News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Dodge Powerwagon - Leaded gas?

Started by FastbackJon, March 31, 2009, 12:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

Dad bought a 1973 Powerwagon brand new and we still have it. Roughly 48,000 original miles. The engine is a 360 and has never been out. What I'm wondering is if it has hardened valve seats or not. I'm not really sure when they started putting those in vehicles, but I'd guess sometime in the '70's.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

FLG

67_Dodge_Charger

hey Jon
Is the truck exhaust clean at the tail pipe?  I would look for smoke at start up.  I would check with Ron and see if he knows for sure on the harden valve seats. I would run it and wait for smoke or power loss.  Do you know the gear in the rear end?  A suregrip with 4.10 would be nice for that motor...

Robert

FastbackJon

Hey Robert, long time no habla,

Yes, no smoke, clean at the exhaust pipe. No idea on the gearing, but it has locking hubs and runs okay on the freeway.

Not sure who Ron is...
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

mikepmcs

Ron would be Firefighter3931(mod, resident expert, and one hell of a nice guy)
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ACUDANUT

Like this, Mine is a 73 too.

RD

73's had 346 heads that where "semi" hardened on the exhaust valve seats based on the hardening process.  Good, but not like the 452's.  On a side note, my charger ran on unleaded gas for 20 years and it had 346's on the 400.  Not one valve was sunken in when the heads were rebuilt.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander