News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

01 Dodge Intrepid engine questions

Started by 69RTSEV88, March 28, 2009, 11:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RTSEV88

A few questions about a newer Mopar product.  I just bought an '01 Intrepid ES with the SOHC 3.2 V6 in it for dirt cheap to use as a work beater.  The reason it was so cheap is that the poor little 3.2 spun a rod bearing and the guy couldn't afford to fix it.  The car is a super nice ES model with alum wheels, fog lights, no rust PA car, etc.... so I couldn't pass it up.  Now here are my questions.  The 3.2 still runs damn good, its just knocks bad.  How difficult would it be to just rebuild it myself and reinstall it back in the car.  I'm more interested in the degree of difficulty in rebuilding Chrysler's SOHC 3.2/3.5 V6. I do have experience in rebuilding engines, just never an overhead cammer.  Or my next option is of course to just replace the engine all together with what would probably be a used takeout engine.  Here is my question regarding this, the 3.2 isn't nearly as easy to come by used as the later (02,03,04) 3.5 is.  Now I know that these are almost exactly the same motors just a bit diff displacement. I have been told that the Intrepids ECM will run all of the engines that were available (2.7,3.2,3.5), is this true?, or if I find a good 3.5, will I have to get the ECM for the 3.5 vs the cars 3.2 ECM.  Also regarding the 3.5, would it be possible to use an older (96-97) 3.5 long block, and just update it with the intake, injectors, and sensors from the 01 3.2?
Thanks
69RTSEV88     

RD

why dont you drop the motor, put in a crank kit and call it good.  no need to mess with the upper end or anything else.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander