News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

James' 68 Charger Restoration

Started by mopar_nut_440_6, March 19, 2009, 03:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69*F5*SE

Hey James, I was looking at the pics in this thread on page 3 and while looking at the bottom of your car I noticed that you have the gas tank strap brackets welded to the trunk pan upside down.  I'm most certain they go the other way unless they were positioned different in 68 compared to 69.  :scratchchin:  Ted

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on May 26, 2009, 09:53:13 AM
Hey James, I was looking at the pics in this thread on page 3 and while looking at the bottom of your car I noticed that you have the gas tank strap brackets welded to the trunk pan upside down.  I'm most certain they go the other way unless they were positioned different in 68 compared to 69.  :scratchchin:  Ted

:iagree: :hack: :smash:

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 26, 2009, 10:29:53 AM

Yep.....That sucks! but atleast its not painted yet.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 1hot68 on May 26, 2009, 10:44:59 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on May 26, 2009, 10:29:53 AM

Yep.....That sucks! but atleast its not painted yet.

Thanks guys,

I received a PM from another forum member who told me this a while back and I have moved them to the correct position. It was a pain in the a$$ as I had to work upside down and ended up making a mess which needed to be cleaned up but the brackets are moved and the additional bodywork in the trunk has been completed!

Again, I cannot say  this enough, this is why I like to do things myself !! FYI  A body shop installed the trunk floor and 1/4's as well as these brackets. They did  a great job in some spots and a poor job in others but I am getting it straightened out.

Quick update:

I have been working outside my home on the yard and my new garage and took some time off of working on the car. I did order some new parts and received two AMD new fenders and a new trunk lid last week as well as a few more odds and ends. I am hoping to get back on the car in a few weeks but currently am wiring my garage and getting my gas in.

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

mopar73

mopar_nut_440_6

Well it has been a bit so I thought I should post some more pics.

I spent the summer building a new garage and have finally gotten back to work on the car. I have been tidying up loose ends in preparation for paint.

I needed to replace the door latch area on the drivers door and have started to fit pieces and make adjustments to the trunk, 1/4 end caps and doors. I also sorted out all of the bolts and have glass beaded most of these as well as rebushed the door hinges.

1968 Charger R/T 440 

Scaregrabber

Great thread James! I've known that car longer than you, I'm glad you're working it over so it will last forever. I'll call you when I get up there, I'd like to see it. We have an offer on our house and may be moving up but I'll believe it when I'm actually cruising the streets and dragstrip again.

Sheldon

mopar_nut_440_6

Good luck on the sale. We will need to get together once you get back. With any luck the car will be getting finished up and we can take a cruise!

Merry Xmas.

James
1968 Charger R/T 440 

68RRFlyer

Excellent work James! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  You're defenitley going to have to drive that thing down here to Houston when you're done.  Can't be that far.....32hrs maybe????  And at 12mpg....hmmmm...maybe not :smilielol:

Cheers  :cheers: and Merry Christmas to you!!!

Dave
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

mopar_nut_440_6

I have been having some issues posting pics lately. I have been trying for three days so I will try one offs.

Steering column  and wheel restoration, followed by the clutch/brake assy.
1968 Charger R/T 440 

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 

mopar_nut_440_6

More
1968 Charger R/T 440 

mopar_nut_440_6

More
1968 Charger R/T 440 

mopar_nut_440_6

Clutch Pedal assembly. Before, a rusty mess and after a bit better.

1968 Charger R/T 440 

tan top

:scope:  nice work on the column & pedal assembly  James  :yesnod:
  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 68RRFlyer on December 23, 2009, 10:25:49 AM
Excellent work James! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  You're defenitley going to have to drive that thing down here to Houston when you're done.  Can't be that far.....32hrs maybe????  And at 12mpg....hmmmm...maybe not :smilielol:

Cheers  :cheers: and Merry Christmas to you!!!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Funny thing is my first wife and I drove this car to California for our honeymoon in 1986! It was a blast, for me, she was not real impressed at times particularly when we were driving through the windy stretches along the Oregon coast, the California Redwoods, dragging the Camaro and Delorean in Seattle! Hmmm, maybe that is why she spent some time in the back seat and for the wrong reasons!

I would do that trip again though!

Merry Xmas all!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

1969chargerrtse

:o  Fantastic detail work there bub.  :laugh:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

lexxman

The parts look great,was it haed to get the pedals apart?I havent started them yet.

mopar_nut_440_6

No, the pedal assembly came apart very easily. No broken bolts which is a first for me on this project although I hit it with a lot of penetrating fluid and let it sit for a day before disassembly. Take a lot of pics. I have been overkill on pics but it definitely helps when reassembling the pieces.  :yesnod:
1968 Charger R/T 440 

mopar_nut_440_6

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I have been on the site. Been a busy 6 months.

I am not going to go into too many details but will say my world was turned upside down and I am now in a rebuilding stage of my life, again!

Good news is, I was under the gun to get my car painted before I put it into storage. I did get this done and have some pics to post! I also had to buy a trailer and found a beauty! Now I am mobile even though the car has no wheels!

Another bonus is that I had to take a look at my life and decide what I wanted to do with the rest of it and knew I wanted a change to get away from my home town. So, I have started my own consulting business and was able to land a job in Orange County, California. I start in 2 weeks with them and am super stoaked to get there.

Enough of my Anne Landers story, time for the pics.

I will post a link shortly to my CarDomain site wheer the pics will be uploaded. Technical difficulties!

The link!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2442828/1968-dodge-charger/page-11
1968 Charger R/T 440 

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

The point is obviously moot now but I would have recommended you not paint the outside of the car until it was mostly assembled... speaking from experience.

lexxman

I friend of mine told me the same thing.Any car he restores,he saves the the main paint for the end.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: lexxman on December 02, 2011, 04:48:41 PM
I friend of mine told me the same thing.Any car he restores,he saves the the main paint for the end.

The only problem is I am going through a divorce and she kept the house so I needed to get paint on the car prior to putting it away and moving as it will be a while before I have a shop again. Its all good I have done this before, just need to be careful!
1968 Charger R/T 440