News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seals

Started by dreamcatcher, April 02, 2009, 05:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamcatcher

OK superbird folks..where would be the best and most reasonable place to get all the seals for the nose cone and wing?How many seals are there? :shruggy:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

BigBlockSam

:D

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

FJ5WING

:rofl:

theres been a lot of chatter on the net about seals lately. What seals are you talking about? The nose to fender or nose to rad support? I assume when you say wing you mean wing to quarter gasket?

I picked up the wing gaskets as well as the nose to rad seals from PCG. havent got them yet to tell you about them though.
wingless now, but still around.

sound5262

dreamcatcher

nose cone to fender and nose to k-frame
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

hotrod98

There are several options. I bought my wing gaskets and nose to hood seal from Year One and the nose to fender seals and the nose seal kit from Dayclona. Some people like the Dayclona style nose to fender seals and some don't.
You can also make them all yourself if you can find the right materials. When you install the wing, be sure to use 3M strip caulk on the wing studs between the wing and quarter and between the quarter and wing washer. The gaskets don't always stop the leaks by themselves.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

FJ5WING

I gave up on Dayclona, not enough communication on his end. I was trying to give him money and he would not reply.  :brickwall:

moparstuart

try david patik    performance graphic

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

I like to club my seals
     those damn canadians again LOL

dreamcatcher

Thanks for all the information :2thumbs: Also anyone that might have some information on nose cone assembly (headlights and such) or good pictures I could sure use some help. :cheers:

BigBlockSam

Quote3M strip caulk on the wing studs

i used dum--dum . also on the quarter panel extentions
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

It's the same thing dum dum.  :icon_smile_big:

Oh, and I now have the 68 Runner that I traded for. I gotta get up early and drill the quarter panels for the other Superbird wing.  ::)

Charles Addams

FJ5WING

I dont understand all the extra attention to sealing the wings.I never had any problem with the original set up and dont anticipate any with the car after I put it back together the same way.  :shruggy:

BigBlockSam

Quote[I dont understand all the extra attention to sealing the wings.I never had any problem with the original set up and dont anticipate any with the car after I put it back together the same way.  shruggy/quote]

if you get the chance to improve on the factory set up .why not   :shruggy:

hotrod98

Quote from: FJ5WING on April 04, 2009, 09:45:14 AM
I dont understand all the extra attention to sealing the wings.I never had any problem with the original set up and dont anticipate any with the car after I put it back together the same way.  :shruggy:

You're forgetting that we're installing aftermarket parts and they all vary a little. The bases sometimes tend to not follow the contours of the quarters as well as the originals.  :yesnod:

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

did you ever see a mopar with a rusted out trunk floor .   :yesnod:

FJ5WING

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 04, 2009, 12:14:42 PM
did you ever see a mopar with a rusted out trunk floor .   :yesnod:

Not one that rusted from the wing anchors leaking.  :nana: Hotrod gave a pretty good explanation!  :yesnod:

BigBlockSam

QuoteNot one that rusted from the wing anchors leaking.  nana

your right. i apologize for suggesting water might enter at that spot   :moon:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 04, 2009, 09:00:06 PM
QuoteNot one that rusted from the wing anchors leaking.  nana

your right. i apologize for suggesting water might enter at that spot   :moon:

We have not seen every rusty trunk Daytona to make that kind of assumption.  :scope:

But I agree that in most instances it would be leaking window or trunk lid seal.

nascarxx29

The other contributing rust factor to the trunks demise .Was the rubber trunk mat.Trapping moisture
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

For years I had two 63 Belvederes sitting out in a field. The really nice one still had it's deck lid and the rough one had the deck lid missing. The one with the deck lid missing had a really solid trunk floor and the nice car had it's trunk floor rusted through. Without the deck lid, the water was able to evaporate quickly and kept the floor from rusting. So, the "trapped" moisture is what does all of the damage.
I've noticed that these cars tend to rust alike. I just bought a 68 Road Runner out of Texas and it has almost the exact same rust in the same places as the 69 that I have on the rotisserie. Fortunately, the rust in the 68 hasn't gone as deep as the 69 since someone stored it for the last few years.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 05, 2009, 12:07:09 AM
For years I had two 63 Belvederes sitting out in a field. The really nice one still had it's deck lid and the rough one had the deck lid missing. The one with the deck lid missing had a really solid trunk floor and the nice car had it's trunk floor rusted through. Without the deck lid, the water was able to evaporate quickly and kept the floor from rusting. So, the "trapped" moisture is what does all of the damage.
I've noticed that these cars tend to rust alike. I just bought a 68 Road Runner out of Texas and it has almost the exact same rust in the same places as the 69 that I have on the rotisserie. Fortunately, the rust in the 68 hasn't gone as deep as the 69 since someone stored it for the last few years.
ok we need pictures of the 68

pictures  man pictures

maxwellwedge

Quote from: nascarxx29 on April 04, 2009, 11:13:44 PM
The other contributing rust factor to the trunks demise .Was the rubber trunk mat.Trapping moisture

Big time - I got lucky with mine but a lot don't make out so lucky. The trunk mat was pretty well the trunk floor on the Omaha Orange car  :icon_smile_big: