News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel cells

Started by Yeahmate, April 07, 2009, 09:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeahmate

Hi looking at the summit store at fuel cells. Can someone tell me the difference between RCI and summit cells, besides the price. By the look of the pictures, there identical.  :shruggy:
Thanks

Yeahmate

c00nhunterjoe

from what i can tell its the name you are paying for

Mefirst

I'm in the process of rebuilding the fuel system in my ride. I bought the 16gal. Summit fuel cell Part # SUM-290108
I dont think there is any major difference between the RCI and Summit fuel cells.. What ever you choose, choose one that comes with foam, this to prevent fuel slosh..

I'm gonna upgrade/customize the fuelcell for my needs. I'm gonna change out one of the fuel outlets to size AN12. Drill another hole on top of the cell, attach a AN8 fitting and use it as a return from the fuelpump. I'm gonna use the second outlet, down at the sump, as a drain tube for the fuel cell, put a "Shut-off valve" on the line..

/Tom

Yeahmate

Thanks guys for the info.
Also, the foam blocks for the tank what size are they. Do these foam blocks screw around with the gauge sender?? I take it they just float on top of the fuel???

Mefirst

Quote from: Yeahmate on June 17, 2009, 03:35:28 AM
Thanks guys for the info.
Also, the foam blocks for the tank what size are they. Do these foam blocks screw around with the gauge sender?? I take it they just float on top of the fuel???

:cheers:

I just got my fuel system parts delivery from Summit.. The Summit fuel cell I bought looks to be a good product. There are 5 foam blocks inside it. I will probably remove one of them. I just cant get into my head, that with al 5 foam blocks inside it, that the cell would hold 16gal. of fuel.
You can buy foam blocks from Summit Part # SUM-290190

The sender is a, well I have no better words to explane it, its like a tube with a float inside the tube, so the foam blocks will not interfere with its function. Also the foam blocks will not interfere and clog up the fuel outlets because of the sump...

Here are some pictures...

The outlet fittings are size AN08 but I'm gonna change out the right side one to an AN12 size outlet and use that for the fuel feed..

/Tom

Yeahmate

Thanks Tom, well looking like I'll be buying another gauge , getting a real collection of fuel gauges now. I ordered a complete set of autometers for the charger and on the first order screwed up and ordered a mopar fuel one, but 2 5/8'' not 2''.
I have ordered another fuel  to go with the after market sender I brought.
Now, I'm sure that sender came with an arm/float style thingy, so it ain't going to work with the foam blocks.
And looking around summit catalogs I see the fuel cell come with gm senders.
Looks like I'll be up for a gm gauge now  :brickwall: 

Mefirst

If you check out the JAZ fuel cells on Summit they come with Chrysler/Ford fuel senders (70 empty/10 full) But the JAZ brand is more expensive than the RCI or Summit fuel cells. They look exactly the same and I don't think there is any difference in quality or the construction of the fuel cell itself..

The JAZ 16gal. cell Part # Jaz 201-016-01 Price 242.95$

/Tom

Yeahmate

Man the JAZ are up there.
Cheaper to get another gauge, just another $40.  ;)
Although I'm looking at going an Aluminum Fuel Cells.

So those sponge blocks are the full depth of the tank, then?? Yeah you'd think they would take up some of the fuel space.  :scratchchin:

Mefirst

The foam blocks in the Summit fuel cell are about 4" something high, so they don't like "fill" up the whole fuel cell.. I guess when you fill the fuel cell with fuel, the foam blocks float about inside it.. If the foam blocks rob displacement I have yet to determine, never had a fuel cell in any car before :scratchchin: I don't know how they measure the volume of the cell, like is it with or with out the foam...

I also looked at the aluminium fuel cells, but I didint like that they al come with AN08 outlets and its a fiddle to cut off the AN08 outlet and weld in a larger one.. Then again this is al about what you prefere.. One could use a Y-block in the feed line...

/Tom

68chargerboy

do u install the cell in your trunk or in the factory location?  if you put it in the trunk do u have to cut a hole in the trunk pan for th sump?