News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

still starting problem

Started by JohnZepka, April 01, 2009, 06:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZepka

O.K. I've been having a little trouble starting my 383 after it's been started for the first time each day.  I put a spacer under the carb and it seems to help but here's the deal.  Cold starts with the choke closed are no problem, when the engine is warm and choke open I turn the key with no pedal and it gives a quick I wanna start but doesn't, like it just didn't have enough gas.  Then a second later I give it a little pedal and crank it and it will start.  If I try to give it pedal the first time it seems to get to much gas.  Any ideas?

elacruze

Sounds like a carburetor to me.

Are you old enough to have owned carbureted passenger cars? Nobody's car started the first time every time back then. That said though, you should be able to hold the starter cranking for 10 seconds and get a start every time with a little learned foot action.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

JohnZepka

That's the thing.  When I first try and start it, it will crank for a second almost start, the starter will disengage, then I have to try again.  Every time.

1969chargerrtse

Well, on the GM cars if the starter disengaged while it was cranking it was the starter bendex.  The ratchet gear that flies out to grab the flywheel.  Cheap and easy to replace.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Back N Black

Quote from: JohnZepka on April 03, 2009, 04:19:39 AM
That's the thing.  When I first try and start it, it will crank for a second almost start, the starter will disengage, then I have to try again.  Every time.

Sounds like you have a starter problem, the starter should continue to crank when turning the key. With that being said, you should not crank any longer than 15 seconds before giving the starter a break from overheating.

426HemiCharger

I would try to clean the needles, jets and readjust the idle settings. See if that helps. If so I recommend removing the spacer.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

terrible one

Quote from: 426HemiCharger on April 03, 2009, 09:40:23 AM
I would try to clean the needles, jets and readjust the idle settings. See if that helps. If so I recommend removing the spacer.

Why remove the spacer? That's the only thing so far that's given any relief to the problem! And even if it had nothing to do with it, still always a good thing to have to keep the temp cooler in my opinion.

JohnZepka

The thing is it seems to me the starter is disengaging because the engine almost starts.  Like for a split second it wants to fire but can't quite start completely.  After that the starter is fine will turn normal, I give it some pedal and it will start.  It has to be something simple.

11thsfgrp

I have to agree w/ Back in Black...  :yesnod: You have starter issues. You may also want to check your ignition module as that was may problem w/my 440... Good luck to you..  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Hmmm, sounds carb /fuel to me now.  I have something close to that.  My 440 fires up and runs great when cold.  It fires up and runs great when hot, as long as it's been sitting for no longer than 5 mins.  Then it does like yours, kinda.  It almost starts, then cranks over for 15/20 seconds before it starts.  I think the fuel is vaporizing.  I don't have the fuel vaporizer filter on yet with the return line, so I think my gas sits there in the line and bowl and cooks.  Similar?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.