News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

James' 68 Charger Restoration

Started by mopar_nut_440_6, March 19, 2009, 03:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

James, let me know what kind of customs charges you get. When I ordered my rear valance from AMD, Fedex charged me $90 in customs charges for a $200 part.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mopar_nut_440_6

I ordered them through Classic Performance in Calgary. They bring in a load every two weeks and handle all brokering themselves. I you tell the AMD that you are brokering yourself you can also do it with no charges. When my trunk floor came in via air I had to drive to the airport and answer a couple of questions and pay the taxes with no brokerage fees. There is also an outfit in Chilliwack I believe who are reasonable and bring stuff in from AMD.

Here is a link to the place in Calgary! They also stock a lot of parts for teh B Bodies.

http://www.classicperformance.us/
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69bronzeT5

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 21, 2009, 11:42:06 PM
How much were the taxes???

You just pay regular tax on the part so I think it is PST and GST. Maybe only PST. I do not recall but no different than if you go to the store and spend 200 bucks on stuff. This is what they are trying to collect. I find that these bigger dealers such as the one in Calgary bringing in a lot of stuff and this gives them a huge break on shipping. My floor pan cost over 600 US to get here from AMD. I will never order direct now as the fenders I ordered are costing about 75 bucks each to get to Calgary and I imagine they will cost me another couple hun toatl including the trunk lid, maybe less, to get to Prince George.
1968 Charger R/T 440 

69bronzeT5

So you save considerably less ordering from Classic Per than AMD directly?

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 21, 2009, 11:57:11 PM
So you save considerably less ordering from Classic Per than AMD directly?

Most definitely, I would estimate I saved at least 400 bucks as a guess and no brokerage fees!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Green71R/T

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 21, 2009, 11:39:50 PM
I ordered them through Classic Performance in Calgary. They bring in a load every two weeks and handle all brokering themselves. I you tell the AMD that you are brokering yourself you can also do it with no charges. When my trunk floor came in via air I had to drive to the airport and answer a couple of questions and pay the taxes with no brokerage fees. There is also an outfit in Chilliwack I believe who are reasonable and bring stuff in from AMD.

Here is a link to the place in Calgary! They also stock a lot of parts for teh B Bodies.

http://www.classicperformance.us/

I have had good service from Classic Performance.

68r/t

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 21, 2009, 11:33:53 PM
James, let me know what kind of customs charges you get. When I ordered my rear valance from AMD, Fedex charged me $90 in customs charges for a $200 part.

Man have you guy's got it tuff,  I,m in Australia and we pay no duties, taxes, customs etc unless the part and shipping is over $1000 then it is 10% gst plus a customs charge.

I feel for you guys, step over the border  and you get shafted.

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 68r/t on April 23, 2009, 06:14:16 AM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 21, 2009, 11:33:53 PM

Man have you guy's got it tuff,  I,m in Australia and we pay no duties, taxes, customs etc unless the part and shipping is over $1000 then it is 10% gst plus a customs charge.

I feel for you guys, step over the border  and you get shafted.

Yes, we just bend over and take it like a man! Ouch!!

Damn government!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

moparstuart

I guess NAFTA aint so free    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Green71R/T

There is not supposed to be duty on classic car parts to Canada.I have even had a stroker kit shipped duty free.It is the shipping and brokerage fees that are outrageous.I just look at the U.S. price and double it,if it shows up for less I consider it a deal.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: Green71R/T on April 23, 2009, 10:21:57 PM
There is not supposed to be duty on classic car parts to Canada.I have even had a stroker kit shipped duty free.It is the shipping and brokerage fees that are outrageous.I just look at the U.S. price and double it,if it shows up for less I consider it a deal.

:iagree:
1968 Charger R/T 440 

lexxman

I haven't had any thing shipped to me .I have a guy about an hour away that deals in mopar,chev,ford..etc.
James thanks for the info ,the guy was off about a 1 1/8".Follow the cardomain link below to see my car.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: lexxman on April 24, 2009, 07:36:58 PM
I haven't had any thing shipped to me .I have a guy about an hour away that deals in mopar,chev,ford..etc.
James thanks for the info ,the guy was off about a 1 1/8".Follow the cardomain link below to see my car.

Just to confirm. That measurement was taken from the backside (facing towards the bushing and the rear of the car) of the brace in front of the spring bushings. Car looks good so far! Will be nice to see it in paint.
1968 Charger R/T 440 

mopar_nut_440_6

After priming the bottom of the car I was looking around and noticed that my pinion snubber plate was beat in a bit, likely due to the abuse the car received when I first bought it when i was 18. I know the car will be seeing some 1/4 mile bashing with a pinion snubber so I decided to reinforce this area with 1/8 steel plate so I sanded the paint off the areas to weld, fabbed a plate and installed it. I then sealed all of the welds along the sub frame connectors and torque boxes and then shot a couple more coats of epoxy in these areas and another complete coat on the bottom.

I then attached the dollies I made to the rear spring hanger mounts and K member mounts in the front.

1968 Charger R/T 440 

mopar_nut_440_6

It was time to get the car of the rotisserie as it is time and I am looking forward to freeing up more room in the shop as it is a bit cramped to work in.

I was working by myself and did not want to do any damage while removing the car. A little slip at this point could cause damage which I really do not need.

I decide to use my engine hoist to raise the front of the car first. I then removed the links connecting the front and rear sections of the rotisserie. This allowed the rear section to tilt back as I lowered the front keeping the rear section of the rotisserie from putting additional stress on the rear panel. Once the front was down I removed the front rotisserie section and moved the hoist to the back and lifted it up. I then blocked up my floor jack and placed a 4x4 beam across the frame rails and lifted until the weight was supported by the rear frame rails. Then I removed the rear rotisserie section, let the car down and removed the floor jack. It took some time but went very smoothly with no mishaps!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

mopar_nut_440_6

Couple of pics of the car down. The only problem now is I used casters which move very smoothly and have no locks. Notice the K member holding the car in place. I may need to use Justin's tape method to hold the car! I am going to need to place the car on stands while I finish the rest of the work. Next step is to install the doors and check for alignment. I can't wait until my new fenders and trunk lid arrive in a couple weeks. By then most of the rest of the work should be completed and paint will follow soon behind that!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

tan top

some good progress going on there  :yesnod:  ............ :2thumbs:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69*F5*SE

Things are looking good James.   :2thumbs:

PocketThunder

Good idea on the roller dollies..  :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Back N Black

Very nice. It amazing the top notch work that people are doing in their own garages.  :2thumbs:

lexxman

Nice work with the rollers.I 'm doing the some thing,it makes moveing it around the garage alot easier.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: lexxman on April 28, 2009, 04:00:55 PM
Nice work with the rollers.I 'm doing the some thing,it makes moveing it around the garage alot easier.

I hope you used locks on the casters! I am going to switch one on each corner out when they come on sale! I was drilling and grinding last night underneath and was using my head to hold the car, ended up with a big headache and sore neck!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

lexxman

I've only made the rear ones,but no I didn't I plan to fix the on the front ones.You could weld up some "U" shaped pieces to use as stoppers  a wood wedge would work as well.