let off, corrected & back on again...it went sideways again. We were heading toward a big pile of gravel...SIDEWAYS, WITH MY FRIEND SCREAMING THE WHOLE WAY! We thudded up against the pile, my friend opened the door & fell to the ground...yep, crying. ;D
My wife & I crawled out to console my friend who was now crying "I thought we were dead" about 5 times over. She felt bad for him & I was laughing...partly because I thought we were dead too! :smilielol:

We had to dig a little to get it out of the gravel, then we drove home nice-n-slow. :angel:

It was only a few weeks after that when I cracked my front drum. :-\
Oh & I don't have any pics of that night. hehe :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

GTX

I wasn't gonna get into this but I guess I will.

Summer of 1977, I was 17 and we were cruisin' State street in Salt Lake City in the '70 Challenger. Bad Company blasting on the 8 track. My buddy Evan was driving and Tony and I were fighting over who got shotgun and who looked like the dork in the back, I won shotgun.

Along comes a '67 or '68 Firebird 400 wanting to go the gears. We ran a few bunny hops and then some partial runs to test each other and to Tony and I at least it was apparent that the Firebird was too quick for us.  Now Evan wasn't one to back down from smack talk and they talked him into a $400 race. I had about $20.00 or so and Tony had about the same. I think Evan had like $150.00 so we by no means had the cash to lose.

One mistake was running top down with three guys in the car but then the Firebird had like 4 guys in it too.
We ran through the gears and were fairly close through the first two but the third sort of began to leave us behind. He hit fourth and we were gone by then and lost.

Well, did we take it like men? No, we ran like hell!
Evan was so positive that he could outdrive this other guys power that he didn't stop to think about what if we lost. He was sure that the Firebird was lower geared and with our 440 we had the top end over the Firebird 400.

So we take off running down State St in Salt Lake. This was back when you could actually run pretty fast on the streets and we were!
We turned West at some point I'm not clear on since I was holding on for dear life. We went West dodging in and out of neighborhoods trying to ditch the Firebird which was in hot pursuit.
We ended up in a trailer park of some sort running hard around the tiny streets and we finally pulled in real quick and parked by the pool. We though that if we put the top up real quick and parked among the other cars the Firebird might miss us. Yea right!

We jumped out of the car and scattered every man for himself. I was last away from the car and lost Tony and Evan right away but I ran for the poolhouse and stood in the shadow just under the floodlights. That's all I had time for before the guys in the firebird came around the corner hot and saw the car and looked in but saw that we were gone. I guess they thought we lived in the park because they began searching for us. Right about then Tony and Evan came back around from wherever they were and we all piled back in the car and took off.

As we went down this semi long road onto the main street we left the headlights off and turned them on just as we got close to the street and looking back we saw that the Firebird saw us and was coming hard after us but also saw 2 cop cars coming down and ready to turn into the park. We slowed down and cruised real casual past the cops hoping they didn't get the description of us or that a description was maybe a convert and we had the top up now.
The cops went right past us, I think they saw the Firebird first because he was moving fast and didn't notice us because they headed straight to it and lit up the lights.

We casually cruised out and away and then after screaming at Evan for a while over how the thing turned out and how it might have we decided that the Firebird guys would now be more pissed than ever and come out after us again. We sure as hell couldn't go back on State so we ended up out at the $3.00 a car load drive-in hang out and chatted with some girls from other schools. That was much more fun than getting the shit beat out of our punk asses.

Ok, so was that chicken shit move?
Yes, it was but it wasn't my idea and we were also dumb kids then but did it make a memory I'll not forget? Hell yea!

We never raced for money again unless we had the dough in the wallet.

I've also since owned a '68 firebird 'vert 400 HO and I can attest that they are damn fast!

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 17, 2005, 07:44:55 PM
Ok this isn't a kill story, but pretty funny.

One night Me, my wife (gf at the time) & a friend of mine were cruising (yep, my 66 truck again) toward a new patch of freeway that hadn't been opened to traffic yet. I had noticed a few days before that it looked all completed for at least a couple miles. For any Salt Lake guys, it was west side I215, heading north...1983.
I wormed my way onto that nice new patch of freeway, stopped & let the tailgate down (that, with windows up, was always good for more top end :D). Then it was blast off!

In no time, my speedo needle had dissappeared. It only went to 100, but with previous comparisons, I knew it was good for around 130. We were flying low, with not one other car in sight, just us...WOO-HOO!!
Suddenly, up ahead there was a wall of barricades...HOLY CRAPOLEE!! :o I got all over the binders, which at the time, were still drums & did absolutely nothing to slow me down. Brake fade was instantaneous.
You'd think a big brick like that would slow down fast...nope.

I frantically downshifted as the truck gradually slowed, the barricades got closer real fast...and beyond the barricades, was nothing, couldn't see squat, just BLACKNESS! My wife was doing ok, but my friend started screaming & had a friggin' death grip on the dash! :cryin:
We were still doing about 40 when we arrived at the barricades, but there was a gap just wide enough to slip through. As we passed, we went down a small gravel ramp, where it leveled out for a bit. As soon as the tires hit the gravel, all 4 locked up & it fishtailed. I let off, corrected & back on again...it went sideways again. We were heading toward a big pile of gravel...SIDEWAYS, WITH MY FRIEND SCREAMING THE WHOLE WAY! We thudded up against the pile, my friend opened the door & fell to the ground...yep, crying. ;D
My wife & I crawled out to console my friend who was now crying "I thought we were dead" about 5 times over. She felt bad for him & I was laughing...partly because I thought we were dead too! :smilielol:

We had to dig a little to get it out of the gravel, then we drove home nice-n-slow. :angel:

It was only a few weeks after that when I cracked my front drum. :-\
Oh & I don't have any pics of that night. hehe :icon_smile_big:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   Holy Crap that was funny.   I was riding dick in the middle one time with two buddies in a F-150 once.  We were zipping thru the park one day after school and my buddy decides to punch it thru the grass and "drift" around the picnic tables.  So we're drifting pretty fast and he drifts sideways onto the blacktop path and the truck skips sideways and we thought we were gonna tip it.  All my buddy saw on the pass side door was asphalt comming up fast.  The truck tipped back on its wheels and we were safe but my friend on the pass side had to change his shorts :o
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

cudaken

Firefighter (Ron) only 400,000 miles ;) I will save the dumpest thing for later. But this will be close and all most hope no one reads it. (primers fum's are making me do it)

Around 1985 and the PIC I posted at the from the start I sent my rear bumper out to be plated. Plater's got it back late on a Friday around 4:00 PM. I wanted to go play, but guess what, I lost the right bolts and washers? I found some bolts that sort of held on the bumper and went cruzing on Madison ave again.

Rolled into the local Steak and Shake, all the car people eyes where on me and the Runner. By this time I had a bas ass stick it in you Locker rearend. Pulled in slow so ever one could hear her hitting like a can full of rocks. Backed into the stall, order a shake and pooped the hood. ;D Had to let lesser people bast in the 426 Maxie Glory, it was only fair right ;)

Got done with the shake and was time to hunt wild game. Heard there was a nasty Goat that was running his mouth about kicking my ass (Judge with 455) but I saw him at the track! Guy could not cut a good light if you called him the day before and was running 12.6's with slicks. Was telling everyone he was in the 10's, yep easy prey. More mouth than motor, easy kill.

Closed the hood amnd fired her up, easyed out of the stall, people stopped talking and just listen to the sound of a solid lifter cam in heat. Was going to go left on Madsion, saw the Goat a block away and at a long light right before the Super Shop parking lot, get a kill there, well you know ;D

Now, you are thinking man this is a good kill story, Not! Stake and Shake had a real steep exit, remember the new bumper? It drag just a little, not much. FU-KER fell off the FU-KING Road Runner and was laying on the FU-KING street! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_approve: ;)

Man, I wanted to drive off so bad and leave it there ;D You want to talk about feeling 4" tall when I got out and picked it up and stuck it in the car. Took me a few weeks to get the ball's up to head back to the cruse but I did.

Guy told people he scraed the bumper off me.  :icon_smile_angry: Waxed him big time the next time out, 3 cars off the line before he got his shit moving. Told the folks at S&S next time I would send him a wake up call before we ran. They forgot about the bumper and I sure in hell never brought it up!

Next?

Cuda Ken and there are still good stoys to cone! Well one real dumb one that makes this look a starter. ;)

I am back

Ghoste

Here's one that happened in the silver 69 that I posted earlier.  I was driving out of town one day on a street that was a four laner.  I had my girlfriend with me and as we came to a stoplight, there were a pair of cars in front of us.  Left lane was a brown Camaro and the car in front of me was one of those English sports cars like an MG of some sort.  Anyway, the light turns green and the MG just nails it.  You can hear his little tiny engine screaming and his little 5 inch wide tires were making little squeaky noises and the Camaro guy just pulls away like normal traffic.  The next light comes up and the MG is stopped in front of the Camaro and there is a different car in front of me.  Light goes green and it's the same scene played out again.  This time the Camaro guy looks over at me and we both kind of shake our heads and roll our eyes about this idiot in the MG who is racing everybody from the light and likely thinks he has the baddest car in town because he never loses.
Finally, the next light I am beside the MG and the Camaro dude is behind him.  My girlfriend is yapping away completely oblivious to everything that is going on.  I'm watching the cross traffic light so I can be ready and Mr. MG must be too because as soon as it turns amber, he starts revving the snot out of that little car the way those guys always do.  You know, instead of winging it once or twice, they do it about ten times really fast.   Briiiiiiing, briiiiiiiiing, briiiiiiiing, briiiing!  I brought my revs up just a little and when the light turned green I dropped the hammer on this moron.   Now there is some engine and tire noise happening the way Ma Mopar and Firestone intended!  I pulled second on the other side of the intersection and the car started howling again as the tires broke loose and did just a little bit of a sideways dance.  The girlfriend was silent now.  I'm pretty sure her finger marks are still in the front edge of the seat in that Charger wherever it is.
Anyway, I pulled into a strip mall up the road a little further and just as I'm getting out of my car, the dude in the Camaro comes flying in and he's laughing his ass off.  He said it was the funniest thing he ever saw.  As soon as I let out the clutch, he said Mr. MG whipped his head over and all he could see was that great big tire wailing away threee feet from his head.  He couldn't tell which popped out further, his eyes or his jaw.  He said the guy was starting to move when I shifted into second and the car went a little sidewasy and as soon as that happened, the MG suddenly realized he needed to turn right and promptly left the area driving much more sanely than he had been before.
Some might not call that a fair fight, but don't bark in the big dogs yard unless you're prepared for what happens if he comes down off the porch.

dkn1997

here is my first 68.  this pic is in my front yard in 1986.  318/904, 50 dollar earl sheib "competition orange", parts store hoodpins, gabriel highjackers and of course, the 15" chrome modular rims with radial t/a's.....
RECHRGED

Charger_Fan

Quote from: dkn1997 on November 18, 2005, 11:36:45 PM
here is my first 68.  
Glad to see I'm not the only one around here with no scanner. ;D

Nice story, Ghoste! :thumbs:

I had a similar situation happen once with some putz in a Porche 914...just like the lump pictured below, but 10 times more beat up.

He kept revvin' me at the lights, but there were bike cops everywhere that night & I wasn't gonna run him. So finally, his girlfriend yelled out his window to go race somewhere else. I have no idea why he wanted me so bad, but I said ok. We went to a nice deserted 4-lane street, where I spanked him at the first light.
When he caught up at the next light, he said he missed a gear ::) & wanted to go again. I walked away from him even faster that time...he said he couldn't get traction (more like he had probably burned his clutch & thought he was spinning). By now his girl friend was giggling.
Third light, I didn't get on it too hard & just kept him about 2 lengths behind me while he was bangin' gears. Finally when he realized he wasn't gonna catch me, he dove off on a side street & I didn't see him the rest of the night. ;D

The sucky thing is that about a week later, my gf & I were up one of the canyons playing tonsil hockey 'til late. On our way back down, the cops had blocked off traffic to land a helicopter in the middle of the road. There was about a 200' deep ravine right there & they were dragging a stretcher up from the bottom. When the traffic was cleared, we looked to see what was down there as we drove by...there was that Porche laying half on it's top, with one side facing us.
Never did hear if the driver lived or died. :(