News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 vs 440 torque/HP

Started by raull, November 13, 2005, 11:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raull

Hello all!

This is my first Post here and I am looking for feedback on what to rebuild.

I currently have a 1968 Charger with a 383 engine 727 transmission in it. Its not the original engine (its from a 1966 Newport), but the engine originally had a 383 (according to vin number). Anyways the engine is blowing out smoke when I start it up and run it (beggining). I have an oppurtunity to get a 440 with trans (approx. 1978 engine unknow vehicle, both for $200). So I am curious to see how much I will need to spend to either rebuild the 383 and tranny, or the 440 with tranny plus modifications (suspension, springs, etc.). About the Torque/HP what modifications can I do to get better performance? I am planning to drive this car once or twice a week, to cruise around town. I am concious on gas, but if there is a big difference in the 383 from the 440, what the hell.  :icon_smile_big: The rear end axle is negative. what will I have to do to make it positive, what gears? I am in a budget. So I will be doing everthing little at a time. I thx all for the feedback in advance.

Ghoste

Welcome to the group.  If you check around, you'll quickly see that this is a commonly asked questions with a lot of different opinions.  In my opinion, if you are primarily just cruising around town and budget is important, rebuild the 383.  If you want to do a little more spirited driving, buy the 440 and rebuild it.  Parts and labor for the 440 will cost the same as for the 383 so you'll only be out the purchase price for the 440.  However, if you want to get even crazier (and the 440 can easily open the door) then all bets are off.  You can combine the two for a low deck stroker, you can go nuts on the 440, your wallets the limit.
Fuel for the two, stock for stock, is not going to be as drastic as you might think.  The 440's torque means it won't have to work as hard to get the car moving.  Out on the highway, it might be more noiticeable.  Using it hard will make it a great difference but if you're using it hard, who cares about mileage right?
Rearend becomes a question of the rest of your combination.  What ratio and ring gear is it now?

raull

This is the car, I had the bumpers re-chrome to include the pieces. Have not taken a picture after I installed them.

Runner

do the 440. the parts will cost the same for the most part. a 383 that makes the same power as a 440 will have to be a little wilder. it will use a little more fuel but it will run harder.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

cudaken

First welcome. Then here is the warning, 78 is a cast crank which is fine to 450 Real HP not day dreaming HP. But blances is total driffrent. Steel crank 383 balance is all in the egnine. Cast crank 440 front blancer and converter / fly wheel is part of the blances of the engine.

I as well say do the 440, but either must use a cast crank converter (400 polices converter will work with the 440 and gives you 2400 stall) or a B&M flex plate. Also the 78 front balancer as well. Might also need driffrent lower pullys so the belts line up. Cast crank blancer is around 1.5" and steel crank blancer is about 3/4".

Your 727 that is in the Charger will work with the 440 as long as the converter is changed out as well. For $200.00 for both, jump on it now.

Cuda Ken
I am back

71Charger500

Go with the 440 if you're keeping it pretty much stock, and if gas milage is a big thing, get a mopar big block fuel injection kit (including all the parts you need pump etc.) for 500 dollars and will add 30-40 horse and 5 or 6 mpg.  Its a good deal.  I don't exactaly remember the site, but just google it and you'll find something.  Make it a six pack, too.   ;D

If you want to upgrade it alot, i'd probably take the 383.  It has a lot of potential power, and it can make extra juice cheaply, and a lot of it, with some simple bolt on parts.

But in the end, i'd say try a 440.  Its got a better reputation, as well as sound, and its a beast even stock.
1971 Charger 500 383 mod...
Takin' names on the open road.

Runner

30-40 hp from a 500 dollar fuel injection system is a bit of a stretch if your starting with a properly sized and tuned carb.  id be willing to bet it would be alot closer to no gain at all.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

71Charger500

Quote from: Runner on November 13, 2005, 07:52:14 PM
30-40 hp from a 500 dollar fuel injection system is a bit of a stretch if your starting with a properly sized and tuned carb.   id be willing to bet it would be alot closer to no gain at all.     
Yeah you're right, it would probabaly be at least 10-20 though.  And if hes going to modify the engine a little bit, it will be more.  Still, even just the added gas milage is worth it.

cudaken

It is hard for me to believe that a $500.00 injection is worthing trying to run. Ryan, if you post a link it might be a good deal. But the old saying "you get what you pay for" keeps pooping into my mind.

Ken
I am back

andy74

Welcome to the site! dont frig around with the 383,ifits a non original car,build the 440,follow the advice of ken,chryco and firefighter ron,and for the same dollars spent youll be way ahead on horsepower. engines are still just air pumps,and the more you can put in,the more you will get out.as some one already said,the cost will be the same,or close enough. and i for one wouldnt trust any 500 buck fuel injection anything,sounds like a accident waiting to happen!

71Charger500

My uncle used a system just like it in his cuda, well it was built for small blocks (was a 340) but same company pratically same kit same $500 and he said it worked great. 

CFMopar

I'd like to see this 500 dollar fuel injection kit. Only "Complete" one I know off is the edelbrock one and its 2000
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

andy74

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on November 15, 2005, 09:24:55 PM
I'd like to see this 500 dollar fuel injection kit. Only "Complete" one I know off is the edelbrock one and its 2000
me too, id buy 2 or 3 of em

defiance

Edelbrock and holley, but the holley is throttle body... both are pretty steep...
$500 sounds pretty unbelievable.  If it's port, that's 8 injectors, which nobody gets for less than $50 for a decent size injector... rails... manifold... throttle body...  $500 won't even cover cost of manufacturing it, I'd think...  not counting an ECU...
Even throttle body set seems pretty crazy for that price...  a throttle body for less than 200-300 alone is hard to find, add injectors, wiring, sensors, and ecu for 500?? 

It would be wicked if it worked - even if it wasn't very good, it might be reasonably priced platform to upgrade from...

cudaken

I have asked Ryan a couple of times in PM top post the link to the site. I like to see it as well. My guess is what he thinks it is, is not what it is. $500 for maybe a body only, but that would be it is a guess. Heck the fuel pump would be more than that.

Cuda Ken
I am back

raull

Quick update. Decided to go with the 440 and 727 tranny. thx all
Here is a quick picture of the current state of this vehicle.

Ghoste

Well, it looks as though you are starting from a pretty good base if that's it's current state.  Good luck with the rest of the project.

raull

Message to Ghoste. Thats not the car I started with. I will post a pic of the way it looked before. Trust me I have spend numerous months on this car. Spending most of my earnings on it. But hey I enjoy it when I hear people say oh wow nice car man.  :icon_smile_big: Plus I have not mention the stereo it currently has. All I know that I need a bigger alternator at the moment.

Ghoste

Man, that is some before and after!  :o

cudaken

Ghost, you see my stuff when I started? That a good charger ;) Raull, my stereo is the duales, want to stereos, when can talk.

OK, the smoke on start up are bad valve seals. Are you happy with the power with out the smoke? If so just have the seals replaced. I would run a compression test first just to make sure the rest of the engine is happy.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

I have seen your before pics too Ken and I also read your for sale post in the general forum.  You should look at your before pics and think how far you've come my friend.
Sorry for the hijack.

Lightning

I like the wheels on it, those the Weld ones?
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.