News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keeping that special old car smell...

Started by Mr.Woolery, April 27, 2009, 09:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Woolery

So after buying my '71SE last week, one of the things I've grown to love about this car is that special "classic car smell" that the interior has. It's a rich perfume of oily, musky smells that can be found in many survivor cars...and one of my favorite smells in the whole world.

The problem is that the interior needs to be restored. The carpets are shot, and seats need to be completely recovered. I've set aside some portions of the old stuff after it was removed, though, in an attempt to preserve this smell. Luckily the car still has some of the smell after removing the seats and carpet, but I'm afraid if I remove much more I'll banish the sweet aroma from the car forever.

Any tips?
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

Back N Black

The smell i remember from the old muscle cars are the pine fresheners hanging from the mirror. I kinda like it.

Mr.Woolery

Nah, this smell isn't the pine air fresheners smell...there's no hint of that in it.  No pine smell at all (that I can detect).

This smell pre-dates those pine fresheners.  This is the smell that you generally only get from unrestored or older restored cars that have seen daily driver use.  It's created by years of upholstery & leather exposure to dirt, oil, fuel fumes, smoke, cyclical growth of molds, etc.  It's not quite a musty smell.  I've smelled variations of it in cars as old as model A's up to muscel cars.

Old Moparz

Cut up a bunch of the old interior parts into tiny pieces, put them in those little baggies & freeze them. Make sure you use a name brand ziplock bag like "Glad" or equal, so it seals in the 40 year old freshness. If you get some generic imitation like wally mart's own brand, I can't guarantee the smell will last more than a couple of days or the parts won't get freezer burn.

Be sure you mix a little bit of everything in each bag to get that correct combination. Put a small chunk of carpet, a piece of dried out vinyl, a patch of the headliner, a cotton ball sized piece of seat foam, a few inches of corroded wire with the rubber on it, & most importantly, some petrified french fries from a fast food chain that was in business back in the day.

Everytime you take the old car out for a ride with the new interior, grab a ziplock bag from the freezer & dump out the special mixture under the seat. If you don't want the mess, poke some holes in the baggie to let the stench permeate into the car, but you'll have to plan ahead & do this the day before so the odor has time to ripen up a bit. If you can't do it a day ahead, then leave the windows up & park it in the sun.

If your sense of smell isn't too good or you're a smoker, you might not get the entire effect from this method & will have to be creative. Get one of those things you put loose tea leaves in & place the baggie contents into it & hang it from the rear view mirror. While driving, turn on the defroster so the air flow passes the tea leaf holder & pushes the odor directly towards your nostrils.

If you still can't smell it, you can try hanging it around your neck.  :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

CB

Quote from: Old Moparz on April 27, 2009, 10:32:30 AM
If you still can't smell it, you can try hanging it around your neck.  :Twocents:

:lol:

I really like that smell too but won't go that far though ;)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Bob

Cut up a bunch of the old interior parts into tiny pieces, put them in those little baggies & freeze them. Make sure you use a name brand ziplock bag like "Glad" or equal, so it seals in the 40 year old freshness. If you get some generic imitation like wally mart's own brand, I can't guarantee the smell will last more than a couple of days or the parts won't get freezer burn.

Be sure you mix a little bit of everything in each bag to get that correct combination. Put a small chunk of carpet, a piece of dried out vinyl, a patch of the headliner, a cotton ball sized piece of seat foam, a few inches of corroded wire with the rubber on it, & most importantly, some petrified french fries from a fast food chain that was in business back in the day.

Everytime you take the old car out for a ride with the new interior, grab a ziplock bag from the freezer & dump out the special mixture under the seat. If you don't want the mess, poke some holes in the baggie to let the stench permeate into the car, but you'll have to plan ahead & do this the day before so the odor has time to ripen up a bit. If you can't do it a day ahead, then leave the windows up & park it in the sun.

If your sense of smell isn't too good or you're a smoker, you might not get the entire effect from this method & will have to be creative. Get one of those things you put loose tea leaves in & place the baggie contents into it & hang it from the rear view mirror. While driving, turn on the defroster so the air flow passes the tea leaf holder & pushes the odor directly towards your nostrils.

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Mr.Woolery

I was thinking about grinding up all the old carpet, padding, etc that was going to be thrown away and creating an "old car smell" mulch pile that would be much more compact than in it's original form(s).  I could put this into a burlap (or appropriately non-airtight bag) and keep it under the seats or in the trunk.  Weird solution, but I think it might work.

69*F5*SE

I think you might be right.  LMAO   :smilielol:

Brock Samson

i truly love this man..  :yesnod:

ipstrategies

My headliner held more of that "OLD CAR SMELL" then all the rest of the interior, I took it out as I do not like the smell much myself.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

bull

Take a dity gym sock that you've rubbed on a wet dog and tie around your neck when you drive it. :2thumbs:

Charger1973

Or just use the old bedding from a mouse cage.   :eek2:

Brock Samson

the part that got me was the old french fry...  :smilielol:
don't forget to spill some milk in between the seats... maybe empty a few old ashtrays and butts and grind them into the console area...  :D

Mr.Woolery

Man, you guys' cars must really smell bad.   :eek2:

Chatt69chgr

The interior of mine was covered in mold so it didn't smell so nice.

UFO

Jeez If I only knew you wanted that old smell.Could've sent you what was left of my carpet and crushed velvet interior.
I went out of my way to get rid of it.

Silver R/T

you mean that "grandpa" smell. Some of the old cars Ive worked one literally stunk like @#$)$
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

SFRT

He may be talking about the smell of the solvents in the plastic outgassing. every older car company has its own 'smell'...all 60's mopars smell the same, all 60's VW's....I like the VW smell.

stinkiest cars: 1970's era fords. something about the foam.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

aone415

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: That's F'n awesome

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

Rolling_Thunder

old car smell can be easily obtained....        mix all these things in an equal amount

1. Aged piss
2. Vomit (only in the back seat area)
3. ass/back sweat
4. Spilled Beer
5. Weed smoke

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

lexxman

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 28, 2009, 12:36:04 PM
old car smell can be easily obtained....        mix all these things in an equal amount

1. Aged piss
2. Vomit (only in the back seat area)
3. ass/back sweat
4. Spilled Beer
5. Weed smoke

And don't forget to close up all the windows and leave it in the hot sunn for a day or two. :icon_smile_big:

plum500

After I get my new interior installed, I plan on using a nice cocktail of cheap aftershave and burn a pack of smokes to restore it. Seriously. I have also already purchased the air fresheners to hang on the mirror to complete the after-effect.

Magnumcharger

Geez...you guys are simple.
Old car smell is nothing but an accumulation of decades worth of farts being trapped in the seat foam.
Everybody knows that. ;)
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

CaptMarvel

I can relate to this subject....everyone thinks Im crazy, but Ive always loved that old car smell...The first thing that I noticed when I bought my 68 R/T was that smell. Funny how little things like smells or songs can take you back...

Mr.Woolery

Quote from: CaptMarvel on April 28, 2009, 09:51:19 PM
I can relate to this subject....everyone thinks Im crazy, but Ive always loved that old car smell...The first thing that I noticed when I bought my 68 R/T was that smell. Funny how little things like smells or songs can take you back...

Thank you, CaptMarvel... 

To everyone else....