News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear sway bar: Is it a must-have item?

Started by bull, July 29, 2005, 07:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Or does it fall into the rear disc brake 'nice to have but not necessary' category?

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

XXSpiralXX

I sure wouldnt mind having one. I guess it depends on how you drive.....

NHCharger

Neither one of my Chargers have a rear sway bar, just have to remember I'm not driving my Stealth RT/TT and there's no problem.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

8WHEELER

I would put one on a modified car myself, I put one on my red car in 1980 that I took off a 78 Dodge Diplomat police car, the junk yard said it would never fit but the rear frame rails are the same and the sway bar has been on there for 25yrs and it does make an improvement for sure. On my anal stock cars I will not run one.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

"Anal stock cars."  ??? Does that mean the cars you're trying to keep bone stock?

Seems like a rear sway bar would be nice to have, but then so would a lot of other things that they never offered in '68.

8WHEELER

Yes two of my cars that will stay in the stock class, I will keep them as correct
as possible I have gone through over 20yrs of modified both are fun to do and
I will always have my modified red car.

Dan

bull

Dan, did you get the PM I sent you about the '68 for sale down here?

8WHEELER

Thanks Bull
No I did not call yet, is it in Oregon as it looks like??
It came to me in my email I don't use often but I read it once a day.
I was looking for it at the top of the screen as a PM and I see now I
have 3 of them ooops never got one before on this new format.

Dan

hemihead

If you go with a Rear Bar you must also have a front bar.Never go with a Rear Bar only.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

HeavyFuel

Quote from: hemihead on July 31, 2005, 09:54:09 PM
If you go with a Rear Bar you must also have a front bar.Never go with a Rear Bar only.

Didn't they all come with front anti-sways?  Just asking.  Mine has a factory front bar, but my car is an R/t.

8WHEELER

I was not going to say anything, but as far as I know all Chargers came with
front sway bars. Cars like standard Satellites and Coronets usually did not have them.

Dan

bull

I was wondering about that too but hey, what do I know? I ask more questions than I answer.  :icon_smile_cool:

8WHEELER

Quote from: bull on August 05, 2005, 01:43:02 AM
I was wondering about that too but hey, what do I know? I ask more questions than I answer.   :icon_smile_cool:

Well no kidding   :blahblah:  but if you don't ask question you will never learn anything   :iamwithstupid:   :cheers:

Dan

bull

My problem is with retention. If I could remember everything I've "learned" I'd be doing pretty good.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

8WHEELER

Are you saying you need to run your backup more often  :icon_smile_cool:

Dan

bull

If I could remember where I put it I'd run it.  :icon_smile_dead:

hemihead

No, not all Chargers came with front Bars.I would speculate that maybe 25% had Front Bars.Fewer 1st and 2nd Gen and more on 3rd Gen .Remember that handling wasn't a priority on these cars.This was the days before Ricers.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Troy

I can't speak for *ALL* Chargers but every '68 that I've seen has had a front sway bar. I'm positive that I haven't seen them all though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

8WHEELER

Quote from: Troy on August 05, 2005, 04:16:24 PM
I can't speak for *ALL* Chargers but every '68 that I've seen has had a front sway bar. I'm positive that I haven't seen them all though.

Troy

:iagree:  OK I will say maybe not all first gens have them, but in 27yrs and almost 20 Charger's
I have owned and other mopar's 68-70 B-Bodys. And also every friends car I have worked on I
have never seen a second gen that did not come with a front sway bar, and I am talking about
a lot of base model 318 cars as well. Yes I know they were not built to be the best cornering
machines but just never seen or heard of a second gen that did not come with one, heck evan
my friends 68 slant six charger came with one that was years ago, I bet someone put a 440 in
it by now  ;D

Dan

Ghoste

I can't think of any I've come in contact with either that did not have a front bar.  I admittedly haven't had near the number of cars some of you have, but I have had a few.
If you think the Mopars from that era are bad for handling, jump in some of the competition from back then.  Chevelles with coil springs and no front sway bars are just plain dangerous.

Kern Dog

There are a few schools of thought on this. Some guys like to run stiffer T bars and leaf springs with a moderate-sized front bar. I prefer to go with moderate t-bar and spring rates and large sway bars. This gives a nicer ride AND flatter cornering when I need it. I see it as "Cornering power in reserve."
I took a 1.25 sway bar from a 1 ton 73-87 GM 2wd truck and modified it to work in my 70 Charger. Yeah, I could have bought a 1 1/4" sway bar from Firm Feel or another vendor, but mine cost me $60 to buy and modify. Rear bar is a 7/8" Addco unit. I love how the car feels, but theres more to it than just the sway bars.  Frame connectors, torque boxes, fast ratio Idler and Pitman, Stage 3 steering box, 18" Nitto tires....Its just like building a great engine: The components must compliment each other.

Mike DC

The front & rear swaybars need to be reasonably balanced. (Or, more accurately, the total amount of spring force at the front & rear ends of the car need to be in balance.  Wheel rate + swaybar rate.)  Adding just a big rear swaybar will make the car tail-happy.  That can be fun but it's not very fast or safe.  It's the same effect on cornering that you get with the corner springs set up for drag racing, super soft in front and super hard in back.  

Bigger swaybars fight body lean better than bigger wheel springs, up to a point.  Bigger wheel springs become increasingly necessary as the cruising speed gets faster.  

If you wanna REALLY do things right, then you set the car's roll center pretty close to the center of gravity so there isn't much inherent body lean to deal with at all.  That works better if the CG is pretty low in relation to the track width.  But by that point we are designing the whole car around handling.

Fred

What a difference the rear sway bar made after I installed it. Now she handles perfectly.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

kab69440

I have never seen a second gen without a front sway bar.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."