News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Optimum Motor Choice

Started by Lostsheep, July 29, 2005, 10:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Would Be The Best Overall Choice?

340/360
Stroked Small Block
Stroked Big Block

Rocky

Quote from: Duey on October 01, 2006, 05:57:43 PM
Quote from: Blue flame on October 01, 2006, 02:51:20 PM
Ok, guys a dumb newbe question please... what the heck does a Strocker mean (small or big one) ???  :-[ ???

Changing crankshaft and connecting rod to provide a longer-than-stock stroke.  It increases cubic inches and torque, within reason.  Too long a stroke will cause excessive cylinder wall forces and wear out the engine prematurely.  Prtty good increase in power for the modification.

Actually on with a smallblock the connecting rod stays the same length, it is the crank and pistions that are different.

Blue flame

Yupp, but I think the better way to go on a small block would be to make it ready to rev it & get power at higher RPM's... so say around 8000... right ?  ::)

As technology advances, so does Murphy's Law :icon_smile_evil:

Lostsheep

Well the Comp cam is in and rockers are sittin in my truck. Although I think I need to do some rear frame rail fixin before I end up finishing the fuel system. Got the new tank in but the rails looked alot crappier than I remember.

Challenger340

"Best choice" engine opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one, and for differing reasons. Mine is just for collecting lint, LOL !

It all depends on what the person is after for the particular application, budgets, and targeted driving styles. I wish it were easy to say "this is it", but that never happens.
The Mopar "corner" in my shop is plugged with different projects, half a dozen mega blocks ranging from 499, 528,540,545, RB blocks from 440 to 499, lowdecks from 451 to 499, smallblocks from 377 to 408, I can't keep track of "whats what" or who's anymore. Right now all I'm concentrating on is getting the guys who go to the Vegas "Mopars at the strip" done for end of March,

Anyways, imho, nuthh'in wrong with a well built pump gas 440. They are cheap, easy, and VERY cost effective !  Funny how 40 years later, the factory engineering still fits the bill for a heavy B body sufficiently to put a grin on my ugly mug !

I've still got a beer bet, with another local builder,(a chebby star), that anytime he wants, on a $2000  budget, he builds a 454, I'll do a 440, and we'll use HIS dyno for the results. Stock iron heads, stock valves, pump gas.
He usually blabbers alot, but he's still NEVER stood up and accepted, decades later.
I think his pee-pee shrinks, and gets hard to find when drinking beer, tough to clear the zipper.

Do a "total budget" first, then seperate the engine portion, and then ask on here again. You'll get some great info, great moderators and resources, some of the best on the internet.

Just my 2 cents.
Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Lostsheep

Well it has been fairly budget to this point. Some things have been expensive but not too far out of the realm. I have bought things out of order due to friends making deals on parts for me. But its getting closer and closer everday.